Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Who will Seira fight?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 10th Elder (maybe Regis will fight Bonerre.)

9 90.00%
  • The 10th Elder & Bonerre.

0 0%
  • Nobody, the Union will retreat.

1 10.00%
  • Other(please post)

0 0%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 258 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 258 Review

Last week's poll was on whether the 10th Elder would fight or retreat. The poll was tied, with myself being on the "retreat" side of the fence which virtually guaranteed he would "fight"; and fight he did. Congratulations to all those who picked correctly.

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

If a person didn't know anything about Noblesse, I wonder who they would think is the bad guy here?

This week picks up the story with Frankenstein facing off against the 11th Elder who has now transformed into a praying mantis like form, and having a merry old time doing it. As the fight rages on it becomes increasingly apparent to the 10th just how strong and skilled Franky is.

Even M-21 is surprised by just how easily Franky manages such a fight and asks Raziel how it is that he is able to fight such strong opponents so easily considering that even he couldn't have had very many opportunities to fight opponents at this high a level. Raizel explains that when Franky lived with him in Lukedonia he's fights with clan leaders were frequent, Ragar in particular...

Using his control of the fight, Franky skillfully sends both the 11th Elder's attacks and his own toward the 10th and Bonerre. Then mocks them playfully, pretending it was their fault for picking a poor place to stand. After a moments consideration the 10th decides the 11th will likely lose and uses this as an excuse to launch a fireball-like attack at Frankenstien's blindside.

The attack is intercepted and cut in half by Seira however whose eyes glow menacingly (and awesomely) as she steps into the fray.

Chapter Review

The day Franky left Lukedonia was probably the happiest day of Gejutel's life.

Substance

Most of this chapter was just pretty straight forward combat with out a lot of room for much else but we did learn where Franky gained so much fighting experience, apparently he fought Clan Leader while he was in Lukedonia quite frequently.

I continue not to be particularly impressed by what these Union Elders have shown thus far in terms of power. One of the only remotely accurate measures we have, regarding how much power is being used, is how much the dark spear is spreading on Franky's body and right now it's only covering his forearm. Which I take to mean that Franky isn't even really breaking a sweat yet.

Something that does get me pretty excited about the next chapter however is the potential of seeing Seira fight. We've never seen her really get into it. All her fights have been extremely short (executions more than fights really) or mostly off panel (like her battle in Lukedonia). I can't wait to see how she will handle the 10th in a fight that will hopefully be a bit more drawn out.

Presentation

The artwork was not very consistent. Panels often lacked detail, especially early on in the chapter; and the panel with Sangeen and Yontsu looked straight up bad. But on the other side of the spectrum there were some great panels like the one where all the windows in a skyscraper shattered and on the last page where we got the coolest image of Seira in the entire series to date.

Spoiler: Shin Woo's future girlfriend has the best scary face ever! show

Pacing was a little slower than typical Noblesse fight pacing; as the situation at the end of the chapter between Franky and the 11th Elder ended up much the same as it was at the beginning. I attribute this mostly to a great deal more "sideline commentary" than usual, which I found to be very enjoyable but it did slow things down a bit more than I normally like to see in a fight.

Overall Rating

A very enjoyable chapter with lots of action interspersed with some amusing and informative dialogue from those watching. Unfortunately the experience was held back by some rough artwork and slightly slow plot progression.

I give it a 3 out of 5

Predictions Section

New Prediction

Sorry, still got nothing interesting...

Old Predictions: (18 Wins/ 22 Losses)

"The Union will back down" - Loss

I'm cutting my loses on this one. This fight keeps getting bigger and I no longer think the dust is going to settle until a few elders get beat downs.

Spoiler: Ongoing show
    Last edited by Jammin; November 13, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 258 Review

Your comment under the first picture here hit the head really hard. That's unmistakingly interesting question
    About the second ... Gejutel's worst nightmare just left the Lukedonia, just to be replaced by another one: Regis, clearly adoring the source of his grandfathers nightmares!

Seira will took the 10th elder head on. As I already wrote in different thread, it's too early to let intelligent bad guys pop out of nowhere, but 10th behavior promised something interesting in future, since he's the first, who actually at least once though, he's not the strongest guy on the Earth and a fight with Franky probably wouldn't be just a warm up.

But he still underestimating Seira, so he's clearly confident enough to think, she will be a piece of cake (even she's a clan leader, but the younger the weaker). Given the nature of Seira's soul weapon, fight probably won't last long either, since Grim reaper normally doesn't slack too much on duty. Besides she's not that sadistic as the rest of the characters there In opposite, she didn't star until now, so it's most probably the right time for her big debut. I expect something flashy, big, fast and accurate as hell.

Maybe Bonerre will make some kind of comment, that will enrage Regis, causing him jumping directly on Bonerre in order to beat him on the spot.
    And in that situation, Rai will step in, separating fighters from their preys, since he still didn't hear the answer for his question, that troubles him: Where are Tao and Takeo?

Good guys are on the pinch there, time is running up and everything playing into the Crombell cards (as Charlie stated in Discussion thread). I guess it's some time for good reinforcements to arrive, in order to scrap Crombell's plans for now, since it's going too smoothly for him to be true. It will be probably Lukedonia or someone, we don't know yet. But not a werewolf (even Franky wasn't probably that active to made a friends between werewolves too).
    Last edited by Jitt; November 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Finally found the right words to express my thoughts in first column :)

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another review Jammin. Let see... for the fight with the 10th elder... I chose that Seria will fight him along with Regis possibly stepping in.
    Although - its something I do not want to see happening but the likely hood of it occurring is almost inevitable.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jitt View Post
    Your comment under the first picture here hit the head really hard. That's unmistakingly interesting question
    And under the second hit my belly really hard Do you think they hold a party to celebrate that fact? It would be hilarious, if they actually did!

Seira will took the 10th elder head on. As I already wrote in different thread, it's too early to let intelligent bad guys pop out of nowhere, but 10th behavior promised something interesting in future, since he's the first, who actually at least once though, he's not the strongest guy on the Earth and a fight with Franky probably wouldn't be just a warm up.

But he still underestimating Seira, so he's clearly confident enough to think, she will be a piece of cake (even she's a clan leader, but the younger the weaker). Given the nature of Seira's soul weapon, fight probably won't last long either, since Grim reaper normally doesn't slack too much on duty. Besides she's not that sadistic as the rest of the characters there In opposite, she didn't star until now, so it's most probably the right time for her big debut. I expect something flashy, big, fast and accurate as hell.

Maybe Bonerre will make some kind of comment, that will enrage Regis, causing him jumping directly on Bonerre in order to beat him on the spot.
    And in that situation, Rai will step in, separating fighters from their preys, since he still didn't hear the answer for his question, that troubles him: Where are Tao and Takeo?

Good guys are on the pinch there, time is running up and everything playing into the Crombell cards (as Charlie stated in Discussion thread). I guess it's some time for good reinforcements to arrive, in order to scrap Crombell's plans for now, since it's going too smoothly for him to be true. It will be probably Lukedonia or someone, we don't know yet. But not a werewolf (even Franky wasn't probably that active to made a friends between werewolves too).
    I'm thinking Crombell is set up to become kindof an evil(er) parallel to Franky. I suspect what Mark is going to get his hands on is whatever information Franky has about his "Dark Spear" and perhaps Crombell will go about creating his own.

If I'm right about that (and I'm often wrong) Crombell will probably get away with what he wants here. I suspect Tao and Takeo will get rescued, either by tracking Yuri or by interrogating Bonerre, but I'm thinking this is one those situations where Crombell needs some success to set himself up to be a more significant threat going forward; so it will be more satisfying when Franky crushes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Thanks for another review Jammin. Let see... for the fight with the 10th elder... I chose that Seria will fight him along with Regis possibly stepping in.
    Although - its something I do not want to see happening but the likely hood of it occurring is almost inevitable.
    It's never fun to watch a scenario where the bad guys are getting their way but there are a few upsides to it this time.
    • The potential that the red haired girl from Cerberus that Yuri took as a "sample" could be at location as Tao and Takeo (Yes, I'm still in denial that she's dead)
    • Crombell turning into an genuine antagonist for Franky, and gaining the power to actually oppose him.
    • More Union trouble, maybe even enough for more Nobles to show up in Korea. (Raskeria/Seira/Shin Woo love traingle FTW!!!!)
    • The less Union Elders there are the more likely we are to see a Traitorous Noble take the field.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 14, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Crombell in need to enhance himself even further to be the actuall threat to the Union/Franky ... it sounds reasonable. Although I think (as I remember how things go in other mangas/manhwas) the bad guy never got his hands on what he wanted. He was close enough, very close, but at the end, the good guy ruined his hopes at the last possible second (most often by killing him).

But to tell the truth, how is Franky's and Crombell's characters set up it really seems, nothing will be like usual in this serie, since sometimes you can't really distinguish who is the "good guy" and who is suppose to be the "bad guy". At a times like this, the differences are so merged and smudged together, it gives the vibe of "unusual" series, which hadn't been here yet.

Though cleaning the "bad guys" as on the manufacture line is becoming a little boring, despite really funny moments we saw so far during the fights.

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Seira will fight the 10th elder, its not going to be easy but at the very least she'll fight to a draw since Rai and Franken are there. The 11th will just get the Rael treatment if Seira gets into any trouble.

Regis will fight Bonerre only if he tries to interfere in any of the two fights or if he tries to escape. I'm not sure if he knows about Tao and Takeo's disappearance yet so it might be M-21 who initially confronts him. They'll probably do it together.

I'm really starting to think the 9th elder will show up since he's conducting his own investigation and that could be problematic for Crombell, and to a lesser degree Rais group.

This is the first arc where there may be negative consequences even though the outcome of the battles aren't in doubt. I believe that Mark will find something of use to Crombell but it should only be information pertaining to the Trio since he hasn't conducted experiments on himself in a long time. Maybe he'll combine that with what he learned from the Cerberus duo.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the elders will try to back down soon. If they're sane, that is - 11 is getting raped by Franky, while 10 and Bonerre seem to be going to have their hands full. They should realize they're dealing with a power far greater than their own. But humans aren't exactly always logical creatures
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

14. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    I think the elders will try to back down soon. If they're sane, that is - 11 is getting raped by Franky, while 10 and Bonerre seem to be going to have their hands full. They should realize they're dealing with a power far greater than their own. But humans aren't exactly always logical creatures
    I think a big factor there is going to be the level of arrogance.

They are so obviously outgunned so, just like you said, if they're sane they really should just yield and use Tao and Takeo as bargaining chips to buy their safety but even the 10th hasn't really been willing to admit (through his mental dialogue) that he's in trouble. Which is something we've seen a lot of. These Union guys seem to have some prevailing notion that "The Nobles aren't as tough as they think they are." even when faced with a reality that doesn't match up with that.

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post

They are so obviously outgunned so, just like you said, if they're sane they really should just yield and use Tao and Takeo as bargaining chips to buy their safety but even the 10th hasn't really been willing to admit (through his mental dialogue) that he's in trouble. Which is something we've seen a lot of. These Union guys seem to have some prevailing notion that "The Nobles aren't as tough as they think they are." even when faced with a reality that doesn't match up with that.
    Maybe there's a considerable gap between the 10th and 11th elders which would explain his overconfidence and also the amount of respect the 11th gives him. Not that its going to help but that would explain it. Considering the fact that he thinks Rai is a clan leader, knows the Seira is a clan leader and is watching Frankenstein slap the 11th around he must think very highly of himself. Its Unfortunate that he doesn't know about Tao and Takeo or he might have used that to his advantage. Poor Bonerre, he has the info that can save his life but if he reveals it before the elders are finished off they might kill him for witholding it.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right in terms of powers Blackd - the 11th elder has been asking the 10th for permission to do this or that. I think the power structure is the lower the number then higher you are? If that's the case - why was Roctis a 4 or so?

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Aww 3 of 5 jamm? This is a chapter I would give 5 out 5 any time xD Idk it just had everything I was waiting from it and plus no M-24 on it, just perfect
    And about the artwork, in general its was not that great, but there was some fucking gorgeous panels, like seira's eyes in the end

22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are right in terms of powers Blackd - the 11th elder has been asking the 10th for permission to do this or that. I think the power structure is the lower the number then higher you are? If that's the case - why was Roctis a 4 or so?
    Its always been my belief that the top 6 are the traitors. There's no way they would follow the orders of a human so who else would be above Roctis but a older noble. I think the tope two or three might be older than even Gejutel.

24. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdynamite410 View Post
    Its always been my belief that the top 6 are the traitors. There's no way they would follow the orders of a human so who else would be above Roctis but a older noble. I think the tope two or three might be older than even Gejutel.

Well that is pretty interesting and you might be right about that.

Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    If you look into histoy, mankind (especially those, who really gained some power in whichever category) often became pretty arogant, thinking about "superiority" over the others ... Mangas/Manhwas especially higlighting this matter.
    Bad guys are always arrogant to the blindness (sometimes even the good guys ).

Maybe 10th was designated as "head" od this operation, responsible for outcome. 12th was send alone, so he doesn't need to confess his actions to (almost) anyone, though there was sentence that the other elders won't be happy he chose to fight.
    In that matter, 11th could be punished by others (if he'd survived) for screwing up the mission, since he didn't listen to 10th advices (say it's advices more than commands) as his "temporary" superior. It looked to me like 11th asked for permission through gritted teeth and it wasn't just because someone pissed him off. I sensed there a hint of humiliation towards his person (that he must even ask something this trivial).

27. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Another good point. Its pretty obvious who is the brains of this operation. I'm liking # 10 so far.

He also quickly deduced Frankenstiens Dark Spear powers not being a Soul Weapon.

29. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast