Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Computer Hardware, Systems and Building

What are you talking about? When did I confuse RAM with hard drive bottleneck? I've only tinkered with RAMs and didn't have a problem for about a year after installing new RAM on my Sony.

I know it's the same, but I'm talkin about the quality. Some companies can make poor quality, like how I heard a company (Seagate?) made poor quality HDD while WD made great quality external HDD.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    What are you talking about? When did I confuse RAM with hard drive bottleneck?
    I'm pretty interested in SSD as well though, with how fast it'd make the laptop. But considering its prices, and the fact that my laptop's good enough, I'm not sure I need to worry about that right now, especially since I have like, 8 GB of RAM.

You're implying RAM makes your PC "fast" here, when you're loosely comparing it to an SSD. As long as your workload is not starved of RAM, you could be using 4GB and it probably won't make a difference.

Quote Quote:
    I know it's the same, but I'm talkin about the quality. Some companies can make poor quality, like how I heard a company (Seagate?) made poor quality HDD while WD made great quality external HDD.
    Eh, I personally don't think that's true, it's more luck of the draw imo. Unless a certain brand has a really bad track record.
    -

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

RAM does make the PC faster though. I had 512MB of RAM and it was so slow, couldn't go for more htan two days without hibernating. After getting 4 GB of RAM, I could go for a week of hibernating, and the laptop was much faster.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have enough RAM for the applications to use, OS uses hard disk space as virtual memory and since hard disk is orders of magnitudes slower than RAM, the overall computer speed drops drastically. But if you already have enough RAM to be used, adding more RAM makes little to no impact.

SSDs increase performance in a different way. They are much faster than HDDs when they read many small files scattered all over the disk which means faster system boot and application launch times. But once the application is loaded into the memory and you start using it, you can't see much difference in the overall performance of the application. For example a SSD doesn't help much with the rendering of web pages on a browser.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    RAM does make the PC faster though. I had 512MB of RAM and it was so slow, couldn't go for more htan two days without hibernating. After getting 4 GB of RAM, I could go for a week of hibernating, and the laptop was much faster.
    Sounds like a memory leak issue more than a ram issue .

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's that in this case, though. Chances are the fan's related, whether affectin the video card or something or gettin too hot that causes the reboot?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    No issues, SSDs actually don't benefit gaming besides probably lowering load times. I recommend you get the next number above 250/256GB though. I won't get into the exact details, but in general, you don't want to use up all the space your drive can give you. Transfer speeds/access time start lowering when you start reaching maximum capacity. i.e: you should always leave a certain chunk of space, a "spare area", on SSDs for them to continuously run at peak performance. Most OEMs state 7% of the entire disk space, but PC enthusiasts generally go for 10-15% for good measure.

The other thing is, if your storage space is going to be entirely NAND flash, you will want to make sure you have a good back-up for your files. Because when SSD drives die, they just die. Unlike mechanical HDDs where you have the clicking when it starts to die, SSDs just die. You won't even have the time to back-up before it dies if it decides to die.

.....I think I've covered all you need to know now?

With regards to the future, yeah, I think prices will continue to plummet once the next-gen SSD controllers and new process node are ready (and we get a new slew of faster SSDs as well as new capacities). Is SSD the future? I don't know, the future is unclear. I personally can't imagine 1TB-sized consumer SSDs. We'd probably have to hit some pretty crazy process nodes to stick the number of NANDs on the PCB for that figure. And then there's potential for less reliable drives when you start hitting crazy low process nodes. Not to mention there will likely be a new standard coming out as we've saturated SATA 6Gb/s speeds now. Again, that's only my opinion, I could be wrong. But it's one of the reasons I didn't jump on the bandwagon and went with a hybrid drive as a stepping stone, the future is unclear.
    Well, I thought a 250 g SSD would be hypthetically appropriate taking in consideration I have had my computer for just about 3 years and I am using 166gs out of 280 available. I don't think I will have a an increase in my usage of memory in the near future either for that matter so I would think the amount of space I have is actually fairly adequate as spare area. I guess I do have to consider I have no clue whatsoever on what is actually taking 166g of memory though, it is entirely possible I am either using more than what I actually have to or to the contrary I actually will eventually require more than the 280 gs which my laptop currently has.

The thing about them just dying is certainly worrysome though. I do own an external hard drive though (500Gs available) so provided I am careful I shouldn't have problems should I ever do the change.

Thanks for all the information, it will definitely be useful if I ever do change to SSD or get a laptop with one (or a hybrid).

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Rather than waste shitloads of money on SSD, why not get external HDD so you can move files there and reduce hte memory on your computer? Plus, you can make a backup as well, killin two birds with one stone?

I'm pretty interested in SSD as well though, with how fast it'd make the laptop. But considering its prices, and the fact that my laptop's good enough, I'm not sure I need to worry about that right now, especially since I have like, 8 GB of RAM.

The Installed Memory thing in Properties say 8 GB. Is that right? I remember when I installed 4 GB of RAM in my old laptop, it showed 3.96 or something instead. Should it say 7.96 instead? Maybe this is why my laptop keeps or kept fucking up so much.
    Well, I do have an external HDD just in case. I actually do take care pretty good care of my laptop and it performs just as well as it did when I just got it though. My sole consideration in regards to this was the improved performance and perhaps the improved battery life (although I have a bad history with taking care of batteries to my eternal shame). From what I recall a new laptop battery (provided its not apple) is just about 30 dollars or so so I doubt the improved battery life would actually be worth the expense. With how I use my laptop I don't even need a battery 99% of the time anyways(I do need to move it but only between my home and my job).

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

One of the things I actually OCD about my laptop is to keep its performance at its best. For that particular purpose I actually check every now and then and uninstall programs which waste space on a regular basis. Now, after deleting everything which I deemed useless I am left in the position where I simply don't know if something is actually useful or not. Google hasn't been all that friendly in giving me insights as to what is safe to uninstall either. Anyone knows where I can check if it is safe to uninstall certain programs?

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    One of the things I actually OCD about my laptop is to keep its performance at its best. For that particular purpose I actually check every now and then and uninstall programs which waste space on a regular basis. Now, after deleting everything which I deemed useless I am left in the position where I simply don't know if something is actually useful or not. Google hasn't been all that friendly in giving me insights as to what is safe to uninstall either. Anyone knows where I can check if it is safe to uninstall certain programs?
    If your computer is in good shape, I wouldn't bother, you may not realize that you actually need them until it's too late. If you're worried about the space they occupy on the hard disk, it is likely negligible, what matters more is whether they're resident in RAM and if this is the case, what percent of RAM and CPU time they use under normal circumstances. Most of the time their effect on the performance isn't worth uninstalling them.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@Milly and Kinfe: Oops. Yes, I meant RAM. I have plenty of memory left for files and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Doesn't your model have at least 2GB (2x1GB)??? Where'd the other 1GB go.
    Only 1GB.

I'll probably go to the nearest Future Shop or Best Buy then. I looked at the prices at the Apple Store online, and they were pretty expensive.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not try Newegg? Try price comparison though, and make sure they're of good quality.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Troubleshooting and Tech Support

Um, dunno if this is actually a question for this thread but it does have sort of a "supportive" and "troublesome" shadow behind it. Basically I am at a lost if I want to buy an iPad(tablet) or a laptop. It may be simple but think of it as a way to spend a scholarship, I know laptop is more practical and will help me with school, but the materialistic gadget side in my says tablet.

Maybe someone can help me from a tech perspective on this one?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

/teleports

Let's move it here for now. c:

The real question is: what are you using it for?

Tablets for the most part are most definitely more mobile than a notebook, but they're not exactly productivity tools, rather consumption tools.
    -

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, are you planning on using whatever you buy to actually write papers? If you get an ipad you basically forfeit on doing that unless you buy a keyboard along with it which is an extra expense. I haven't used an ipad with a keyboard though so I have no idea on whether that is comfortable or whether it has the basic functionality you usually require from even simple things like office (I assume an ipad has spell check). If you need some of the more advanced functions of excel then an ipad is probably not useful either... If you are planning on using it for school then there is the question of whether your school can provide you with software you might need (assuming your school provides you with software, in the US they usually do and I assume schools in Europe do that too). If whatever software you are going to need is not available for an ipad then its probably not a good idea.

So.... as knife said, it comes down to what exactly you are going to use it for. If you are going to use it only at an extremely basic level and make a few sacrifices then an ipad can work for you. Anything else and you perhaps need something with more power behind it. The only tablet out there which is actually a near replacement for a laptop is the surface with windows 8 pro as far as I know but that one is even more expensive than the ipad and it does not even include the keyboard(and the powerful hardware behind it makes battery life shorter than other tablets but perhaps that is not a fair comparison).

Maybe you could look at a hybrid? That way you get the tablet and the laptop.... Oh, also, are you set on getting something from apple or are you open for other brands?

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

Well I am open for everything.

Here is my main issue though: Maybe I can get a tablet now, I already have a good functioning PC at home, if I get a laptop that would mean I have two, and maybe I can sell the PC and get some cheaper tablet in return, but I really want to have a tablet, the gadget side of me just wants it sooo badly.

I am basically a traveling student so I think an ipad is more worth to break the communication barrier at school since they really have outdated computers, that most do not even work.

Basically if I have a PC is the tablet the way to go, and can someone run me down with some good choices of them?

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

Well, if you already have a PC at home which you can use for your schoolwork then the laptop is not as necessary, that does make quite a difference. If you can actually do without the benefits of a proper laptop at school and have a proper pc at home then a tablet might as well be more convenient than a laptop. Tablets are less powerful and versatile than laptops in general however the simplicity of a tablet and their increased portability does have benefits which are well worth considering. At the basic level using a tablet at school is meant to carry class slides and material and taking notes. Obviously dropbox takes care of the first part and unless I am wrong evernote is pretty good for taking notes or in a worst case scenario you can spend 20 dollars or so for office in a tablet. I have not actually used a tablet for taking notes at school (I am horrible at taking notes, I was raised in a more textbook oriented school system so to speak) however at a glance it seems you would indeed need a keyboard for that.

As far as good choices for tablets.... What size are you looking for in a tablet? are you a 10 inch kinda person or are you looking for a cheaper 7-8 inch alternative? Since you want to use your tablet for school I guess you would be wise to stay away from the kindle tablets. Those are media consumption tablets, they are made for you to spend money on movies. Probaby some of the best image quality and sounds you will find but very limited app selection. At large I have heard pretty good things from the nexus series tablets. The nexus 10 is a respectable 100 dollar cheaper than an ipad and has some pretty powerful software behind it. Same thing can be said for the nexus 7. They are releasing HD versions of both of them this year but I am not entirely sure of when.... Apple tablets are obviously good choices. They are the easiest to use and have a large app selection(I am personally not an apple fan but I am trying to be as objective as possible). Samsung's tablets are excellent too.... If you want a truly powerful tablet then you could also consider the windows surface. Windows RT has microsoft words included and that piece of software is more productive than other tablet OSs. Then there is the surface pro which has the actual windows * software and the tablet as a whole is as powerful as a laptop (meaning it is an actual productivity tool). Setting aside that those are hard to come by right now in the US (not sure of where you are) the major downside of the RT and pro versions is that there is what the internet seems to call an steep learning curve with those and the metro look is a tad hard to get used to. Lenovo and acer also make pretty decent tablets but I personally don't know any one model in particular....

The best thing I can advise to you now is to got to cnet and read some product reviews. They go reasonably in debt and it could be really helpful in making a decision.

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast