Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computer Problem

I'll try it and let you know. ^^

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Nope, didn't work

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computer Problem

Can you be a little more specific please.
    When does the black screen occur?
    As soon as you press the Power Button? After the OEM logo comes up? After the Windows logo does the spinning thing?

Also, do you have a Windows Installation CD/USB hanging around? Or even a spare PC lying around you could use (preferably a desktop)?
    -

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

Disconnect all USB devices if any. Can you start Windows in safe mode?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Can you be a little more specific please.
    When does the black screen occur?
    As soon as you press the Power Button? After the OEM logo comes up? After the Windows logo does the spinning thing?
    After the Windows logo does the spinning thing.

Quote Quote:
    Also, do you have a Windows Installation CD/USB hanging around? Or even a spare PC lying around you could use (preferably a desktop)?
    I believe so. I need to find it though.

Oh, I'm using my brother's laptop right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    Disconnect all USB devices if any. Can you start Windows in safe mode?
    I used to, but I can't since yesterday.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Never mind. It backed up now though I'm still kinda iffy about updating my computer :/
    Last edited by riki; January 30, 2013 at 07:40 AM.

I think with my heart and I move with my head | My Stories Archive - Short Story: "Life According to an Onion" UP!

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone knows if there is a way to set "automatic" laptop updates to not be automatic? Its not that I don't want to install updates but rather it is inconvenient that I don't get to choose when to install them. I usually take my laptop back and forth between my home and my workplace and it is a bit of a pain to be at either and have to take it to the other only to find that as I am in a hurry the damn updates have to install before it shuts down. I tried changing that using the power of google however I didn't run into a solution.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't you disable them at Control Panel -> System and Security -> Enable or disable auto updates?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that is what I tried earlier but it did not quite work. I wasn't sure I wanted that either, I want the updates to happen except that only when I want them to. Also, going through the control panel earlier suggested that if I disabled automatic updates I would have to actually look for them manually which is a bit of a hassle.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to disable it completely, there's an option which lets you choose whether to install the updates or not.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, thats what I had already changed before. Still the next time I was on a hurry to leave work it did not ask me whether I wanted to install updates and proceeded to install them when I turned off the computer. Here is an image of my current update settings.

I also have been unable to find more settings I could change.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, it may be about Group Policy. See this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328010

You can skip steps 4-6. Check if there's a group policy for Windows Update.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

My laptop keeps rebooting on me. Or at least, it used to. Now it does it once or twice a day.

It started in October, and persists 'til now. My screen tends to be weird, and it sometimes shows a part of the image of something, like Pat's avatar for example, on different part of the screen, like top right. And for some random reason, it randomly reboots without warning or anything. What's goign on? Even Sony tech support weren't able to help,and we have a phone date this Friday.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Format your hard drive, re-install OS.

(Not trolling.)
    -

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    My laptop keeps rebooting on me. Or at least, it used to. Now it does it once or twice a day.

It started in October, and persists 'til now. My screen tends to be weird, and it sometimes shows a part of the image of something, like Pat's avatar for example, on different part of the screen, like top right. And for some random reason, it randomly reboots without warning or anything. What's goign on? Even Sony tech support weren't able to help,and we have a phone date this Friday.
    Can you download HWMonitor, save monitoring data and post the contents of this text file here? (it's pretty long, so enclose it in spoiler tags) Watch a movie or youtube video in full screen for a few minutes before running the HWMonitor to stress your video card a bit. You can also try installing the latest drivers for your video card in case it's a driver issue. If it's not an overheating problem and installing drivers doesn't help, reinstalling the OS may be your best option.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Format your hard drive, re-install OS.

(Not trolling.)
    Not sure about formatting hard drive, but I reinstalled the OS, hence why it went from rebooting often to doing it once or twice now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    Can you download HWMonitor, save monitoring data and post the contents of this text file here? (it's pretty long, so enclose it in spoiler tags) Watch a movie or youtube video in full screen for a few minutes before running the HWMonitor to stress your video card a bit. You can also try installing the latest drivers for your video card in case it's a driver issue. If it's not an overheating problem and installing drivers doesn't help, reinstalling the OS may be your best option.
    I'll try that.

Already installed the latest drivers for video card and reinstalling OS was useless. Possibly overheating problem, as fan tends to get pretty hot and loud, though I honestly dunno if the two are related.

---------- Post added February 14, 2013 at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was February 12, 2013 at 08:26 AM ----------

One thing I've learned is to not go to Sony technicians for help. Twice I've done that and twice the situation got worse or hasn't improved any. :\

---------- Post added at 04:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 AM ----------

The data. Shouldn't be bad right now, haven't felt the fan get abnormally hot or annoying. It's been working fine since I started the Monitor.
    Spoiler show

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    The data. Shouldn't be bad right now, haven't felt the fan get abnormally hot or annoying. It's been working fine since I started the Monitor.
    I don't see any fan data but it seems your mainboard temperature is a bit high. I guess your laptop got dirty and the fans are not performing well because of the dust collected inside. You can tell Sony techs that you suspect there's an overheating problem, if they clean your laptop, it's fine, otherwise you'll need to clean it yourself (which is risky since you can break it or void warranty) or you can consider using a notebook cooler.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast