Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Can you really say this manga has dug itself in a hole and is desperately trying to get out when it's only 5 chapters long so far? Yeah, it's generic but that has worked plenty of times in the past. It's a slightly enjoyable read when it comes out and I would like to see it evolve into something more appealing but who knows.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

it might seem like jumping the gun in retrospective, but when you consider the first 5 chapters has more pages to gain traction and give some sort of general direction it doesnt.

about being generic; it doesnt necessarily mean it is bad but also not so good either.

i wont say it cant turn itself around but it usually is harder.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally while I find it a bit generic I still think it's too early to make a call on it. Frankly JUMP action series are rarely super interesting right out of the gate. D. Gray Man and Psyren are the only significant exceptions that I can think of, and the latter wasn't even shown to be a shonen action series till later on. Of course with the way new series have been flopping I don't expect it to find enough time to hit it's stride but who knows. Guess we'll see what happens. I think it still has the chance to build on it's potential of if it actually gets to stick around a bit.

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I just skimmed through the raw of the new chapter and I'll stick with what I said last week: The introduction of the Hungry Jokers was a nice turning point. Alan and Mira make fine additions to the main cast and chapter 6 starts shedding some light on the main conflict of the story. It contains quite a bit of explaining in regards to a few backgrounds of the story/world and so on and so forth.

Spoiler: Tidbit of ch.6 show

Others are free to disagree, but I for one see some improvement here and start enjoying the series for what it is and what it could turn out to be. (Kinda like what Divinenega said.)

Hope to finish the TL for the chapter tomorrow, but I can't promise anything. (Plus, one of the cleaners for the series [who also provides us with HQ raws] is still MIA, god knows when we can launch a proper release without him...)

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

This chapter was what I needed. It pushed the series that inch further to become something I care about. The Joker stuff should give this series a proper purpose

Banned 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    British Virgin Islands
    Post Thanks / Like

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner SubliminalInsanity's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to this series and just finished the latest translated chapter about a half hour ago. I wasn't sure about this at first, but certain elements have caught my interest.

A few hints that Tabata leaves, in two or three of the chapters thus far, that makes me feel like this series can get better as it builds is within the main protagonist himself.

Spoiler show

I look forward in seeing what direction Tabata will take us in using this, and how Haiji and company will uncover the world of science in the pursuit of revealing his past.
    Last edited by SubliminalInsanity; January 27, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Best Buds

MH's Best Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mr. Prince's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hungry Joker by Tabata Yuuki

Urgh, it's a shame that RL-related stuff keeps interrupting with our releases... I already got scripts for all the chapters done but there's just always getting something in our way. One time there's a cleaner MIA, the other time it's a proofreader or redrawer, but it can't be helped.

I just hope people still bother to read Kiss Scanlations releases even if they have to wait a little. The speed scanlations that are floating around all over the net are just so off in numerous passages. Honest to God, it's more than often that translations are plain wrong or implied meanings and subleties are completely neglected...

So for your own sake of enjoying the series I'd recommend you to check out Kiss Scans versions!

From what I heard the guys are going for a double release tomorrow, closing the gap a little. I'll make sure to edit here and leave a short notice for everybody who might be interested. : )

--

Other than that, I still find the series to be somewhat enjoyable. The other Hungry Joker members, no matter how much of a stereotype they might be, are all kinda nice and add variety to the cast:
    We have the seemingly cool and unshaken rival (with a nice discrepancy in regard to his inner emotions) [Alan], the jolly and cheerful Loli [Mira], and a spoiled and haughty Tsundere [Vivienne].

Still keeping my fingers crossed that the series will pick up in the rankings and avoid getting canned all too soon.

---------- Post added February 06, 2013 at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was February 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM ----------

Finally got my scripts for chapters 9 and 10 proofed and was told that the scans should be ready in the next 24 hours.

Make sure to swing by.

TL: Oumagadoki Doubutsuen (29/37) || *NEW* HUNGRY JOKER (latest update: case.12+13) • Meet the Man: Sterling Cooper Ad Agency

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Hnnngh! Okay, yeah, a gender-fluid character is basically all I needed to start liking this series. Why am I so fickle?!

Although for real, latest chapter felt like a completely different series. More of the fun, less of the D.Gray-Man

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member redcorpse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

chapter 19 raws out: http://raw.senmanga.com/Hungry_Joker/19

Spoiler show

im so happy chitose will probably become powerful

---------- Post added April 09, 2013 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was March 29, 2013 at 08:04 AM ----------

chapter 20 raws out

http://raw.senmanga.com/Hungry_Joker/20

Spoiler show

i cant help but feel that this chapter was done poorly and was rushed, the series probably got axed and is going to finish in a few chapters
    Last edited by redcorpse; March 29, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member obamamania's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...it's over and it was rushed into oblivion. I suppose with so much to rush, it probably couldn't have done better in doing so, but I still think the manga in general made too many enormous mistakes. The first was the manga itself basically rewriting itself after the Oneshot into an entirely different manga in every possible way, almost as if the mangaka was trolling with the original premise. The rewrite itself actually had way more potential in my opinion, but it started off way too quickly with the action without really setting up a good atmosphere or prelude and from there on just making it a string of fights. It became a good concept wrapped in a generic plot, that's what killed it, and even though the oneshot story was slightly more generic it was setup much better.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

It was flawed but it has potential to become more. The main character was really good and it was possible for this manga to be something else. A waste

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3