Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 500 (2) , Bleach 586 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Who is stronger?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luffy

14 63.64%
  • Ace

8 36.36%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Luffy vs Ace - who is stronger?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member lawlord's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy vs Ace - who is stronger?

Current Luffy from Manga vs Ace, who would win or is stronger? Ace 550m Luffy 400m.

Personally I think Luffy would win without much trouble. Ace was getting manhandled by Teaches hand to hand and I think Luffy's is far stronger than BB's h2h was at the time. I think Luffy would be fast enough to dodge everything Ace used on BB. I have other reasons I'll mention later. Please leave your thoughts.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy vs Ace - who is stronger?

mihawk would slice them both in 2v1

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think ace was never thaaaat strong to begin with, at least not as strong as his bounty suggests. His high bounty clearly served the purpose of showing how strong logias are, early in the manga (edit: and maybe because the gouvernment knew his relation to roger). But then again, we all know that bountys arent always a measurement of power levels.
    Afaik, we havent been shown a single sign of haki from ace, he wasnt even able to defeat smoker who ( i suppose ) was a lot weaker back then, compared to now.
    Additionally, aces strenght does not seem to be endurance, since he was in a pretty bad shape from direct BB hits, while luffy is at least equal to ace in terms of speed, with a much higher endurance/staminia. I´d say, one elephant gun and ace would be done for.

edit: Iam not saying that BBs h2h skills are bad...certainly not. And luffys real bounty cant be judged since his 400mio are 2 years old. He´s either much stronger and more worth than 400mio... or he is now powerful enough to deserve 400 mio, since his bounty was just pushed because of his actions, not his actual strenght. And since its the main protagonist we´re talking about, we will never know how strong he really is, until the end, when he´ll be the strongest.
    Last edited by Pigov; September 09, 2013 at 08:26 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    mihawk would slice them both in 2v1
    Not saying this might not happen but consider that Luffy was dodging Mihawk at the War. Now his speed has increased dramatically to the point where he can dodge Kuma lasers and call them slow. He has speed blitzed almost every enemy he has faced post time-skip. I think Luffy could easily avoid Mihawk but when he engages he will lose. I think Ace and Luffy vs Mihawk have a shot. 30-40% chance fighting together I'd say.

I think Zoro probably got to the point in his training where he could make Mihawk go 80% at least. Zoro probably still has a while to go but I don't think he is miles off Mihawk. Maybe he is though. Just my thoughts.

I saw a lot of people who would state Ace was stronger than Luffy without really providing reasons in some chapter discussion threads as well.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

My opinion about this is that in the OP world, Luffy's DF is really THE strongest.
    -First, you have to be STRONG to use well this DF, because of the stretching. Without strenght, Luffy could never use his skills like Elephant Gun or Red Hawk.
    -Secondly, thanks to the Gear 2, it gives you an unbelievable speed. I'd say that now, maybe only Borsalino & Ener could be faster than this.
    -Third, it's ONE OF THE DF that fits the most with the power of HAKI.
    All of the DF users can use Haki if they are able to. But the Gomu Gomu power oblige you to hit with your body (not like the Mera Mera for example). The hardening provided by Haki sure is usefull with a DF that oblige you to punch to win.
    Also, it's possible that Defensive & Offensive Haki are the same, that would be why Luffy's fist goes on fire when he stretches it back fast enough : Haki allows Luffy's arm to burn without bunring his skin and creates heat then explosion.

Back to Ace vs Luffy now.
    In term of physical strenght, Ace is maybe stronger than Luffy. They trained together for years and Ace is two years older.
    But it seems that the DF he had didn't make him use this physical strenght.
    So now, Luffy use Haki well and can hit the Logias.
    With his speed and his power, I'm sure Ace wouldn't hit him at all and might be destroyed soon by the Elephant Gun :O

And I'd say that now Luffy and Mihwak would get a tie. Just, Luffy would have to be the fastest as he can.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy and mihawk a tie? that would mean luffy would destroy shanks in his current state according to you.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sproumfch View Post
    My opinion about this is that in the OP world, Luffy's DF is really THE strongest.
    -First, you have to be STRONG to use well this DF, because of the stretching. Without strenght, Luffy could never use his skills like Elephant Gun or Red Hawk.
    -Secondly, thanks to the Gear 2, it gives you an unbelievable speed. I'd say that now, maybe only Borsalino & Ener could be faster than this.
    -Third, it's ONE OF THE DF that fits the most with the power of HAKI.
    All of the DF users can use Haki if they are able to. But the Gomu Gomu power oblige you to hit with your body (not like the Mera Mera for example). The hardening provided by Haki sure is usefull with a DF that oblige you to punch to win.
    Also, it's possible that Defensive & Offensive Haki are the same, that would be why Luffy's fist goes on fire when he stretches it back fast enough : Haki allows Luffy's arm to burn without bunring his skin and creates heat then explosion.

Back to Ace vs Luffy now.
    In term of physical strenght, Ace is maybe stronger than Luffy. They trained together for years and Ace is two years older.
    But it seems that the DF he had didn't make him use this physical strenght.
    So now, Luffy use Haki well and can hit the Logias.
    With his speed and his power, I'm sure Ace wouldn't hit him at all and might be destroyed soon by the Elephant Gun :O

And I'd say that now Luffy and Mihwak would get a tie. Just, Luffy would have to be the fastest as he can.
    I agree with everything but the last part. Mihawk is still above Luffy. When we see Luffy against the Yonkou then I may reconsider. I don't think Mihawk is at Yonkou level. I don't think Mihawk can beat a serious Shanks.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, a couple of you are starting to get a bit ridiculous with the strength measurements here.

First, let's get this Mihawk talk out of the way. Mihawk would most likely slaughter Luffy and Zoro. They would lose. If they were strong enough to tie with him or push him to use 80% of his ability, that would mean they are nearing Yonkou levels of strength which would be a bit ridiculous at this point in time. Luffy's speed is a pretty moot point for this fight, since Observation Haki exist and we've seen plenty of people keep up with Kizaru. I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet to say Mihawk could keep up with Luffy's speed. For Zoro, it would depend on how Mihawk trained him, but I would like to assume that Mihawk didn't show Zoro his all and wanted Zoro to do his own thing so their fight would be much more interesting. Long short, Luffy and Zoro should still be quite a ways off from facing someone like Mihawk. As they are now, they probably wouldn't die, but I can't honestly say I think they'd push him to use a good portion of his ability. Mihawk is one of a few Shichibukai who could go toe to toe with a Yonkou.

Now onto Luffy vs. Ace. As it stands now, Luffy is most likely around Ace's level, but might still be a bit weaker. The biggest and only thing against Ace in this fight is his lack of Haki demonstration. It's probable that he can use Busoshoku Haki, considering the other top Commanders in WB's crew could, but we still can't say he did as he didn't show it. If Ace demonstrated Haki use, it would be a fairer match. The two are most likely equal when it comes to physical abilities. Even endurance wise. BB is quite the monster and his strength is well known, I don't think we should knock Ace for feeling the blows of a strong man like that. Especially since Ace got back up and continued fighting. Ace is a much more experienced pirate than Luffy as well. He was a New World Pirate that was one of the top commanders on a Yonkou's crew.

Ace is a pretty strong pirate. He managed to make it to the New World rather quickly, was asked to become a Shichibukai rather early(similar to Boa and Crocodile), fought Jinbe to a stand still for five days, and managed to fight and survive against WB, prompting the latter to recognize his strength and ask him to join his crew. I'm pretty sure Ace's bounty is a fair measure of his strength and ability.
    Last edited by eefrit; September 09, 2013 at 10:35 AM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pigov View Post
    Afaik, we havent been shown a single sign of haki from ace, he wasnt even able to defeat smoker who ( i suppose ) was a lot weaker back then, compared to now.
    They never really fought. Ace just held him off a little so his bro can escape. Anything else is just imagining things.

Problem is, Oda has never really shown Ace fighting properly against a strong opponent. Yeah, we heard he fought Jinbei for 5 days (if I remember correctly) and his fight with BB was just poorly made, in my opinion. Fucking Worf effect. Made it look like he was really weak, instead of showing BB's brutal strength.
    Still, all of his fights were mostly off panel.

How should I say it. I think Luffy is stronger now, but I think Ace could beat him if he used his power properly. I mean without the plot-induced stupidity. There are plenty of ways in which fire can be used. And one of them is not very much unlike CC's ability to remove oxygen. Lot of unused potential with Ace's abilities. But then again, he wasn't the main character.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawlord View Post
    I agree with everything but the last part. Mihawk is still above Luffy. When we see Luffy against the Yonkou then I may reconsider. I don't think Mihawk is at Yonkou level. I don't think Mihawk can beat a serious Shanks.
    shanks & mihawk = old rivals
    Current = Mihawk stated by oda most powerfull swordsman in the world.
    Shanks isnt stated to be the strongest swordsman in the world.

Shanks = younko pirate with a big crew
    Mihawk = forever alone

About ace vs Luffy.

Luffy would win handsdown after time-skip, since ace is a corpse, like brook
    Last edited by DutchPhoenix; September 09, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Problem is, Oda has never really shown Ace fighting properly against a strong opponent. Yeah, we heard he fought Jinbei for 5 days (if I remember correctly) and his fight with BB was just poorly made, in my opinion. Fucking Worf effect. Made it look like he was really weak, instead of showing BB's brutal strength.
    Still, all of his fights were mostly off panel.

How should I say it. I think Luffy is stronger now, but I think Ace could beat him if he used his power properly. I mean without the plot-induced stupidity. There are plenty of ways in which fire can be used. And one of them is not very much unlike CC's ability to remove oxygen. Lot of unused potential with Ace's abilities. But then again, he wasn't the main character.
    what's worf? anyways i agree that the fight between ace and bb was poorly shown.bb is strong(he scarred shanks without a df) so strength wise the fight would have been interesting but ace would have lost.again,bb was trying his new df and ace had no clue what to do with it.(he was losing both fronts(df wise and strength wise.)atleast that's how i would see it.
    now,to the point of luffy and ace.i agree that ace would win.now that luffy is stronger,maybe he would give ace a good fight and maybe luffy's strength would be little greater than ace's pretimeskip strength,ace would still come top in a fight against luffy.(he obviously is more smarter.
    Last edited by takneeque; September 09, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
    the artist reveals and i revel.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member KingOfNight's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Ace. Easy.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by takneeque View Post
    what's worf?
    From Star Trek: The Next Generation. And Deep Space Nice.

This article explains what I meant. Enjoy
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../TheWorfEffect
    (Even has some OP examples.)
    Last edited by Razh; September 09, 2013 at 01:09 PM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

I will go for Luffy.

Comparing their bounties will gain me nothing, but comparing feats.

What do we know of Ace's power? He showed less of an endurance than Luffy has done so far, and he will get better (yeah, Ace is dead and can't improve..). But as it is now, Luffy's stamina is about what Ace's was. Then again, same problem. Ace was said to have all kinds of Haki, right? But was he ever shown using any? Only Haoshoku and that was not out of his will, he did not control it freely. Luffy outmatches Ace in speed, bravely. Try to set him on fire then. Also, he would dodge the fire with his Busoshoku, I assume. Not to mention that his Busoshoku would cause Ace some serious troubles. Luffy's Haki won't cover all, he will get burnt, but he will win this fight with a margin.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why some people keep claiming that Mihawk is as powerful as a Yonkou. If Mihawk was relatively equal to Shanks almost 20 years ago when they were both rising to power, then that just means Shanks at that time wasn't powerful enough to be called a Yonkou. Back in those days, Whitebeard's equal was Roger not Roger's cabin boy. Assuming that they're equal in power now would've meant the Marineford war should've been one sided seeing how the Marines had its 3 admirals and Mihawk as well as other Shichibukai and Vice Admirals on their side against Whitebeard and his fleet.

Anyways, back on topic.... I think Luffy would win against Ace with some minor effort considering his mastery of haki. The only way Ace could beats Luffy is by experience and using Luffy's sheer stupidity against him. At least, based on what was shown of Ace, up to the Marineford War and what Luffy has shown since the time skip, that's the feeling I get.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast