Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast

Thread: GERMAN SCIENCE IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doku will always be my disciple

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    @niichan: I really like the concept, like I've mentioned before. The art style in the manga is really rough, to put it that way, and I find it great and fitting of the series. It's quite unique, and it's very effective for displaying the grim nature in the series, and the creepiness of the titans. A really enjoyable read. I sat up very late the first night when I started reading the manga after watching episode 5 after midnight. It's kind of sad how quickly you plow through the chapters however.

Regarding the plot twists. I'll just comment the recent one:
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

SCHWING LORD 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    I was actually coming to spam your place now and you tell me you don't have time?
    Exams?

BTW started watching Shingeki (3 episodes so far) and caught up with the manga. I just hate the fact that is monthly :/

PS. Runes are a big deal
    Well it's your fault for playing too much LoL Had my last exam on tuesday, now I just need to finish this freaking essay for tomorrow. That should be the last thing I need to work for. I've finished reading this damn book for the subject "German" even though it was mostly so-so and now I'm tired. After friday I'm going to relax these last two weeks of school, seriously.

I'm not a big fan of the monthly release but some stories are told better this way. I'm not sure if I would like to read Shingeki weekly because I don't know how well Isayama would be able to cope with it. Glad you started watching though

P.S: Indeed, they are.

@niichan: I really like the concept, like I've mentioned before. The art style in the manga is really rough, to put it that way, and I find it great and fitting of the series. It's quite unique, and it's very effective for displaying the grim nature in the series, and the creepiness of the titans. A really enjoyable read. I sat up very late the first night when I started reading the manga after watching episode 5 after midnight. It's kind of sad how quickly you plow through the chapters however.

Regarding the plot twists. I'll just comment the recent one:
    Spoiler show
    That's the issue with monthly series, though in the end what matters is the quality. I recently read Terra Formars and really enjoyed it, but it's really annoying when you reach the current chapter and you're all "Damn, I don't want to wait a month" Glad you enjoyed reading Shingeki, now you can sit back and wait for the epic moments in the anime Did you notice that they showed some things earlier than the manga? We had some little filler/changes here and there in the first 5 episodes too, nothing grave though.

I mostly agree with you regarding the spoiler but I'm a bit meh towards

Spoiler show

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have waited a month with reading the manga. I always catch up to manga in the middle of something big. Can't I ever catch up with a series when nothing really is happening and I am not hyper excited? Next chapter will be SO KEY.

Yeah I noticed e.g. ep 3 & 4 regarding the training was earlier. A nice touch IMO. Regarding the rest I wouldn't know, as I haven't read the first chapter (ep 1-5 chapters) yet. I could do that.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have waited a month with reading the manga. I always catch up to manga in the middle of something big. Can't I ever catch up with a series when nothing really is happening and I am not hyper excited? Next chapter will be SO KEY.

Yeah I noticed e.g. ep 3 & 4 regarding the training was earlier. A nice touch IMO. Regarding the rest I wouldn't know, as I haven't read the first chapter (ep 1-5 chapters) yet. I could do that.
    Haha but isn't that good too? It keeps the excitement high XD And with Shingeki there's rarely a moment where nothing really happens and you can relax anyway.

I thought it was a good change too, it works both ways. If you're curious you should read them, a good way to get rid of time until the next chapter :P Just as an example, you don't see the Armored Titan running towards the gate. In the manga, you only see him when he actually breaks the wall. A change for the better too, in my opinion. I felt like it was a really epic and breathtaking anime only scene.

And I suppose I should ask you... interested in playing a Mafia Game in a few days?

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I meant in general. Really, usually my excitement is pretty high to begin with whenever I catch up with a series. Being in the middle of something epic just makes it more painful (but at the same time obviously more amazing).

I will probably read the chapters sometime.

Also I've said "no" to several people approaching me about the Mafia Game. Just don't feel like it this time around. What's the theme?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

There is always something happening in Shinegki. Except for the flashbacks in volume four, every chapter has been eventful.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for being so late with this reply Claire, it always takes such a lot of time to answer you I don't mind but I had a lot to do this week (and other short posts started to pile up....) so that's why it took some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Es tut mir leid! I honestly didn't know so that's why there was no answer. I'm spoiled whenever I go to Japan so people end up *cough* paying for me *cough*.
    Kein Problem Well that's great, I wish I had relatives in Japan too Btw, where did you stay in Japan and what did you do there? Just hanging out with your family or did you indulge in some other fun stuff too?

If you can, you should definitely take this opportunity to convert some Euros to Yen since the latter is weak at the moment. (1 euro = 130 yen) Even though you may not go to Japan right away, at least you'll have a handful of Japanese money for later. I had to convert some yens to euros for this trip, and I was sad that it didn't amount to much.

I talked to my mom since she knows more than me, and she said that she recommends going to Japan in autumn (October/November) or spring (May). She also referred to this website for more info: http://www.gotokyo.org/index.html
    I wish I had the money for that... sadly I can't atm, I only start working in August. I just finished my last essay today so I can relax the last two weeks of school and enjoy the free time until work starts~ Hopefully I won't have to take an oral examination, they will only announce that at the start of June.

I guess I should take a closer look at the Yen when I start working and start to save some when it's weak. And thanks for asking your mum, I will keep the tips and the site in mind!

Here's what I know: the average manga tankobon for a weekly manga costs 320 yen while a weekly magazine is around 280 yen. (I'm sorry I can only do the calculations in yen.) DVDs are expensive since they're on average 3000 yen or so with very few extra features. CDs are expensive too. I wouldn't recommend getting them unless you really love the series or the artist. If you go to second hand bookstores like BOOK OFF, the price will be much cheaper. Perhaps you can make a list of what you want to buy in Japan, and I will try my best to see how much those would cost all together. Of course we'll have to add 10000 yen or so on top of that sum just in case you want to indulge a little more.
    I doubt I would buy a DVD or such, only if it's some really special version or has english subs. Tbh I don't know if japanese anime DVD's/Blu-rays all have english (or even german( subtitles though Even if, I doubt I would buy more than one or two, more would be just too expensive. I will probably buy a few magazines and tankobons, they're pretty cheap (tankobons usually cost 5 euro here in germany, so they're more expensive than in Japan). Not sure if I can make a list, I'm pretty sure there's so much in Japan I would be tempted to buy And it depends on what is available at that moment too. If my trip is planned and I know a fix date, I will definitely contact you again.

And what do you mean with indulge a little more?

If you don't want to cook and want cheap food, you can check out 7-11. Their bentos are under 500 yen while their rice balls are no more than 200 yen.

You should! FYI generally most shows for "grown ups" (i.e. not Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh) happen to be broadcast late in the night like 1AM. Perhaps that's the reason why the Western fandom knows more about anime than the average Japanese person. XD

Japanese variety shows are ridiculous and funny so I also recommend watching those even if they're not anime.
    Sounds good! And yes, I'm aware that such shows air late at night. Not sure if I would watch a lot though, because I would barely understand a thing XD

It would be interesting if there was a place in Germany that shared a name with a Canadian city.

BTW four of my classmates are part German: two have German mothers, and the other two have German fathers (or have German ancestry) judging from their last names.
    Sadly I couldn't find any city yet, it seems german city names are a lot more common in canada than canadian city names in germany =/

I read that Canada had/has a lot of german emigrants so you probably have a lot of canadians with german ancestry over there. Just out of curiosity, what are their surnames?

I went to a lecture, and the professor was talking about von Kleist. I didn't catch what he was saying, but I got the idea of what the lecture was about.
    I know von Kleist, though his works are rather old (18th Century) and I've never read them. I feel like professors and teachers often tend to talk about or recommend old works. It's nothing bad but it often lacks the look on more recent works. I barely read a (good) book made in the 20th or 21th century in school.

If you want some really famous old works, you should check out "Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" or "Faust", both were made by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. I'm not a big fan of both but you can't deny their quality, especially considering the time.

Japanese students learn American English, and it makes sense for Europeans to study British English since it's closer. Sometimes I, as a native speaker, don't understand what the Game of Thrones characters are saying either so it's definitely okay if you don't understand. LOL For example the wildlings have a Scottish accent, and IMO that's one accent where I have to listen really carefully in order to get what the speaker is saying. Some American English accents such as those from the South can be really hard to understand too.
    Well that's a relief. Sometimes it felt really weird that I wasn't able to understand a lot of the sentences, despite me having relatively good english skills. I'm totally not used to speaking english though, there's rarely a chance when I can practice my skills.

Now that you think about it, I'd pronounce thought and ought the same way too. I think it all depends on the English accent though. Now that we're talking about accents, I wonder if you'd be able to understand me if we meet. :3

I know that the German language has many different dialects, but do you speak differently from other German speakers such as those from Berlin or München? How different is Austrian and Swiss German from German German?
    Good to know And I'm sure you wouldn't be that hard to understand :3

Yep, I definitely speak differently. Hochdeutsch is the common form in germany, without any dialect. A lot of people speak either Hochdeutsch or some kind of dialect. The dialect is bound to cities or whole regions but here in Frankfurt most speak Hochdeutsch. At times pretty much everyone uses some kind of dialect though, f.ex. when I speak to certain friends I tend to speak "Hessisch" sometimes Austrian and Swiss german varies a lot too, it depends on the region. Some only use a slight dialect, while you can't even understand others despite speaking the same language. It's hard to summarize because there are a lot of different forms.

That's true. My Japanese is nowhere near the level of a native speaker either.

Hopefully by the end of this trip, I'll be able to improve my pronunciation and catch individual words at least. I have TV in my apartment so I turn it on to practice my listening.
    I will test you when I visit your place btw, how's Berlin?

I remember too! I can't believe it's been a while ago now. Since I was kind of new myself, I felt flattered that you decided to drop by.

I think you've become more outgoing ever since you became a mod. It's a good thing, and now I'm wondering what you're like in real life since we might actually meet face to face! Are you the social type or are you more introverted and shy?
    A while is good, it feels like ages ago XD I'm surprised you felt flattered though, I always had the impression you were pretty established on MH. It was really fun talking to you, I think you were the first person on MH I had a long conversation with and that's why you're special to me. You and desy made me enjoy MH (especially the Otaku Section :3) and you're both the reason why I'm still here. Without you, I might have stayed a lurker for all eternity and would have stopped visiting MH at some point. Thanks to you two I'm standing here and that's why I'm really grateful

And I guess I became more outgoing because I got to know a lot of great people over the years + as a mod I always felt/feel the responsibility of having to take good care of my sections. It's a fun responsibility though, don't misunderstand me. Even after all these years I really enjoy being here :3
    If I had to describe myself.... I guess I'm neither the social type nor introverted and shy but a mix of both. It really depends. When I feel comfortable I can be quite outgoing (like here on MH) but when I meet new people I'm usually rather silent. Not afraid or anything but I always need some time to open up to people, I'm not someone who can be friendly and outgoing with everyone right from the start. When I know people better I'm a lot more open but there are only a few people to whom I show my real self. With that I don't mean I'm pretending to be someone else with others but rather that I only show 60% or 70% of my true self. That's either because the opportunity for more doesn't come up or because I just don't wanna show everything because of various reasons (like lacking trust or something similar). So to sum things up, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle of extroverted and introverted. I guess the best example is when I hang out with a certain friend, who's really outgoing, and we meet up with some other guys. He usually takes the lead and speaks the whole time, which leads to me saying less. When he's not around though, I'm just as open as the most of the other guys though. I'm not someone who's eager to lead a group of friends but I do when I notice others don't. I guess that describes me best XD though it's so hard to describe oneself, so I guess you should just make your own choice when we meet

So how about you? Introverted or Extroverted?

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I meant in general. Really, usually my excitement is pretty high to begin with whenever I catch up with a series. Being in the middle of something epic just makes it more painful (but at the same time obviously more amazing).

I will probably read the chapters sometime.

Also I've said "no" to several people approaching me about the Mafia Game. Just don't feel like it this time around. What's the theme?
    That's the same for me when I really enjoyed reading and catching up with a series XD It's so hard to wait after you could rush through all the epic developments etc. in a flash. Shingeki is one of the few manga where I'm totally fine with waiting a month though, it rarely disappoints.

Thought so, I'm not that eager myself but I was nice enough to volunteer as the host The theme is "Tower of God", a manhwa. Great series but I'm sure you haven't read it yet. IIRC you are rather meh towards the so called webtoons but you're definitely missing something good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    There is always something happening in Shinegki. Except for the flashbacks in volume four, every chapter has been eventful.
    You know Kait, I just told him the same three posts ago

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not meh towards it. I am just not a big reader/watcher anymore in general. It usually is something special when I finally get into reading/watching manga/anime these days.

I've read Noblesse like a year ago, but after catching up I haven't checked it out since.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Thought so, I'm not that eager myself but I was nice enough to volunteer as the host The theme is "Tower of God", a manhwa.
    I see

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not meh towards it. I am just not a big reader/watcher anymore in general. It usually is something special when I finally get into reading/watching manga/anime these days.

I've read Noblesse like a year ago, but after catching up I haven't checked it out since.
    I'm aware, I thought you mentioned not being a big fan of webtoons once though.

Tower of God is so different and way, way better than Noblesse. I mean the bishie vampires story is entertaining and all but ToG has such a superb story. Obviously it has it flaws (which series don't, though) so I daresay you should check it out to see what a webtoon is capable of. There's a reason why it has long surpassed Noblesse in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I see
    I was joking, though I'm probably less motivated compared to the last two games.

---------- Post added May 21, 2013 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was May 18, 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

I got my well-deserved A in english today

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm a free man

Congrats for the A!

What's next? World domination?

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I'm aware, I thought you mentioned not being a big fan of webtoons once though.

Tower of God is so different and way, way better than Noblesse. I mean the bishie vampires story is entertaining and all but ToG has such a superb story. Obviously it has it flaws (which series don't, though) so I daresay you should check it out to see what a webtoon is capable of. There's a reason why it has long surpassed Noblesse in popularity.

---------- Post added May 21, 2013 at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was May 18, 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

I got my well-deserved A in english today
    I said in the past that I wasn't a big fan of the art in Noblesse. I had skimmed the first chapter long before I read the series, and found the art pretty awful. But I got used to the colored artwork after a while, and the art obviously got a lot better. But I still prefer b&w cartoons.

Yeah I don't doubt ToG is better. Noblesse's plot is after all rather bad. Rescue mission after rescue mission. Same formula, noobs fight first then Rai comes in the last second to save the day and utterly humiliate the bad guys. The concept is pretty interesting however, with the lore and all.

Grats on your A too.

Artists of MH 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FaustXIII's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm a free man

Thread Closed
Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 ... LastLast