Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Born in the Dark (Analysis)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Born in the Dark (Analysis)

Hi guys, I want to explain about the last chapter of Bleach (514).

There is a very strong metafor in this chapter. I am going to explain it easily but it may take a bit time but at first there is something I have to say. Juha Bach is no father of Ichigo! Ichigo possess the quincy power thanks to her quincy mother and possess also the shinigami power thanks to his shinigami father. It was just a metafor what Bach meant.

http://www.mangareader.net/bleach/514/19
    http://mangastream.com/read/bleach/94009887/21

"This is goodbye, Kurosaki Ichigo. I shall return for you in the future. Heal your wounds and wait for me. My son, born in dark.

The translations are nearly the same but as I said there is a strong metafor here.

To born in the dark means to born in the ignorance. When there is no light you can't see anything. You won't know or learn anything. The one who borns in the dark will be totally ignorant.

Bach's mean by "born" is that Ichigo has begun to to his doing as a shinigami. Ironic... The shinigami uniform, the shihakushu is black colour. No dubt Ichigo was born among the shinigami people. Born in the dark. I will explain it why I'm saying it.

After being a shinigami Ichigo has never learned anything about the SS's strict rules. He has never known the true face of SS and everything that had never changed in one million years. He has never learned his father's doing and how come his father was a shinigami. He didn't know even his mother's true identy. He didn't know what SS did one thousand years a go. I don't think that SS is a good organization and I believe that Ichigo will come to know it, too.

As you see Ichigo was totally ignorant. I don't know anything. No one told him anything! He truly was born in the dark as you can understand.

Now I am going to translate the metafor in English. "My half quincy son. You were born in the wrong side. You are standing in the wrong side. You must stand among us. The people that you think they are good, are the true evil one. You must stand among us and help fighting agaist the Soul King. We will teach you the true and show you the light." It's what I understand what Bach said.

Now I will go in the philosophical side of this metafor... Have anyone of you ever studied the philosophy of Plato? I studied, so I know something very interesting. The Allegory of the Cave.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

There is a cave that is closed with a gate but the gate is not big enough to close the higher side of the enter, and there is also a blazing fire close to the gate and some people transport the goods. Thanks to gate that is not big enough to close the enter of the cave, the light can enter a bit. And there is also a group of slaves who have lived chained* to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them. The slaves think that the shadow things are the only reality. They are totally ignorant like Ichigo. Ichigo is in the dark as you can see.

*(The chain is very important allegory in Bleach. Everyone's hearts are chained by the fate, so by the Soul King. I can't explain it now but if you remember Ichigo had a chain on the training of Urahara in the back. This allegory is very strong in Bleach and I have read the allegory of chained in an analysis of somebody else. It took 4 hours to read it. *-*)

Sorry if it was boring but I thought that it would be important to understand this metafor.

Edit: An imagine of the allegory that I have made last year. It may make it easier to understand.
    http://cheezburger.com/5754141952
    Last edited by ugur_tatli; November 06, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Born in the Dark (Analysis)

@dex
    I hope that everyone would understand it, because it was a bit difficult for me to translate it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool. What you're saying is that the phrase "born in the dark" has multiple meanings.

1. Ichigo was literally born in the dark, i.e. began his life as a shinigami. Shinigami wear black. Black is dark.

2. Ichigo was born in the dark in the sense that he began his shinigami career without knowing anything about the Gotei 13. In hindsight, Urahara could have told him so much about almost all of the Captains that were there at the time. But Urahara is a shady mofo. Heck, all of the Gotei 13 is shady. But I bet that's the point Bach is making. What is SS really hiding? And now I can feel a rant coming on.

3. Because of his ignorance, Ichigo now fights for the "dark" side, in Bach's opinion.

That's what really weird about Ichigo. He doesn't ask any questions.
    He had his reasons for not asking his father back during the Deicide arc, but I still find it very strange that a teenager not want to know what the fuck is going on. I know Ichigo is smart, but his "maturity" seems almost unrealistic to me.

Anyway, good analysis.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Born in the Dark. About Everything. Dad being a Shinigami obviously his Mother a Quincy,it's gonna be revealed sooner or later. No knowledge of what so ever of the world he stepped into. Nothing about the G13 being Murderers or cold hearted before his arrival or Quincy vs Shinigami War or Vizards creation much less another Shinigami representative. Ichigo knows nothing and never did. He's actually one of the dumbest Main characters ever. Everything with this dude is almost instantaneous and he keeps having to build up a resolve. FACE PALM

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I believe he wasn't only born in the dark. His problem of not knowing about himself lies mostly in his dumbness and that can't be explained by any reason. I think every logical person older than 17 would understand in such a situation that you must learn more about your father and mother and maybe a bit more about SS overall, but he doesn't want to learn anything and then he is always surprised like hell. It seems that the guy is a clinical idiot. I can't explain it otherwise...
    After all this happened and he learned the truth about his mother being Quincy he still doesn't go to talk to his father...

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    Well, I believe he wasn't only born in the dark. His problem of not knowing about himself lies mostly in his dumbness and that can't be explained by any reason. I think every logical person older than 17 would understand in such a situation that you must learn more about your father and mother and maybe a bit more about SS overall, but he doesn't want to learn anything and then he is always surprised like hell. It seems that the guy is a clinical idiot. I can't explain it otherwise...
    After all this happened and he learned the truth about his mother being Quincy he still doesn't go to talk to his father...
    It's painfully clear that at the end of the War in Karuka Town that Ichigo is a dumbass.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking back at what he has done to strengthen himself for his family and friends, I can only see him not wanting to talk to Ishinn after FKT to be simply PIS from Kubo's side. What a fuckin moron he was to still ignore everything related to his family, even worse he didn't even confront Karin after seeing her visiting Urahara. He really can't blame anyone but himself for his limited knowledge. Ishinn at least seems to have wanted a 'normal' life for his family until Aizen has gone into the final phase of his plan.

Nice analysis anyway.^^
    Last edited by Schabrak; November 09, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The words point to two things:
    1. Ichigo being ignorant of his true heritage
    2. The true nature of Soul Society

Apparently Ichigo being a Shinigami-Quincy hybrid is a big-deal. Aizen hinted to Ichigo's birth carrying significance when he told Ichigo he was the very thing he had been looking for. We know others have an interest in Ichigo and his siblings too, like how Gujo's cryptic remarks on Urahara having alterior motives regarding his inquisitiveness of Karin.

It's also important to put words in context. Juhabach doesn't consider himself the "true enemy". Who could the "true enemy" be? None other than the Spirit King, whose existence is enough to instigate such contempt from Aizen that it drove him AWOL. Everything Kubo has been writing for the past 100+ chapters points to the Spirit King being the Bigger Bad/Ultimate Evil of the series. From Juhabach's viewpoint, Ichigo is fighting for the wrong side, and his ignorance of Soul Society's true nature (aka the true nature of the Spirit King) is what makes him extremely dangerous. The additional background we get on Juhabach, Isshin, etc. will probably make this abundantly clear.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    ... Who could the "true enemy" be? None other than the Spirit King, whose existence is enough to instigate such contempt from Aizen that it drove him AWOL. Everything Kubo has been writing for the past 100+ chapters points to the Spirit King being the Bigger Bad/Ultimate Evil of the series. From Juhabach's viewpoint, Ichigo is fighting for the wrong side, and his ignorance of Soul Society's true nature (aka the true nature of the Spirit King) is what makes him extremely dangerous. The additional background we get on Juhabach, Isshin, etc. will probably make this abundantly clear.
    I've wondered about that before. Remember when Aizen questioned Urahara? He was upset that someone like Urahara would obey the powers-that-be. And since good and bad are somewhat hazy in Bleach, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spirit King is a mix of good and bad too. Not sure if it will be the big villain though, since I think Juha fits that role. Could be though, who knows.

New Reply