Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

I think it's a lost cause. He's running a 740QM, a Clarksfield processor. Those chips are infamous for being hot. I agree it does look like an heat issue. Watching a YouTube video isn't very stressful at all, a near-idle temp of 69 degrees is a concern.

Could you take a screen grab of just the normal window and with the Task Manager opened. Interested to see what the fan speeds are too and if they're even helping. But I suspect after cleaning the innards, the temperatures won't lower by much. It's a Clarksfield. =/

i.e: Like so.

Last edited by Knifeshade; February 14, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
    -

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    I don't see any fan data but it seems your mainboard temperature is a bit high. I guess your laptop got dirty and the fans are not performing well because of the dust collected inside. You can tell Sony techs that you suspect there's an overheating problem, if they clean your laptop, it's fine, otherwise you'll need to clean it yourself (which is risky since you can break it or void warranty) or you can consider using a notebook cooler.
    I was thinking that could be the case. Planning on using compressed air to blow the dust out, and now I guess take the laptop apart and hope I don't break anything cleaning it? That is, if they don't do it fo rme.

I already have a cooler. Two, rather. I need more space in my backpack to carry the cooler around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    I think it's a lost cause. He's running a 740QM, a Clarksfield processor. Those chips are infamous for being hot. I agree it does look like an heat issue. Watching a YouTube video isn't very stressful at all, a near-idle temp of 69 degrees is a concern.

Could you take a screen grab of just the normal window and with the Task Manager opened. Interested to see what the fan speeds are too and if they're even helping. But I suspect after cleaning the innards, the temperatures won't lower by much. It's a Clarksfield. =/

i.e: Like so.

Can I replace the Clarksfield? D: the heat disturbs me so.

Spoiler show
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    I was thinking that could be the case. Planning on using compressed air to blow the dust out, and now I guess take the laptop apart and hope I don't break anything cleaning it? That is, if they don't do it fo rme.
    There are computer shops which repair notebooks, perhaps you can take yours to one of those and have it cleaned and, if necessary, have the fans changed.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Could try that if Sony refuses to do it for free. How much would it cost to have the fans changed? I'm guessing it's not cheap.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea, Sony Vaio notebook fan is $40 here but it's probably cheaper in US. Since your fans haven't stopped working, you can also have the case cleaned and see if it solves the overheating problem. It's hard to know if changing the fans is necessary without seeing their condition.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

According to amazon a fan is just a few dollars a piece.... Assuming I searched for the right item.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Look at the review for the laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Vaio-VPCF...+VPCF1390x+fan

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Can I replace the Clarksfield? D: the heat disturbs me so.
    Um no, they're soldered on for the most part....

What's the ambient temperature of your room?
    -

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea to be honest. Depends on the weather? Right now, it's borderline cool but quite comfortable.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh. Well, tough luck I guess, it's a lost cause. If the cooling is inadequate, there's nothing you can do about it, it's part of buying into the platform. With great performance comes great heat output, especially in such confined spaces like a notebook.

My final suggestion, in order of most helpful:

1. reapply thermal compound on CPU and GPU. (this will void warranty)
    2. blow out dust bunnies in all tiny crevices including heatsink grill.
    3. turn off Hyper-Threading in BIOS. (god knows why you need 8 threads...)

So yeah, if those steps don't work, it's a lost cause.

(or it's not a heat issue. Frankly, I'm not convinced it's not software-related. Make a mental note to observe what you were doing the next few times it mysteriously restarts)
    -

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by thermal compund?

And hyper-threading? Wha?

And I'm usually doing something on Firefox. At first it used to be that whenever I clicked on a link, it restarted because it looked like it couldn't handle more computation, if that makes sense.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    What do you mean by thermal compund?
    The magic in PC is like so:

CPU/GPU chip | Thermal compound/grease/paste | Heatpipes

CPU gives off heat when it goes super saiyan. The thermal compound is the substance that helps transfer the heat from the chip to the heatpipes. The heatpipes are literally like pipes that connect to a heatsink which is usually where the ventilation slots are, and there's a fan opposite it that blows the heat off the sinks/pipes and into the outside world. That's how notebook cooling systems work.

Over time, the thermal compound will dry out, and this obviously means the heat from the CPU isn't easily dissipated and we get overheating. Because of that we have to reapply after a few years.

Quote Quote:
    And hyper-threading? Wha?
    When you open up Task Manager, notice how there are 8 little windows showing the CPU usage. That means you have 8 threads. Think of them as lanes on a road. The more lanes opened, the more cars can go through, and so traffic flows quickly. Turn off Hyper-Threading, and you end up with 4 (Hyper-Threading essentially doubles the threads per core), so you close down 4 lanes, less cars can go through, traffic doesn't flow as quickly. Performance is reduced. But power should go down with it which results in less heat given off. Realistically it's not huge but it lowers temperature a little.

This is turned off in BIOS. BIOS is accessed when you press F2 or Delete when you power on and see the OEM splash screen.

Quote Quote:
    And I'm usually doing something on Firefox. At first it used to be that whenever I clicked on a link, it restarted because it looked like it couldn't handle more computation, if that makes sense.
    Download this: Intel Burn Test.

Don't have anything running in background. Run the Intel Burn Test on Standard, 20 passes. At the same time have HWMonitor opened side by side. Go make a cup of coffee. Report back the highest temperature after the entire run. Kthx.
    Last edited by Knifeshade; February 18, 2013 at 05:40 AM.
    -

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't read that....

"Report back the highest temperature after the entire run. Kthx."

By that I mean, on the main HWMonitor window, tell me what the number under the Max column shows, for your CPU measurements.

And did your notebook shutdown or restart during that test???
    -

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

For those using firefox, has anyone had problems with the computer suddenly freezing for a few seconds? Once a day or sometimes twice (always while I use firefox) my computer suddenly becomes unresponsive. Then the firefox browser appears to either disappear or minimize and I can see whatever other window I had opened behind it(desktop or some other program). Has anyone else had anything like this happening to them? At the moment I am using chrome to see if the same thing happens again and confirm that firefox is indeed the one causing this occasional problem. I hear firefox uses considerable amount of ram and it occurred to me a spike might be what causes my laptop to become unresponsive at times. Or could this be something else?

New Reply
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast