Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2003

Thread: Hold All The Crazy Inside

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Distracted by anime and cookies and forgot. Life sure is rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    It's a bit baffling but why hasnt it been changed? I mean come on, its the DC area right? That's not like a backwater.
    No idea. The NBA team switched from the Bullets to the Wizards years ago because they didn't like the name's association with having one if the higher murder rates in DC. But I guess racism is fine and dandy

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Isnt Redskins a derogatory term? How can that name still exist?

That is like a team here being called the... Leicester Pakis, or the Brixton Golliwogs.
    It's very controversial, even here. Some of the local sports radio stations will not even refer to them as Redskins anymore. The team original played in Boston, and were named after the (now Atlanta, then Boston) Braves baseball team. When they moved to DC in the 30's the owner changed the name to the Redskins. Sooner or later the team will change it's name. It is hard though, the Redskins are one of the oldest, most traditional teams in football. Racist though the name may be, changing it would require going against 80 years of tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Because...logic. It also doesn't help that they were the last team to be integrated, but no one remembers that.
    Not entirely forgotten here. Do not forget that until Dallas joined the NFL in 1960, the Redskins were the southern most team. To this day they have a strong fan base in North Carolina, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is a vocal Redskins fan. The Redskins fought so hard to maintain a monopoly on the south that they are part of the reason the AFL came into existence. They successfully blocked Lamar Hunt's bid for a Dallas expansion team, to which he responded by forming his own league in 1959. He moved his Dallas Texans to Kansas City after the AFL's inaugural season, renaming them the Chiefs, due to the Cowboys also beginning play in 1960. The Cowboys succeeded in joining the NFL because they bought the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" directly from the song writer, angry that notoriously cheap Redskins owner George Marshall was unwilling to pay him. The Cowboy's perspective owners refused to sell the rights back to the Redskins unless Marshall dropped any attempt to block expansion. That is how the Redskins - Cowboys rivalry started, and should demonstrate how important the south was to the Redskins, at that time. Even into the 60's, the final line of Hail to the Redskins was "Fight for Old Dixie", since amended to "Fight for Old D.C.". The Washington Senators also were the last baseball team to integrate. D.C. was a different city then, much smaller than it is today, and without extensive suburbs. Back then this was a small, transient city, more southern than northern. Now we have little in common with the south, more in common with the big northern cities.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we had a similar conversation before David, I'm aware of most of the history. I just see it as some irony, but that aspect of the franchise is n the past. Holding onto the name is a bit ridiculous though and I don't think it's talked about often enough nationally.

I know for a fact that the Boston Red Sox were the last MLB team to integrate though. But it could have been that the Senators were the last NL team to do so. Which is important considering the NL was a lot more racially integrated and diverse immediately after the color line was broken.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Senators were AL. And my bad, they actually integrated relatively early, in 1954.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The Senators were AL. And my bad, they actually integrated relatively early, in 1954.
    Oh right, I forgot. I just associated them as NL because of the Nationals...lol

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Founding AL team, older than the Yankees and current version of Orioles.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Founding AL team, older than the Yankees and current version of Orioles.
    The Yankees used to be the old minor league Orioles that played at the old Oriole Park before it burnt down. Babe Ruth played for them I believe.

And being older than the Orioles isn't much of a feat, they're young compared to a lot of franchises.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Orioles were a major league team, one of the founding American League franchises. The played in Baltimore from 1901-1903.

I've always found it interesting that the Orioles make no reference to the old Browns. Do they sell Browns retro-hats at Camden Yards? The Nats sell Expos hats at National Park, and good thing, the Expos may have had the greatest hat ever:

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Two years don't count!...I just forgot. All I know is that there was a minor league team that stuck around much longer.

Of course not, we're not assholes...wait yes we are, we break out the Red Sox and Yankees swag when they're in town. I think they MIGHT have put an end to it this year when they were relevant again. You can kiss their fans ass when we suck, but not when we're good.

But to answer your question logically, I think it's because most people remember the Expos. The St.Louis Browns aren't even in the corners of most MLB fans minds. There is something very nostalgic and semi-goofy about a Expos hat. A browns hat just looks like a dirty Red Sox hat.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read, the Orioles disowned their legacy as the Browns from the moment they moved to Baltimore. The Browns are still part of baseball lore, mostly thanks to Bill Veeck. They were a pretty lousy franchise though.

Their hats look like dirty Cardinals hats, not Red Sox. Technically I think the Cardinals modeled their hats on the Browns, not the other way around. For a time, the Browns were the senior franchise, until the late 20's. Until the Browns moved, the Cardinals were actually tenements in the Browns ballpark. The Cardinals paid rent to play in old Sportsman Park.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have read, the Orioles disowned their legacy as the Browns from the moment they moved to Baltimore. The Browns are still part of baseball lore, mostly thanks to Bill Veeck. They were a pretty lousy franchise though.

Their hats look like dirty Cardinals hats, not Red Sox. Technically I think the Cardinals modeled their hats on the Browns, not the other way around. For a time, the Browns were the senior franchise, until the late 20's. Until the Browns moved, the Cardinals were actually tenements in the Browns ballpark. The Cardinals paid rent to play in old Sportsman Park.

Hm, then maybe the comparison between the first Oriole cap and the Brooklyn Dodgers cap is what I was thinking of.

I remember it now, the shape of the logo is slightly different. I thought there was a B cap too though...oh well

Yes, lousy. Lore or not, everyone would question wtf that cap is and would immediately recognize the Expos one.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Baltimore sports teams used to be called the Browns. Interesting....

The modern Red Sox B looks nearly identical to the old Brooklyn B. The older Boston B logo was much less ornate than the modern one.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Both Baltimore sports teams used to be called the Browns. Interesting....

The modern Red Sox B looks nearly identical to the old Brooklyn B. The older Boston B logo was much less ornate than the modern one.
    Yeah, the orioles had a similar logo at first I think, then went with the realistic bird.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, when they first moved to Baltimore. It actually looked similar to the old Boston Braves hat, with different colors.

Until the 60's most teams had very conservative logo's and color schemes. Black and Orange would have been new and daring, by the standards of the time. Until the 40's navy blue, white, and grey were seemingly the only acceptable uniform colors. Team logo's seemed to consist exclusively of their host cities first initials, explaining why so many were so similar. The Oriole bird must have been one of the first, if not the first, to break that mold.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 05, 2012 at 02:42 PM.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point. I'm not sure if they were the trendsetter there, or if the Cardinals came out with their bird hat first. Even today, most hats have a letter.

The use of more uniform colors probably coincided with the addition of more teams, though I could be wrong.

Thread Closed
Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast