Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Apple and Mac

Grand Secretariat 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Apple and Mac

This is the thread where you can discuss everything about Apple Inc. including its hardware and software products, and web services. Please keep the discussion civil and refrain from comments that are of questionable or confrontational nature.
    Last edited by Miyagi; November 20, 2012 at 06:03 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Apple and Mac

Right now I'm using a Macbook that I got in the summer of 2009. It hasn't been updated since then so it's still at version 10.5.8 when the most recent version is 10.8. You know that the system is super old when I no longer receive any software updates.

I've always been meaning to update it, but I hate how I would have to go from 10.6 to 10.7 before finally upgrading to 10.8. Why can't I skip all those steps and just pay extra?

---------- Post added February 04, 2013 at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was January 13, 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

Ignore what I wrote initially. If you haver a version older than 10.6, you can simply buy Snow Leopard, make sure it's 10.6.8 (if not, just do a Software Update) and then upgrade to the 10.8 using the App store icon. In Canadian dollars, the whole process costs around $45 so it's a good deal.

For a while now, I was having trouble with the disc slot: I'd put a DVD or a CD in, it'd whirl for a bit, and then it would spit out the disc without running/reading anything. I tried all these weird things like resetting something (forgot the acronyms), which freaked me out because I thought my Macbook would break. Thankfully everything was okay when I used Disk Utility and clicked on "Repair Disk Permission".

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, so far it seems there is something to all the iwatch rumors going around the internet. What does everyone think about that one? What sort of function should it incorporate? How should it be priced?

Anyways, I have a hard time figuring out just what this product might be about. Overall the concept of a smart watch is in itself very futuristic however I get the impression a smart watch might just be some sort of ipod nano that goes around your wrist or it might be a poor replacement for an iphone. If it really is going to be a watch then there is a very real limitation in regards to how big it can actually be. Watches can get pretty big however if the screen is just a tad too big or too small it would end up alienating customers IMO. Perhaps I am just exaggerating on that one though....

Anyways, the most important thing will be functions. The most basic thing will be music and storage however being so small I have my doubts of just how much you could store in it. I guess you never need more than a few dozen songs at a time although there are people out there who keep quite a bit more. I am guessing they will be going for integration with other devises... How would they connect? I don't expect the iwatch to have readily available 3g services however it should at the bare minimum include bluetooth and perhaps wifi also. One way or the other it will be too small for it to be any good at browsing or typing at large. A maps feature would actually be cool although that would require constant internet connection. Bluetooth connected to a phone would be cool, you wouldn't have to take it out of your pocket to answer it although thinking about it talking to the watch is not necessarily more comfortable than talking to the phone.... What about watch batteries? A watch that actually needs to be charged is basically unheard off, people sometimes keep them on for years and they never worry about it. It would be a bit of a pain to have to charge my watch every day or so....

Anyways, to what extent would the iwatch would even be needed if someone already has a smartphone? A modern age smartphone is almost an actual tablet already and has readily available 3g or 4g.... So, is there an actual reason to have an iwatch if you already own a decent smartphone? Would the iwatch cannibalize the ipod mini or shuffle? Leather or metal strap? I personally hate anything that is not metal, makes me sweat too much.

Some of the rumors say it will have health and fitness related options. That IMO would be actually very cool. Of course there would be an issue if users don't want to own watches which tell them they are fat.... I work out fairly regularly and if the iwatch can actually monitor what I do it would be extremely convenient. Current fitness gadgets still seem somewhat not like what other modern stuff looks like and it is expensive, perhaps apple setting a few trends here wouldn't be so bad. Of course if there is too much emphasis on fitness it won't be a product that appeals to most. I would argue there is a very real risk of apple hurting the health and fitness cause if people start perceiving others who work out as apple zealots and hipsters (take that last sentence as half serious and half joke).

Another thing which is perhaps important, would you stop using a regular watch for an iwatch? Pricing should not be an issue in regards to the iwatch as watches are in themselves expensive already at large. Even at the lower end of watches you can easily end up spending a couple hundred dollars. Would people switch from thinking of rolex, piaget, swiss army (and associates) and a number of other moderately or absurdly priced watch brands to consider an iwatch? Apple has quite a collosal undertaking to go through if they want to change the overall perception of digital watches being for kids. I would personally show up not wearing a watch to a job interview than with a digital one at large... Obviously the iwatch will be far more than a simple digital watch however the first impression will be just that....

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly haven't been following the iWatch rumour mill all that much. I'm not really sold on the whole "smart watch" thing.

I just don't see in what ways is it practical? If they're branching out and have "oh I wonder how small we can make smartphones" in mind, surely form factor will be a restriction right from the word go (if CES was anything to go by, 2013 is the year of ridiculous 5.5"+ displays, we've been spoiled). If it's similar to the Pebble Watch, a supplement to a smartphone, then I can't help but think it feels gimmicky. Like you use it for a few weeks and it disappears after the cool factor loses its appeal.

Using the Pebble as an example, the idea of using it as a glorified "notification bar" sounds good, but the fact it's tethered to your phone via bluetooth means your phone will likely be always near you (and draining your phone's battery), which kinda questions if there's any need for it in the first place.

I don't know. I liken to it those wireless chargers (for the Lumia 920 and Nexus 4). Yes, it's wireless, but the charger still needs to be connected to the wall, so you might as well just use the microUSB??? Most of the folks I know who has the wireless chargers think they're awesome and absolutely love it, so there may be a market out there for smart watches.

Do we have anything to cling onto anyway? Last I heard was Apple had something to do with curve glass technology. And then saw some rumours that Samsung had a "Galaxy watch" in the pipeline. And that was it.

Quote Quote:
    Overall the concept of a smart watch is in itself very futuristic however I get the impression a smart watch might just be some sort of ipod nano that goes around your wrist
    That's possible. What with the 6th-gen nano basically having a iOS-ish UI, and how the sales are dawdling each and every year. Realistically there isn't much point in having a dedicated media player in this day and age. Having the nano/shuffle evolve to supplement the iPhone wouldn't sound too crazy.

Quote Quote:
    Another thing which is perhaps important, would you stop using a regular watch for an iwatch?
    I'm starting to use my watch less and less nowadays. A lot of people haven't worn watches ever since they got phones.
    -

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it seems apple has made yet another patent and this one for the almost mythical by now iwatch. Going through it I just have to call bullshit on it though. Its the same they always do, they patented a bunch of abstract concepts and no real technology... As far as I know apple is not even the only company developing a smartwatch meaning that not too long from now we will see yet another stream of plain stupid patent trials. How can apple claim to have invented any of the stuff in there?

Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sooo... iOS7 (and 5S and 5C)... Opinions?

I updated to iOS7 on my iPhone5 the other day, and I have mixed opinions about it...

It's aesthetically quite pleasing, but the colour palette of the icons really did not go well with my home screen background and lock screen (Sherlock's apartment's wallpaper, yellow spray-painted smiley face and all for the home screen, and the "I am _ _ _ _ locked" screen from the Scandal ep for my lock screen), so I changed them to one of the given backgrounds. The parallax effect was quite amusing and was pretty good eye candy at first, but I read that it drains the battery life quite a lot and so I turned it off.

I'm not too big of a fan of how you get the spotlight search when you swipe down from any of the app pages. I sometimes swipe diagonally from the top right to bottom left, so I occasionally get the spotlight search page when I don't want it. As for the control panel (?) that comes up when you swipe up, I find it quite handy, though it does pose quite a problem when playing Temple Run, hahahaha.

As for the background app refresh option, I hurriedly turned that off when I read that it drains battery life as well. Sure, it's useful if you want the latest updates or whatever, but it'll just really eat away your data allowance.

What else, what else...
    Previously, if you're listening to music while your screen is locked, you needed to press the home button twice to change songs, play/pause or change the volume (if you're not using the buttons on the earphones or the changing the volume with the side buttons). With iOS7, you can change songs, adjust volume, play/pause and change where in the song you want to listen to after just pressing the home button once. I honestly quite like this, but I'd prefer it if it could be accessed with two presses instead of just one. :/

So, uh, moving away from the partially negative, I really like how you can swipe to the left anywhere on your screen to unlock your phone instead of keeping within the bar in previous iOSs. Previously, I occasionally had to swipe to the left a couple of times because I went out of the bar, but now that problem is solved.

ANYWAY, onto the 5S and 5C.
    5S: After a super quick read through, the only differences I picked up would be the fingerprint ID sensor and better specs. Oh, and the new champagne colour. Considering I'm the non-tech type who doesn't really care about the better specs, I'm not a fan of the champagne colour and how I think the fingerprint sensor seems quite cool, but trivial in the end... I think I'll pass on this one. :/

5C: It's $100 cheaper than the 5S with a plan in the US, but here in Australia, the price difference with a plan is $7. :/ The solid colours look kind of tacky, and you'd be stuck with the colour of your choice until you get a different phone. Sure, you can buy cases to cover up the base colour, buuuuuttt... :/
    Final words about the 5C? Just get a case if you want colour.

Well, that's all from me. Don't get me wrong, despite all my somewhat negative views of all the new features and stuff, I'm definitely not an Apple hater, nor do I take any sides with other companies. I have an overwhelming number of Apple products compared to all the other electronics I have. Sooo yeah. Just voicing out my honest opinion. Not hating or anything.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I hear iOS7 copied from Android's design. And that it saps the battery faster, but there was a trick somewhere that it closing the background app thingie would help conserve battery.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been looking for information regarding apple battery life for macbooks and whatnot but so far I haven't really found information. Do macbooks and whatnot really get superior battery life when compared to the competition? Why do they? I have found some sites which mention things like apple hardware being usually a bit less powerful than the competition and better power management software but nothing that really explains what exactly is going on ...

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it mostly depends on the hardware used, for example SSDs consume less energy than HDDs. According to this table, MacBook Pro power usage is similar to that of other laptops, actually it can be said that other laptops are slightly better in this regard.

THE MH FOODIE 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Sai_the_Shaman's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Live stream blog for todays Apple iPad event.
    live.theverge.com/apple-ipad-5-liveblog/

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Rundown for what was announced
    -OS X Mavericks available today for free
    -New Haswell models for Macbook Pros with Retina
    -iPad Air replaces traditional iPad. Its pretty much a large iPad Mini in form factor
    -iPad Mini with Retina Display

You can check here for full storiesa nd breakdowns:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4...ro-macbook-pro

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply