Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    I'm interested in what was the problem too...please keep us updated...to me it seems like this is pure software problem, but I might be wrong, I never encountered such a problem before...
    The problem occurred right after Windows 8.1 was installed which suggests it was a software problem but the video card doesn't work at all, the system doesn't even show the BIOS screen which seems to be a hardware problem, it's indeed a very interesting case.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It starts faster, because windows 8 doesn't let your PC shut down properly in the first place...it's in a hybrid sleep/hibernate mode, so that the data gets loaded faster on boot...just take out that option, and see how much beefier win8 actually is ...
    Could be but it's 4-5 seconds to get from pushing the power button to the desktop, however it achieves such a thing, I can't go back from that.

Aren't you using separate drives for your data on the PC...because that way you could just have a clean install without losing info, and your win8 stuff will be put in a windows.old folder
    No, but I keep most of the important stuff on externals. The reason I don't want to do it has more to do with game and program re-installs, hunting down passwords I've long forgotten, and remodding Skyrim back to the way I like it. All that will eat up days worth of time for me. Which is why I went for new vid card first. That takes about a minute.

What I know, and perhaps this won't be of any help...but the nvidia control panel gives you options as to what graphics adapter you want to use for different applications...perhaps playing around a bit that might help...I dunno
    Sadly, if that were possible that would require Nvidia drivers, integrated GPU is AMD Radeon. And I can't install those without the graphics card being in.

I'm interested in what was the problem too...please keep us updated...to me it seems like this is pure software problem, but I might be wrong, I never encountered such a problem before...
    Yeah, I'll definitely post an update after my vid card arrives, probably late tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    The problem occurred right after Windows 8.1 was installed which suggests it was a software problem but the video card doesn't work at all, the system doesn't even show the BIOS screen which seems to be a hardware problem, it's indeed a very interesting case.
    Yeah, at this point. I'm almost hoping it's hardware. Because a burnt out video card I can understand, and would look exactly like this, even if the timing seems kinda crazy.

The only other option I can think of is if it's a bizarre extension of the windows 8 issue where Nvidia based cards make the default monitor one that doesn't exist . Because that issue looks much the same as this, with no signal to the monitor at any stage of startup, and for some reason just isn't detecting new monitors anymore due to whatever driver issues are going on.

I suppose, it's possible Knifeshade could be right and it could be a chipset incompatibility but to be honest that goes beyond my computer knowledge. And the motherboard in my computer is a pretty common one, as it's part of a prebuilt Best Buy rig. So there are a lot of similar rigs out there, so logically if this was caused by a chipset issue with that motherboard you'd think I'd have been able to find support conversations about similar problems all over the place wouldn't you?

---------- Post added December 04, 2013 at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was December 03, 2013 at 12:01 PM ----------

Update

Just plugged in the new graphics card. and...it worked.

Last edited by Jammin; December 03, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

3. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Amen tot hat brother.
    Finally, grats man!!

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Amen tot hat brother.
    Finally, grats man!!
    Thanks. Looks like whatever was going on was the graphics card. The new one worked just like you'd expect.

With my graphics card came a AMD Bronce Reward code that expires Dec 31st. Which basically gives you a free game (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon; Sleeping Dogs, Dues Ex, or Dirt 3.) but I've played everything but Dirt 3 which I have no interest in.

Anybody want it?
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Thanks. Looks like whatever was going on was the graphics card. The new one worked just like you'd expect.

With my graphics card came a AMD Bronce Reward code that expires Dec 31st. Which basically gives you a free game (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon; Sleeping Dogs, Dues Ex, or Dirt 3.) but I've played everything but Dirt 3 which I have no interest in.

Anybody want it?
    If you still have it then deus ex please for me ...is it the updated version or the old one?

Aaanyways...congratz congratz...a new vid card is always good, and you will be able to enjoy Witcher 3 to its fullest ...

I wish I could do that *sigh

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at Newegg for a hard drive but happened to stumble across this: I don't know about you, but the name is UNFORTUNATE to me.

Laugh my brothers! Laugh!

10. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yo! I am looking for a decent laptop in the 500-650 price range. Any thoughts? I have scoured google and amazon but I have not really found one I am comfortable with.... I was hoping to be able to find one with at least HHD+SSD....

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

These two:

Lenovo Ideapad U510 - $600

Dell 15z Ultrabook (plus sleeve case) - $614

The Lenovo has the better specs, but I'd probably give the edge to the Dell, because it has better after-sale support.
    -

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7