Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Some strategy not related to aura would be nice too

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Some strategy not related to aura would be nice too

I went back and re-read some of the GI stuff about the Razor fight, and I realize this is one of the few fights in HXH that has strategy that isn't focused around just aura itself.

When Gon did his first Jajaken on Razor, you can estimate that they're roughly equal in raw physical power. Razor doesn't use Ko, presumably because it's too risky. After all, his own ball can make 90 degree turns, and while Gon probably can't do that, it seems like if you're an expert you wouldn't just assume someone can't do the same thing you just did, and a 90 degree turn would easily kill you if you use Ko (you'd definitely end up blocking the wrong spot and die). From what we know, you can't expect to defend Ko without a Ko, so the expectation is that he'd at least get knocked out of bounds.

However, Razor managed to deflect the ball harmlessly directly up, and barely moved from where he was. If not for Hisoka, that means he can guard against an equivalent of Ko with just Ryuu without taking damage, and not due to his power alone. It's obvious that if he blocked it head on he'd at least get knocked out of bounds. But due to his skill, he was able negate most of the power and successfully guarded against an attack that should not have been guardable without moving.

Killua also used a lot of strategy against Gensuru's group, though those lean more toward trickery than actual skill. There's a good amount of props in HXH (Gon versus Gensuru) but most of that is still focused on countering the aura abilities. But aside from Razor, no one in HXH gives me the impression that being physically skilled means anything in HXH. Killua is way more experienced than Gon, but it seems like there's no real difference between the two since aura usage decides 99% of the fight in HXH.

Ironically, Netero uses pretty much used zero physical skill since he just overpowers the enemy with Kannon. Likewise, Meryem has no skill to speak of, unless "I know all" is considered a skill. The way he countered the Kannon is a combination of his near indestructability, and that Meryem simply knows everything there is to know so he can actually see the weakness in Kannon. Actually, the most powerful characters that have appeared so far, namely Royals, Super Gon, Netero, and Meryem, don't seem to use even a shred of strategy in combat. Their strategy is just beat down the other oppponent with sheer power (usually via their aura mastery). I realize when you've a move like Kannon where countering doesn't even seem possible, you don't need a strategy, but it's pretty boring.

Aura is the meat of HXH and there's no denying that, but sometimes I think if you have a guy with really high physical power and aura mastery, and write down some aura 101 tips to cover the basics, that guy can pretty much beat anyone with a lower physical/aura level, even if all that guy is doing is swinging around like a newbie. Killua spent his life learning techniques that help him survive and kill people, but none of them seems to be matter when it counts since aura is the overriding factor. Shouldn't his stealth give him a chance to sneak up on opponents that may be stronger than him? In most other manga, it might, but it seems to never happen in HXH.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some strategy not related to aura would be nice too

The entire fight Gon vs Gensuru is not merely NEN based. It's a planned strategy. I don't really understand your point.
    Plus, NEN & strategy are almost always mixed together.
    The only nen user who is not using advanced strategy is Ubougin. Even Gon is using his jajanken as a trap

And you forgot that Gon had a special training all his youth. He spent his time among wild beasts. Plus Killua is obviously slowering himself at the beginning of the manga.
    Last edited by zelllogan; October 20, 2011 at 05:10 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't mean Strategy, he means Skill, specifically physical skill.

And, well, physical skill has always been extremely important through the manga. I don't think there is a single fight where it's not important.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon versus Gensuru is more about props. If you can drop a giant rock on somebody, that severely limits their options regardless of any other underlying factors.

Killua's skill level is way higher than Gon, but I fail to see how that is advantageous. In fact, Gon randomly charging into battle seems just as effective as Killua's years of training how to maximize his killing potential. Yes they say a lot of skill goes into mastering how to use aura, but that's aura, not physical skill. If you mastered Ryuu and all the other basics, it'd appear you actually don't need to have any idea how you're attacking physically and you'll still win. If you developed a move like Kannon, you literally don't have to know anything beyond just repeatedly using the same move to overpower the opponent.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Gon versus Gensuru is more about props. If you can drop a giant rock on somebody, that severely limits their options regardless of any other underlying factors.

Killua's skill level is way higher than Gon, but I fail to see how that is advantageous. In fact, Gon randomly charging into battle seems just as effective as Killua's years of training how to maximize his killing potential. Yes they say a lot of skill goes into mastering how to use aura, but that's aura, not physical skill. If you mastered Ryuu and all the other basics, it'd appear you actually don't need to have any idea how you're attacking physically and you'll still win. If you developed a move like Kannon, you literally don't have to know anything beyond just repeatedly using the same move to overpower the opponent.
    Killua is prudent in all his fights & is barely hurt in the whole manga. Gon take immense risks & is hurt badly everytime ...
    Plus, it's because of their skills that they can develop their nen in the first place.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I would NEVER dare to say that Razor and Gon has the same level of strength. The first is clearly a monster. If they were equal in strength neither Killua or Hisoka would have been needed in the first place.

Anyway, if of skills we're talking about...I think there is plenty of it. Heavens Arena showed us a lot of those, even Guido had some strategy that wasn't ALL about his Nen (Since it was weak, let's be honest)

Anyway, there is only need of strategy when you're weaker than your opponent. If not, you just charge as you say because that's the best strategy to do.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I would NEVER dare to say that Razor and Gon has the same level of strength. The first is clearly a monster. If they were equal in strength neither Killua or Hisoka would have been needed in the first place.

Anyway, if of skills we're talking about...I think there is plenty of it. Heavens Arena showed us a lot of those, even Guido had some strategy that wasn't ALL about his Nen (Since it was weak, let's be honest)

Anyway, there is only need of strategy when you're weaker than your opponent. If not, you just charge as you say because that's the best strategy to do.
    What of in the case of Macho Gon vs Razor?

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    What of in the case of Macho Gon vs Razor?
    Probably there is anyone in the world of HxH as strong as Macho Gon.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

They both go Hand in Hand. Hisoka distracted that guy in the heavens arena Psychologically while he used his Aura to attach his cards to his body...Real fighters as in Pro fighters use Both strategy and Nen skills to come up with a victory, or a flashy kill....And like Uriel said being stronger than your Opponent in Nen and physically you don't need a strategy unless he release a Haxx Hatsu ability, that'll cause you to lose if you don't think around it...

In the World of HXH you need both to come out the survivor in a Nen match. Especially When Pro's are fighting each other. Being Physically stronger or having more Nen does NOT mean you WIN. With strategy and a Good Hatsu ability you can lose to somebody that is weaker than you...Why I love HXH it brings a bit of realism into the fight....Mike Tyson or Bruce Lee is not gonna beat me if I have an Uzi, or Machine Pistol, Sword (Mr.Lee could most likely still win) or if I set up a pitfall or trip switch.
    Last edited by XXGenesis; November 18, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

New Reply