Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

AFAIK you need to root your phone to disable system services and if you don't know what you're doing, you may impair your phone's functionality. If it doesn't bother you much, I'd not touch it.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I already do that, I am extremely diligent in that regard. My issue here is that I found no way whatsoever to turn off that GPSD thingy and even the internet was not much help. I never keep anything on that I am not using and I always make a point out of disabling or uninstalling things the second they stop being useful. Unfortunately that GPSD thingy does not show among the running apps or background cached processes so I can't turn it off directly. Today the GPSD thing is consuming 9% of the battery but if the phone can work without that it would be better if it was 0... I don't know where I would shut down a daemon, any thoughts(I actually found something to reduce the OS battery drain but it involves rooting and changing daemon names so I am kinda iffy about going there)? Or maybe it is better to leave them alone?
    Don't touch anything. I've noticed that after a recent app and OS update, my S3's battery life has gone done. This just means that the programs are a whole lot more taxing to your hardware, so you hardware is using up more juice.

Kuronekooo~!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

That really depends... In some cases over a moderate amount of time, yes, programs do get more taxing on the battery and resources. In most cases though, its just your phone running stuff in the background that wasn't there before or a buggy program just using an asinine amount of resources (which is what just happened to me and I got back to where I was before). If I did manage to reduce the battery drain from the gpsd completely I'd have an extra 10% battery for the rest of the day which is actually quite significant though. I mean, assuming the gpsd is currently at the level is was before I had the problem then in comparisong when I had the problem it was consuming 30% of the battery, more than the damn screen (between the two they were consuming over 60% of the battery). Over time a phone is certain to have reduced battery life but this is a case of it happening overnight which heavily suggest the issue is far from being normal.

Edit: Oh, I just checked my phone and the gpsd battery consumption is down to 5% I guess rebooting it a couple of times and actually running out of batteries yesterday did help a bit (there have been no actual software updates as far as I can tell).

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Paper's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

You could bring it in to a store hand have both your phone and battery checked. My S3 is about 2 years old now, and I've never experienced the problems you're experiencing...although I have had problems with service.
    Last edited by Paper; December 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Kuronekooo~!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a problem with VLC. When I use it there is no sound only on my account( administrator), it works perfectly on the guest account, I even tried to create a new account and it works. I noticed there is sound on my account only when I use headphones, otherwise it doesn't work.

I tried other players and the speaker has no problem.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_24.gif

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    I have a problem with VLC. When I use it there is no sound only on my account( administrator), it works perfectly on the guest account, I even tried to create a new account and it works. I noticed there is sound on my account only when I use headphones, otherwise it doesn't work.

I tried other players and the speaker has no problem.
    Copy VLC config file from your new account to the admin account.

Quote Quote:
    Where does VLC store its config file?

Currently, a config file is created on a per user basis (there is no global configuration file). If you modify the available options in VLC and save the new configuration, then a configuration file will be created in your user directory. The precise location of this file depends on the Operating System you are running:

Linux / Unix: $(HOME)/.config/vlc/vlcrc (v0.9.0 and above), $(HOME)/.vlc/vlcrc (v0.8 and older)
    Mac OS X: HOME/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc HOME/Library/Preferences/VLC (v0.9 and older)
    Windows 95/98/ME: C:\Windows\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc
    Windows 2000/XP: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc
    Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\%username%\Application Data\vlc\vlcrc
    BeOS: config/settings/vlcrc

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    Copy VLC config file from your new account to the admin account.
    Still doesn't work... I'll try to reinstall it via the other account and see if it works.

EDIT: Apparently the problem comes from my account.
    Last edited by Demonspeed; January 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume you checked VLC sound level on volume mixer?

Spoiler show

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    I assume you checked VLC sound level on volume mixer?

Spoiler show
    Yes.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    EDIT: Apparently the problem comes from my account.
    Could you specify? Do you have issues only with VLC on that specific account or do you experience similar issues in other media players or playback applications (like skype etc)? Does your speaker register VLC audio but the speakers themselves are silent? (i.e. volume mixer shows playback but you can't hear it?)

I suppose the easy way out for you would be to completely remove VLC and all of its files and settings, and then reinstall as you've probably accidentally changed an account specific setting for it?

Check if audio is activated in the settings etc. (or well guess not too relevant if you copied config)

But still.
    Last edited by blai; January 10, 2014 at 02:05 PM.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blai View Post
    Could you specify? Do you have issues only with VLC on that specific account or do you experience similar issues in other media players or playback applications (like skype etc)?
    My speaker doesn't work only when I use VLC(on my account), I have no problem with Skype and others programs, downloaded MPC HC recently and it works, WMP works too even though I haven't updated it for years.

Does your speaker register VLC audio but the speakers themselves are silent? (i.e. volume mixer shows playback but you can't hear it?)
    Exactly. But I can hear the sound on VLC(on my account) only when I use headphones.

I suppose the easy way out for you would be to completely remove VLC and all of its files and settings, and then reinstall as you've probably accidentally changed an account specific setting for it?

Check if audio is activated in the settings etc. (or well guess not too relevant if you copied config)
    But still.
    This is the problem, I did everything and made comparisons countless times. Settings are the same and yet it is not working.

Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems this worked for someone.

Quote Quote:
    Deactivate the soundtrack inside VLC player and then activate it.
    ---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Another option worth trying.

Quote Quote:
    Check the box (in VLC Preferences . Audio) that says "Use S/PDIF when available"

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It works now. I tried every available options in Output. It worked with WaveOut audio output, then I chose Automatic again and everything got back to normal.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

My android tablet has a problem, it's not showing my current location and says I am in another city and basically it froze on that city for 5 days now, I can't log in to my wi fi connection here at home, my PC has connection but the tablet can't get it. OD I reset the tablet or try a different solution?

It still says the location from a different city I went to 5 days ago and seems to be frozen/stuck in time. o_O

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you restart the tablet? Remove the battery and put it back in?

New Reply
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast