Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S5

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Samsung Galaxy S5

And it's that time of the year again. Another year, another Mobile World Congress event, another Galaxy S# flagship.

Livestream @ http://www.youtube.com/user/SamsungMobile/UNPACKED
    so you don't miss out on the epicness. All 40 mins standby + 15 mins actual revealings of it, if last year's livestream is any thing to go by.

Starts Monday, February 24 at 2pm ET/11am PT/8pm CET/somecrazytimeinthemiddleofthenightonTuesday HKT. ¬_¬
    Last edited by Knifeshade; February 22, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    -

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5

http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/?ttag=fbwp

Yeah, this looks pretty disappointing, honestly

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it does not have all the stuff people expected. I never really got the complains regarding the plastic feel and whatnot though. I have never thought being metal or plastic really adds or takes anything from the phone. Yet the internet seems to make a pretty big deal about it. As far as screens go I am not sure if there is actually a point to the expected resolution. Would that much resolution make sense? It would make sense to fix other stuff first, you can always improve contrast and maybe do something about how the screen looks like when in broad daylight (I understand the iphone looks better in that condition). It doesn't seem like there are any new features and the fingerprint scanner is not really that big a deal.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I was someone who never really cared about aesthetics, as long as it doesn't get in the way of daily operation. My brother just upgraded to an HTC One over an S4. Back when those two were the cream of the crop, it was implied that HTC One had more going for it visually.

I guess it'll be a good set, it's just disappoint due to the hype.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth it to upgrade my S4 into this? I was excited for new features but it looks pretty underwhelming.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I rarely see the need to actually upgrade from a model to the immediate next one. Even between the S3 and S4 I didn't actually see a need to upgrade. At least in theory I think the ideal way to go about this is to skip one....

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member nanaDmari's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    As far as screens go I am not sure if there is actually a point to the expected resolution. Would that much resolution make sense? It would make sense to fix other stuff first, you can always improve contrast and maybe do something about how the screen looks like when in broad daylight (I understand the iphone looks better in that condition).
    I was afraid they would go for a higher resolution as some rumors were saying. It would need extra-extra-extra high density images (I just adapted the images used in my company apps to full hd devices like the S4, since support only came with the more recent releases of android) and a lot of apps out there don't even have full hd resources :T

I was expecting more of the redesign of touch wiz interface, so that part was really disappointing to me... they basically flattened it a little and that's it...

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand the point of having their own frontend UI...just give us regular Android

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, seeing the phone it kinda seems like it is aimed for people who would not trade up from their S3 to the S4.... The heart senson is interesting, that should make for some interesting fitness uses with the phone or at least I would hope it does. Even then, I don't see any particular reason for someone having an S4 to trade up. I really thought they would go for a 64 bit processor with the phone. I also thought the phone would actually have 4 Gs of ram... Its unusual for samsung to not increase this. On the other hand the ram is perhaps not that big a deal yet and 2 is still a lot. Maybe not increasing the ram had something to do with them not using a 64 bit processor? I guess their next phone should have at least 3 or 4 gs of ram and the 64 bit processor...

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/?ttag=fbwp

Yeah, this looks pretty disappointing, honestly
    That has to be the crappiest article I've read all week. The entire thing reads like the writer had these huge expectations and she's whining because it wasn't what she expected.

I'm personally unimpressed with the S5 too, but I can more or less understand the reasoning underneath it. The smartphone market has kind of plateau now. We're getting to the point where it's similar to the PC market; where even low-end specs are good enough for the majority of the users. Just look at the budget Android market in China. And we're at the point where the market is so saturated, it's hard to really deviate from the norm. Because there's not much else you can tweak. The display? It'll be in the region of 5-inches with 1080p res. The SoC? It'll be a Qualcomm chip. The only thing left to differentiate yourself from the competition are software features and camera, really.

Couple with the fact Google hasn't really advanced Android since the move from ICS to Jelly Bean, and it's not hard to understand why we're not getting blown away with phone announcements.

Quote Quote:
    I don't understand the point of having their own frontend UI...just give us regular Android
    To distinguish yourself from your competition. If your home screen looks the same as everybody else, what the heck are you going to write on the box to get people to buy your product.

Quote Quote:
    I also thought the phone would actually have 4 Gs of ram... Its unusual for samsung to not increase this. On the other hand the ram is perhaps not that big a deal yet and 2 is still a lot. Maybe not increasing the ram had something to do with them not using a 64 bit processor?
    Samsung doesn't push the increase in RAM in their Galaxy S line, they do it with their Galaxy Note line. (Note 2 pushed it to 2 when S3 had 1GB, Note 3 pushed it to 3 when S4 had 2GB)

Though it is surprising to not see the S5 with 3GB RAM. But sort of understandable because it runs KitKat out of the box, and KitKat uses less resources now.

But I do agree it's for the people who are still holding on to the S3. For the S3 users on the fence, if the battery life is improved on the S5, it's a worthy upgrade. If the battery life is more or the less the same as the S4, it's best to grab an S4 on the cheap (when S5 comes out).
    -

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    To distinguish yourself from your competition. If your home screen looks the same as everybody else, what the heck are you going to write on the box to get people to buy your product.
    The hardware and performance of the phone, but as you said...plateau. It didn't prevent me from buying one, but I'd prefer it naked. And I see plenty of people who think the same.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's true. But the people who follow this stuff like us are informed consumers. We're the minority. The majority of the buyers out there are actually your average household mom.

Plus, I don't know about you, man, but if I saw "NEW UI SHOOTS OUT LASER BEAMS" on the box, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    -

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Yeah, that's true. But the people who follow this stuff like us are informed consumers. We're the minority. The majority of the buyers out there are actually your average household mom.

Plus, I don't know about you, man, but if I saw "NEW UI SHOOTS OUT LASER BEAMS" on the box, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    Well, an uninformed consumer probably wouldn't know the difference in the first place. They might know Android, but they aren't going to know anything about TouchWiz, etc.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

The S5 doesn't look like it's worth buying. iPhone 6 and HTC One 2 might be better, but S5... I dunno.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's important to note that my reaction to it is as someone who owns an S4. If I was upgrading from an S3 or something older, I'd definitely get it.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast