Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blackbeard

    38 52.78%
  • Doflamingo Donquixote

    2 2.78%
  • Akainu

    8 11.11%
  • Other

    24 33.33%
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

  1. #31
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alternate Reality
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Whitebeard protected Fishman Island at no cost and loved his crew like his son. The boss enemy in the arc where we first met Sanji did not care about his crew at all. Even Doflamingo punished Bellamy. Roger was the same - he destroyed lives, but he also protected his crew and was a good guy. Hell, for all we know only the pirates (especially the bad ones) were probably the only ones affected. Crocodile was evil because he was willing to kill innocent citizens and find the powerful weapon to control in Alabasta. Luffy needed Crocodile, hence why they worked together. Crocodile also saved Luffy because he hated the Marines more. Bon Clay was never evil, he was an enemy but not evil. He never killed or hurt anyone, and from his first interaction, he showed no signs of being evil. He even got along great with SHP and is one of the main reasons why Luffy was able to break out of Impel Down, or even survive it in the first place. Bon Clay proved he wasn't evil.

    Robin didn't kill SHP or even fight them, despite many chances to take them out. Even back when she was an unknown, she never attacked Zoro or Luffy, and she even saved Luffy twice. And while Luffy did fight Marines, he never killed any single one of them, to my recollections. I don't think he's killed anyone in the manga so far.

    While most of these characters have been on the side of evil, they haven't done unpardonable evil acts, or they made it up in some way later. Blackbeard not only killed his nakama, but he captured Ace and had him imprisoned, which led to his death at hands of Akainu. He also told Luffy that Luffy was the target, but Ace chose to keep goin after Blackbeard instead. Not only that, but Blackbeard also had a hand in Whitebeard's death, at the least, and he's currently seeking Devil Fruit users and stealing their powers or killing them. The only way I can see Luffy and Blackbeard working together is if Ace is still alive, and Blackbeard was planning something for the good of others. Blackbeard wanted Ace as his nakama because of his power. He didn't care about Ace at all, and while he didn't want to kill Ace, Blackbeard is still the reason Ace is dead, even if he never killed Ace.

    Yes, but look at their actions as well. Do you think Arlong as he was would be friends with Luffy? No because Arlong still tortured Nami and would still hate humans. Only way they'd get along is if they had a common goal.
    like i said there is a slim chance...but still being good to your crew and destroying the world around you does not make you a saint...evil and good come from someones perspective... for someone one thing can be evil but another one same thing can be good...
    crocodile was willing to kill innocent...and do you think whitebeard never destroyed innocent people's dreams ? that character had a "messiah complex"...he defeated ace and then ask him to become his son...in the end he wanted to be the big boss...
    what your whole perpective is that whosoever helps luffy is good and who does not is evil...that is just one viewpoint...
    blackbeard killed his nakama on whitebeard ship still he has a faithful crew ( his beginning members before impel down) ...their crew chemistry was like luffy one...
    my point was just that maybe after BB looses he can be friends with luffy...coz that guy never had anything personal against him or ace... even though he captured ace still lufffy was able to save him...yet in the end he died coz he protected his younger brother...ace had a chance to run and would not have died if he had ignored akainu's taunts...so my question is that can we still blame BB for his death ? i think no...

  2. #32
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Wasn't Ace the one who challenged Whitebeard? Whitebeard may have had a messiah complex, but he still took in pirates and cared for them like his own family, and he even got along with Roger and helped protect many islands by using power of his name.

    My perspective is that how the character acts define how they are. Bon Clay wasn't evil because he was working on the orders of his boss, and he even got along with his enemies (unknowingly at the time). He even saved Luffy and made sure he could save Ace. Law could still very well be evil because he could have saved Luffy to make Luffy owe him a debt, which would help Law take down some enemies of his and use their power for himself, like Smiles.

    I don't necessarily consider Akainu evil despite what he did because his actions are result of trying to get rid of bad people to make the world safer. Same with Smoker, no matter what they do or try to do to SHP. If any one of Blackbeard's nakama was weak, do you think Blackbeard would keep him, let him go, or kill him? Luffy would still want to keep his nakama, while Akainu would let him go. Blackbeard could possibly kill him, while Crocodile definitely would.

    We can because like I said, Blackbeard is the reason Ace ended up in prison. He brought about Ace's death indirectly. Had Blackbeard not captured Ace and sent him to the Marine, Ace would not have been in prison. Plus, we saw how pissed off Luffy was. Unless Blackbeard can help Luffy in some way, I can only see him as one of Luffy's greatest enemies, especially due to power he wields.

  3. #33
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member dex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alternate Reality
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Wasn't Ace the one who challenged Whitebeard? Whitebeard may have had a messiah complex, but he still took in pirates and cared for them like his own family, and he even got along with Roger and helped protect many islands by using power of his name.
    its true that he protected many...but he also destroyed many...so for some he will be messian and for some devil...how does this define if he is evil or good ?

    Quote Quote:
    My perspective is that how the character acts define how they are. Bon Clay wasn't evil because he was working on the orders of his boss, and he even got along with his enemies (unknowingly at the time). He even saved Luffy and made sure he could save Ace. Law could still very well be evil because he could have saved Luffy to make Luffy owe him a debt, which would help Law take down some enemies of his and use their power for himself, like Smiles.
    same thing...so we cannot define good or bad..can we ? a person's actions can be reason of many things...these are human intincts which drive them...like bon clay was driven by friendship...Law maybe political...so is every other being which is driven by human emotions and instincts...so how can you say that a guy who wants power is bad ? Bon clay friendship for luffy was good for luffy...but in the end he helped escape a criminal and to save another criminal (this was bad in view of magellan and hannyabal who were honest people trying to keep criminals from escaping)...its all perspective...if magellan was the hero of one piece then we would have said luffy and bon clay are evil beings...the only reason we like bon clay is coz he helped the main character which we all support (coz he is the main character)

    Quote Quote:
    I don't necessarily consider Akainu evil despite what he did because his actions are result of trying to get rid of bad people to make the world safer. Same with Smoker, no matter what they do or try to do to SHP. If any one of Blackbeard's nakama was weak, do you think Blackbeard would keep him, let him go, or kill him? Luffy would still want to keep his nakama, while Akainu would let him go. Blackbeard could possibly kill him, while Crocodile definitely would.
    if you say akainu is not evil then definitely BB is not evil...they both are driven by their instincts to the extremes...one for world justice (in the name of which he killed innocent people of ohara...ones who were not archealogist...during war he killed soldiers who were afraid to fight) and Blackbeard for reaching the top ...even Luffy is driven by his ambition of becoming pirate king to the extreme ...his nakama support him and that is why they go along well...anyone in his way is beaten mercilessly...
    as for BB nakama ...the first 5 of their crew were really loyal to him just like luffy crew...they were also not that strong like the later 5 members he got from impel down...Blackbeard (initial crew) and luffy crew both held respect and hardcore loyalty for their captains...

    Quote Quote:
    We can because like I said, Blackbeard is the reason Ace ended up in prison. He brought about Ace's death indirectly. Had Blackbeard not captured Ace and sent him to the Marine, Ace would not have been in prison. Plus, we saw how pissed off Luffy was. Unless Blackbeard can help Luffy in some way, I can only see him as one of Luffy's greatest enemies, especially due to power he wields.
    BB brough ace to death indeirectly...but then luffy saved him...so what BB did went in vain...but then akainu killed him coz Ace didn't run away and got cocky coz of his logia ability...for BB catching Ace was not personal...neither him trying to catch luffy was personal...if there would have been any other pirate of that bounty BB would have handed him to world government...
    you see him as bad guy coz he has been portrayed as one...even croc was portrayed as bad guy...but he saved luffy...that was my whole point...people change after they are broken or defeated by some other stronger individual...he even said to luffy in impel down "i told you sky island exist" then he said "yes i wont say saving ace is a waste...nothing is impossible"... he had definitely nothing personal against luffy...

  4. #34
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Posts
    2,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    The greatest enemy is the one 1.) whose ideology is the complete opposite of Luffy and 2.) will be the hardest to beat, namely the World Government.

  5. #35
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    honestly i think marshall D teach is the greatest villian so far

    the guy is PURE evil, but when you think about it, he is the epitomy of what you expect from a pirate, he is a scoundrel, sloppy , cuthroat, always has some rum and loves adventure and treasure as much as anyone else, and is willing to stab someone in the back in the blink of an eye, he is not noble like whitebeard, roger or luffy

  6. #36
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ankit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Country
    United States
    Age
    18
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    The overarching enemy has and always will be the Marines(for obvious reasons). It seems that BB has turned into a superpower among superpowers after stealing WB's powers. And he and his crew seems to be the "Endgame Boss" for the StrawHats.

    And as always, I'm sure the forces of nature and physics will try there very best to stop Luffy and his friends lol

  7. #37
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BlackLeggedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Blackbeard is an amazing character. He has tons of character development that is only going to get better once his backstory is introduced. He has a great design, and his abilities are completely awesome. He's also set up to be the anti-Luffy which draws a nice parallel between the two of them and sets them up as great final opponents for the title of Pirate King.

  8. #38
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Africa and America.
    Country
    South Africa
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    I think, Oda hasn't revealed the major villain of One Piece yet. All the ones listed so far, will play important roles for sure. Doflamingo for example, it's been established where he stands and that will be settled this year. Blackbeard and Akainu will have similar agendas.

  9. #39
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    I think, Oda hasn't revealed the major villain of One Piece yet. All the ones listed so far, will play important roles for sure. Doflamingo for example, it's been established where he stands and that will be settled this year. Blackbeard and Akainu will have similar agendas.
    No, I don't think that someone random will come in to the play this late as the final endboss. If you think about it, all story arcs after the timeskip are just continuing previous plotlines from before the timeskip. Fishman Island Arc continued the racism theme that first came up during the Arlong Arc, the current arc seems to lead to the defeat of Doflamingo, who was first introduced in the Jaya arc.

    I think Blackbeard will be the last enemy before Luffy becomes the Pirate King. I also think that Luffy still needs a reason to truly hate Blackbeard, and this reason will be Shanks, who would definately want to hinder BB becoming PK at some point. Afterwards will be the big revolution, and the final enemy will be the World Government. I think Akainu will be saved as Luffy's last fight.

  10. #40
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iron Fist Tournament
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Personally, before I accept Blackbeard as the ultimate villain of the story, he would need a new makeover...starting with his teeth. Honestly, he looks like a total goof ball. I'd prefer an ultimate villain that looks more menacing and also has good physical ability which Blackbeard's appearance promises very little hope of.

    So I would much rather have Akainu as a final villain, which I think is even more likely considering the World Government are increasingly being presented as the true evil. Blackbeard is just another rival pirate in the worlds biggest treasure hunt and is likely to only be the final obstacle before reaching One Piece. The World Government, however, are currently the greatest and most powerful organization and are the very centre of the story's greatest mystery: What happened during the blank century. I think they're going to be the enemy after the truth about the blank century is discovered and Luffy rises and challenges them in a battle predicted by Whitebeard
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

  11. #41
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Morocco
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    like i said there is a slim chance...but still being good to your crew and destroying the world around you does not make you a saint...evil and good come from someones perspective... for someone one thing can be evil but another one same thing can be good...
    crocodile was willing to kill innocent...and do you think whitebeard never destroyed innocent people's dreams ? that character had a "messiah complex"...he defeated ace and then ask him to become his son...in the end he wanted to be the big boss...
    what your whole perpective is that whosoever helps luffy is good and who does not is evil...that is just one viewpoint...
    blackbeard killed his nakama on whitebeard ship still he has a faithful crew ( his beginning members before impel down) ...their crew chemistry was like luffy one...
    my point was just that maybe after BB looses he can be friends with luffy...coz that guy never had anything personal against him or ace... even though he captured ace still lufffy was able to save him...yet in the end he died coz he protected his younger brother...ace had a chance to run and would not have died if he had ignored akainu's taunts...so my question is that can we still blame BB for his death ? i think no...
    Have you been reading this manga backwards ? It's Ace who wanted to fight WB, you expected WB to pull out his sake collection and enjoy some sake with him or what ? Also cite those so called " many " he destroyed, want to see that too

    Also about Roger, the guy is like Shanks, minds his own business, once you talk shit about his Nakamas, be beats the crap out of you, wouldn't you do the same if someone insulted someone dear to you ? I'd beat the shit out of him personally. Also he beats the shit out of all those who wanted to fight him... Same way as Luffy

    Evil motherfuckers are like Crocodile, Enel... But WB, Roger ?

  12. #42
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    Quote Originally Posted by Freid View Post
    Personally, before I accept Blackbeard as the ultimate villain of the story, he would need a new makeover...starting with his teeth. Honestly, he looks like a total goof ball. I'd prefer an ultimate villain that looks more menacing and also has good physical ability which Blackbeard's appearance promises very little hope of.

    So I would much rather have Akainu as a final villain, which I think is even more likely considering the World Government are increasingly being presented as the true evil. Blackbeard is just another rival pirate in the worlds biggest treasure hunt and is likely to only be the final obstacle before reaching One Piece. The World Government, however, are currently the greatest and most powerful organization and are the very centre of the story's greatest mystery: What happened during the blank century. I think they're going to be the enemy after the truth about the blank century is discovered and Luffy rises and challenges them in a battle predicted by Whitebeard
    Bad idea to go off by appearance, considering Blackbeard is one of the most powerful and dangerous characters out there. He was able to beat Ace, which surprised a lot of people, and he stole Whitebeard's power. There's no telling what other power Blackbeard's absorbed. Despite SHP's power increase, the Blackbeard crew would still be the stronger one, at least Blackbeard himself would be stronger than Luffy thanks to two DF's abilities.

  13. #43
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iron Fist Tournament
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    I have little doubt that Blackbeard is one of the most powerful characters right now but that's probably thanks to his mastery of his devil fruits, not his speed or strength. I don't remember him performing any great physical feats in his fight against Ace or in the battle of Marineford. Everything he did was done in one position, give or take some inches. It's clear that physical prowess isn't one of his strong points and it seems to me that his collection of overpowered devil fruits is meant to compensate for that. An enemy like Whitebeard or Shanks is what I want for Luffy, someone with incredible power and haki which alone can split the skies. Someone like Blackbeard will be a good enemy for Luffy, but most likely not his last.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

  14. #44
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,832
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    But Shanks himself said that Blackbeard was able to wound him when they fought, so who knows? Blackbeard is likely much stronger than what you think, especially considering he's been on Whitebeard's ship for a long time, and I think Ace said he should be captain of the division instead.

  15. #45
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iron Fist Tournament
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Who do you think is the Greatest Enemy in the Story?

    From what we've seen of Blackbeard, it's pretty clear that the fight against Shanks (if it was even was a full blown fight) probably wasn't recent. I'm not saying he ain't strong though, but just not a very interesting fighter. He kinda reminds me of Magellan and Shiki. Magellan's power allowed him to completely wipe out Blackbeard's crew but was still brought to his knees by a punch from a pre-time skip Luffy, and Shiki's was presumably able to give Garp and Sengoku a pretty hectic fight with his ability before losing but was still brought down by a pre-time skip Luffy. Point is your devil fruit can only get you so far. Whitebeard has already told Blackbeard about overestimating his ability and having a weak defense. Even Ace trumped him in terms of physical ability. In my opinion, an ideal final enemy for Luffy would be someone with strong haki and physical ability, someone like himself. That's one of the reasons that made the fight against Lucchi a top 5 fight. It wasn't a predictable fight where Luffy relentlessly tries to beat the hax ability, but instead a clash of real power.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts