Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 608 Kakashi’s Resolve

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 608 Kakashi’s Resolve

"In this world, all ninja will ever amount to is trash. You and I are fine examples of that...Kakashi."
    Obito Uchiha

Cards on the table, this chapter's review is going to be briefer than usual because I'm focused on National Novel Writing Month and I'm a bit behind schedule. It's been two week's and much debate since the last chapter. Some readers, including myself, have come around to accepting and even enjoying parts of Obito's entrance. Others, have legitimate issues with the plot holes and inconsistencies Tobi's identity has created. I asked at the end of my last review how the flashback affected your position on Obito and more of you than not felt less satisfied.

Perhaps, Kishimoto can win you around by focusing on the present and delivering a stellar fight...

Naruto 608 Kakashi’s Resolve
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

The chapter starts with a bang as Obito commences an assault on Kakashi. Kakashi blocks the first attack and is sent to Kamui's dimension where he mopes some more. Meanwhile, Naruto is having trouble against Madara's wood release jutsu which can absorb the bijuu's chakra. Kakashi returns to question his hero, Obito, only to receive a massive beating when he mentions Rin's name. In fact, massive being an understatement for the relentless kunai attack he suffers through. Really, he shouldn't be able to stand afterwards, but this is Naruto, so we'll look past that for the moment.

Kakashi tries once more to appeal to Obito's sense of duty by pointing out that in death he became a hero of Konoha to whom younger generations could look up to. Obito counters that the shinobi system is fatally flawed, capable only of producing trash.

Madara and Obito simultaneous prepare to deliver the coup de grace on Naruto, Killer B, and Kakashi, but both attacks are stopped by Naruto who adamantly refused to be labelled trash. His assertion that he won't let any of his comrades die snaps Kakashi out of his funk. Kakshi realizes that the ideals the younger Obito taught him still have value even if the man himself has lost his way.

I'm happy to report that the art this week was up to Kishimoto's usual standards. The action was fluid and easy to follow, and at times utilized unusual angles for great effect (see below) or side by side panels to create an illusion of synchronicity. While the flashbacks themselves were superfluous, they didn't intrude much upon the art focused on the present. Then there's Obito, whose design continues to improve as Kishimoto figures out the best ways to utilize his scars. Menacing shots with shadows or panels focused on the enraged, scarred half of his face are definitely the way to go.

*Addendum: I want to take a moment to talk about how I write these reviews. Usually I read the chapter first for a pure reaction, collect my thoughts, and reread it for the recap and analysis. After I write up my review, I then go back a third time and choose images that I feel are important or representative of the different sections. I thought the art was great after my second read through, but going back a third time I was able to appreciate just how great it was. There’s an attention to detail and polish to Kishimoto’s drawing that’s easy to miss when you’re focused purely on how plot points will wrap up or take for granted because he’s such a consistent illustrator.

There’s a lot to love here. From the way Kishimoto directs your eyes across a page with the layout and focus to the Eight-Tails grooves to Naruto commanding each of the five other character’s attention in side by side reaction shots. If anything, the art was truly the strongest facet of this week’s chapter.

I don't have much insight to provide about the chapter, as it was pretty standard going. Kakashi was going to have to wrestle with his guilt at some point and that comes into play here. That said, I liked how Naruto's resolve was the trigger for Kakashi's comeback, which felt like classic Naruto where the lead would win over or embolster others through his sheer determination.

The action was solid and there were some good lines throughout, but I can't help but feel impatient to return to some of the other plot threads that have been neglected lately. The Kage are still unseen. We don't know Tsunade's fate yet. The motivation for Rin's death is still unclear. What happened to the rest of the shinobi forces? And just what's going on with Sasuke and Orochimaru?

Still, I won't fault Naruto 608 for being what it was, so I'm giving it a ...

4 out of 5

Predictions

Not much progress was made during the fight within Kakashi's Resolve, so I'll stick by my predictions from two weeks ago:
    • As for what's next, I'm gonna guess that Obito will tear through Kakashi since he no longer needs to preserve his identity or control the jinchuriki and he can no longer count on Kamui making him invincible. I think the battle will turn towards Madara and Obito winning, followed by a detour with Sasuke and Orochimaru to explain some last minute twist, and followed still by the return of the five (or four) kage as reinforcements.

One Line Reviews
    • One Piece 688 features a lot of child endangerment and unabashedly goes straight for the feels.
    • Soul Society licks its wounds in Bleach 515 after their thrashing by the Quincy. The chapter is somber and reflective and contains some exceptionally great art.
    • Tower of God is back after a two week break with a chapter, ToG S02 Ch38 that begins to set the stage for the next arc. It's mostly hype and wheel spinning, but it does feature a classic sci-fi trope with a robot trying to become human.
    • Sadly, Gantz 373 was inessential. The stranded fighters find a way back home and not much else happens.
    • In contrast, Billy Bat 89 was absolutely essential and is my choice for Pick of the Week. The full cast of heroes come together to chip away at Devivie's resolve and Urasawa is able to make scenes of Kevin focusing on his art into something cathartic and mesmerising.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 608 Kakashi’s Resolve

awesome review! you really made me like this chapter ! at first,I didn't like this chapter much,but I had to agree that the drawings were really well made. what i dislike was the useless chapter,already seen,hence it didn't add anything new to the story. but I can accept it,as it was made to make kakashi realize he has to fight obito.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member EMS's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

great review blackjack612 but now you're two chapters behind
    living in the darkness and now with a new light, i will raise to a new beginning...

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apathism's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with NaNoWriMo!!!

Kage-Baka No Jutsu!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, I missed this unfortunately but am here now. You seem to be spot on in your prediction as the rest can come true as well in upcoming chapters. I also agree with the grade this time around, 4 is a very suiting grade, it's not great but it is very good
    Thnx for the review
    Meh

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply