Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Do you like 3D movies? Why? Why not?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you like 3D movies? Why? Why not?

Recently there has been this whole thing about ALL movies being released in 3D. Now, how do you feel about those movies? Is 3D worth it? Do you find it enjoyable? Would you willingly pay extra to see a movie in 3D with a regular or HD option being available?
    On a personal level I have to admit there is not a single scenario where I have found anything about 3D enjoyable. There is nothing about the whole thing that seems worth the effort. Perhaps the worst part about it for me is the glasses. I hate them. Each pair has probably been wore a billion times by who knows who at the movies, as far as I am concerned we have little reason to believe they are cleaned as often as they should (which for me should be after each and every movie) and even if I do wear them they are uncomfortable.

Now, all of that could be bearable for me if the whole thing at least was visually better than just regular HD but IMO it is simply not. Dunno why but there is something plain tiresome about watching 3D movies.... And from a visual point of view its not actually better than just regular HD. People can say what they will about avatar being 3D done right but I would have honestly paid money to NOT see it in 3D (not even proper HD, just not in 3D). Honestly, lately I have actually begun to feel kinda insulted over the fact that they charge you extra for 3D movies. Last time I went to the movies I asked why in gods name they were charging me a couple extra bucks for the movie and the excuse was that it was 3D.... and there wasn't a non 3D option.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Iceiphoenix; July 07, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you like 3D movies? Why? Why not?

I don't enjoy 3D in general, aside, maybe, very specific case they just add nothing. One of the problem is that they're adapting a lot of 2D movies into 3D, so the..."improvement" isn't very noticeable. The real 3D movies are more enjoyable and yet, it's just secondary to me. Avatar might be the exception (because honestly the story is just average) and yet.

I guess it's nice for children/family animation movies.

Even though I have the 3D glasses and don't have to pay it anymore, I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. Besides I'm already wearing glasses, another negative factor.

Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never really liked 3D in general, whether a movie was made for 3D or if it was adapted into 3D. Like kkck, I find that the biggest problem are the glasses. I have to push them up every minute or so (anime style) and they are so uncomfortable. Sometimes I even get a headache because the glasses are too tight. Other than that, just watching it for an extended amount of time makes my eyes hurt and I have to take off the glasses and rest my eyes for a bit before continuing to watch the movie.
    Agreeing with kkck again, I also find that 3D movies really aren't visually better. I find that when I watch 3D movies, everything just seems more blurred and not HD at all. Many people have said that 3D is visually enhancing. But really, no. Just no.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to see "The Avengers" last year in 3-D and hated the experience. Plus, I just don't like things in my face and wearing glasses throughout a 2-hour movie is unappealing. I don't see how you even get kids to wear 3-D glasses for over an hour, before they get irritated.

But, to each it's own. I prefer, just sitting down and watching a movie the old-fashion and affordable way. That "IMAX" sh*t is overrated too.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

3D, I just agree with James Cameron on that one - most of the movies post-Avatar are made into 3D for the sake of gaining more money from viewers, without taking into account such things like quality. If anything, for me only Avatar is a movie which brings 3D to full its glory <Titanic in 3D, imo, wasn't half-bad either - although conversion, Cameron, no matter what may ppl think about him, makes 3D technology in all its glory, thats quality xd>. Aside from Cameron, Ang Lee's Life of Pi had awesome 3D. Such films as IM3 or MoS doesn't need 3D. Nowadays most of the movies in cinemas is displayed in 2/3D, so everybody can be happy <3

btw. Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity should have awesome 3D <though it wasn't shot in 3D, just conversion, but it seems thats another movie 'signed' by Cameron as faithful to 3D technology after Life of Pi >
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Nast.J's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Gives headache, really uncomfortable, doesn't really change from 2D, Ugly glasses.

Also what about people wearing glasses? It's impossible to wear glasses under those 3D glasses. I know alot of people with glasses that ended up watching the 3D movie without the 3D glasses because you couldn't use both at the same time and it really sucked for them.

Also we look like retards with those glasses. proof:
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

no they give me massive headaches lol

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

more expensive, no added value most of the time & the biggest "No": I'm already wearing glasses ...
    Plus, americans are not that much concerned but try to read subtitles in 3D mode ...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the worst thing is when you have to wear filthy 3d glasses that a bunch of people have worn and touched.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuck! Your's are used? We do put ours in a bin at the end of the movie, but when we get them they are sealed in plastic and you can tell they were new. Ours get recycled after the movie not reused. You can tell they are not reused as there is no finger prints or grime/grease on them. Also no wear and tear that would accumulate if they were reused.

Having said that... 3D movies are ok but I would prefer it be good quality 2D. Some of the AVX movies were well made.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not like 3D movies unless there's a good reason behind it, like Avatar. 3D seems pointless and costlier, so it annoys me. The 3D isn't that 3D or good, I miss hte red and blue 3D. I'd rather have 2D anytime. EVen 3D TV is a ridiculous concept, but people are ridiculous.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those sentiments, 3D movies are more expensive, the glasses aren't hygienic because many people wear them and the movie doesn't look that good, not to mention the headache watching in 3D gives me. I miss the good old days.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by good old days? Red 'n' blue glasses or have the theaters in your area adopted 3D only?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

If its an action film and I'm looking to be entertained why not have an extra gimmick? If its a choice between a 2d explosion and a 3d explosion, i would chose 3d Every.Single.Time. I go the cinema to enjoy the gimmicks. It's not an essential element to the film, or the plot or the storyline but i dont care because HOLY SHIT HE JUST PUNCHED THE GUY STRAIGHT AT ME.

New Reply