Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Microsoft and Windows

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Microsoft and Windows

This is the thread where you can discuss everything about Microsoft Corporation including its hardware and software products, and web services. Please keep the discussion civil and refrain from comments that are of questionable or confrontational nature.
    Last edited by Miyagi; November 20, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microsoft and Windows

Just curious, how is it going for you who use Windows 8? Everything looks great from the promotional video. Once I saw a junior using Windows 8 on his laptop and I think it's cool. But I don't change OS often like that, and it's expensive so there's no way my parents will buy it from me. I don't really have an interest in changing my OS as well, to be honest. Just curious. XD

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using windows 8 - been using it for a few months now. It looks like nice aesthetically.
    At first, I found it difficult or unpleasant to get used to the new scheme they run, but now its not so bad.

Although I mainly use the desktop feature and run everything from there. Which is mainly what I need anyway and therefor I treat it like the older OS.
    I havent used the other 'boxes' / 'apps' for anything.

I don't really need em. I did find that the OS or windows found all the drivers for my computer automatically for me. Which saved some hassle.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Windows 8's important feature is how it lets user easily multitask; jumping from one work to another or something like that. I just can't really imagine in what way it helps user to multitask since I think with previous OS we can already do that. :P

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Windows 8's important feature is how it lets user easily multitask; jumping from one work to another or something like that. I just can't really imagine in what way it helps user to multitask since I think with previous OS we can already do that. :P
    This was the intention - but like you, i prefer the old version.
    Which is why i manly stick to the desktop app or section tile.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot has been mentioned regarding the lack of a "start" button on W8, but I think I remember reading somewhere that there's a way to enable that? =_=

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I know a lot has been mentioned regarding the lack of a "start" button on W8, but I think I remember reading somewhere that there's a way to enable that? =_=

Yes there is - one of my brothers did that but I forgot the method for it.
    But honestly - I haven't missed that feature after getting used to the flow of things here.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

There're a couple of apps that do the job, Start Button 8 is one of them. I haven't tried it though, so I don't know if it works as advertised.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

There are thrd party developers who created interfaces to match the older Windows versions...a quick web search will do the job...

I've read that Microsoft will try to slowly incorporate Skype into Windows as default chat service...so what that means is that it will be an integral part of windows and you won't be able to uninstall it...it's the same with internet explorer which is the default web browsing service of windows

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Does that mean we have to root Windows to take out Skype?

I hope they don't make other programs rely on Skype to work. If I recall, you can't in any way get rid of Internet Explorer because folders use it to open up or you need it to view stuff in your folders.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Skype would be an optional component like Windows Live Messenger which can be uninstalled. Internet Explorer core engine is necessary for other system components to render HTML, Skype doesn't have essential features in that respect but perhaps Microsoft is planning to broaden its scope.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they will. They might integrate it with being able to use wireless? I dunno, but they'll certainly try to make SKype used more often and relevant.

Which will probably end up in competition, like OpenOffice vs. Microsoft Office, and result in Skype being used less. Rather, either way, Skype will likely get more competition even if it stays free.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they will charge for skype. If anything it would make more sense that they stop charging for a few things if they integrate it to a deeper level with windows 8 or rt. It would be a nice marketing stunt if they give windows 8 users a few features for which skype currently charges (such as video conference with multiple people) and leave it as is for the rest. Integrating it with wireless would be plain offensive though. As much as I use skype a decent bit, there are times where I simply do not want to be on.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot where I read it, but Windows will deactivate Windows Live Messenger in March and use Skype instead as its default chat service. I guess it makes sense since people use Skype a lot more nowadays (I even used it for online meetings). I'm not sure with the integration with wireless thing, though. But it is a useful application with the video call option. XD

New Reply