Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2) , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy smut/adult content in shoujo/josei series?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, I think it's a great addition!

4 30.77%
  • Yikes.

0 0%
  • I'm neutral, I guess.

5 38.46%
  • I have this specific opinion... (specify in post)

4 30.77%
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smut/Adult Content in Shoujo/Josei Series

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smut/Adult Content in Shoujo/Josei Series

well you r right about parental or govermental control issues regarding the export of the mangas that might deemed unfit for children until the internet(thou even before that; ppl when they want something they usually get it regardless of anything. i know i did.) and about the need for a in-depth research about the explict material issue; i cant give you definitive answers or publicaitons(well i found them but i neither have time nor the inclanation to pay for an article that will have little benefit since i am neither a manga historian nor a critic) and the only research i did was a quick wiki 1. also u r right about these sub-genres being longer in japan then we may realize considering 800 years of history of manga. i can only give you relative numbers based on mangaupdates which isnt exactly absolute. but my point came from the censorship japan had on publishing these subjects for younger audience till the late 1980s.(which with increasing numbers of enjou kosai and such another bill passed in 2010) after the relaxation of censorship more and more such subjects started to grow from shounen demo(as u have mentioned with dragonball) and jumping to other demos.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MegumiYuuki's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

The only Adult content I think woudl work is if it is warranted in a romance scene. Skip all fan service, leave it to the Shonen based stories. I am of the upper age end of the Josei community, and just the right amount to hint is all is needed.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

but maybe fan service in the shoujo/josei magazines are different. Like a shower scene, or something. I dunno how that would really work but in RL that works pretty fine as a fan service directed to the female viewers lol.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner moniker's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends if it the smut fits the story or not.

If it's out of place, not quite enjoyable and abrupt. a "Wait? What?" situation.
    If the flow of the story is good, I'd feel OK with smut.
    But yeah, it does add to the realism. Like necessarily but not going to far.

I'm mostly neutral about it in Josei but in Shoujo, I might be a little uncomfortable but still depends on what I mentioned above.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner hikochan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It just depends tbh. Most josei titles have smut in them, since I mean it's targeted for the older women out there. I avoid josei when I'm not in the mood for smut and vice versa for shoujo if I want some smut. Sometimes I like having the smut but all in all, it just really depends on how the smut fits in to the story. Most manga nowadays just slap some smut on there just because that's the trend. I mean, that's the reason I'm reading the manga in the first place, for the story. If I wanted some smut, I could just play some R-18+ visual novel or read some hentai/ecchi (some of which have really good stories imo).
    If you love Hyouka (or the Kotenbu light novel series), you should totally try stopping by HSK.
    If you just wanna stalk my translations blog, feel free to drop by here.
    If you wanna stalk me at Tumblr, well, tough luck kid.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2