Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)

View Poll Results: How long will this fight with the Elders last?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 more chapter (Ending at 260)

2 25.00%
  • 2 more chapters (Ending at 261)

5 62.50%
  • 3 or more chapters (Ending at 262+)

1 12.50%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 259 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 259 Review

Thanks to everybody who voted for me in the community awards and/or reads my reviews. As you may have noticed, I got myself a reviewer merit badge and title to go with it.

The poll last week was about who Seira would fight and the majority thought she would fight the 10th Elder and that Bonerre would mind his own beeswax, or fight somebody else or something. So far it's looking like the majority rules.

Now onto the review.

Chapter Summary

My first thought when I saw this was... "Their aren't enough elaborate codpieces in Noblesse."

This week begins with a flashback of Seira standing in rose garden. As she quietly stands there gazing at the roses Gejutel arrives and tells her that her father has been killed and that she is now the leader of the Loyard Clan. She responds by telling him that she has not gone through her coming of age ceremony and is no yet qualified but Gejutel tells her that whether or not she can do this... she must.

Things switch back to the present where she stands before the 10th Elder who seems to know all about her premature rise to Clan Leader and it offends him that the weakest of the Clan Leaders would dare block his way. Going on to say that it's time the Nobles realize they have been surpassed by the Union. Seira responds by calmly asking him if he's done as she would like to get started soon (mocking him for his longwindedness); causing Frankenstein to applaud in the background.

The 10th Elder attacks fast, intending to dispatch her quickly, but Seira is faster. Evading the attack and landing a few of her own. The quick exchange leaves a cut on Seira's cheek and the Elder missing half of his mustache.

After this Seira calls forth the death scythe and the 10th Elder gets serous, transforming into a Rhino-Minotaur form. Seira fights with speed and her Death Scythe but the 10th seems to have the advantage of strength and resilience in his Rhinotaur form. It seems a tough battle may be ahead for her.

Frankenstien takes notice Seira's situation and the 11th uses the distraction to land some blows on him but just as it seems he had the advantage Frankenstein impales him with a large spear of dark energy which seems to begin to devour him.

Chapter Review

Wow, either she is the most selfless person in the world or her dad must of have been a douche.

Substance

Seira was the star of the show this week, and I loved that.

We got some clear perspective on her by showing the moment where Seira learned that her father is dead and that she was to become clan leader long before she was ready. No greater indication of her character can be found in the moments after she learned her father had been killed in a trap using innocent humans as bait. Her first concern was for the safety of the innocents and when Gejutel told her that they had survived thanks to the sacrifice of her father and those with him her response was "I am glad". Which is a powerful statement of what principles she holds dear.

The fight itself showcased her style of fighting in the way I hoped it would. She really is a "Dance like a butterfly, sting like a Bee" type of fighter. Speed and grace combined with deadly power.

The 10th Elder for his part seemed to be much more brute force than I expected. Both in his fighting style and attitude. His "Rhinotaur" form clearly favors strength and endurance; making him a particularly interesting opponent for Seira. His attitude I found to be surprisingly simple. He showed some ability to think and strategist but when the chips were down, and his pride was hurt, he just got angry and charged.

The other obvious point that needs mentioning is the 11th Elders downfall at the Frankenstien's hands and the way the dark spear seemed to be...eating him. Give it's nature this would make a lot of sense, if this is indeed what's happening but we'll have to wait until next week to really understand that one.

Presentation

Art wise things were going good for a while. Seira's fighting style is one of the most dynamic fight drawing we've seen and I just loved the way it was done. A good job was also done with Frankenstein injury's, which looked gory and painful. But detail started to look rougher toward the end. Culminating in a panel where Frankenstein's shirt vanished and reappeared on the next page. As art mistakes go, making a bright white shirt disappear and then reappear is a doozy.

Pacing-wise I liked it much better than last week. As anybody who reads my reviews probably knows by now, I think mid-battle flashbacks are one of the cardinal sins of writing. As they break any momentum that the story has. Which is why I think it's important to note that this wasn't a mid-battle flashback. This flashback happened before Seira's battle, as to not interrupt the action, allowing it to give momentum to the story instead of take it away. This is the "right" way.

Overall Rating

I really liked what this chapter did for Seira's character and I suspect most fans will too. Unfortunately, one pretty blatant art mistake forces me to grade it harsher than the rest of the chapter deserves.

I give it a 4 out of 5 (I should probably dock 2pts for the sheer magnitude of that art mistake but I just can't do it...)

Predictions Section

New Prediction
    • Both the 10th Elder and the 11th Elder will be defeated by the end of next week's chapter(Chapter 260)

Old Predictions: (18 Wins/ 22 Losses)

Spoiler: Ongoing show
    Last edited by Jammin; November 20, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackdynamite410's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 259 Review

I voted two but I think the final blow will be landed next chapter but it will spill over into the following chapter. Either Seira will do it after a struggle or Franken will kill him if he's gaining the upper hand. It also might take two chapters because we also have to see what happens to the 11th.

I'll make a prediction. Yuri will show up once the elders are dead with a message from Crombell. He'll use Tao and Takeo as hostages to keep he and Bonerre safe.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I imagine the lord reaction when she gets to know about all of this
    I still hope to see a little bit of Rai-nim action but I fine with Seira and Franky ^^
    I glad that the author didnt made the elders seem so weak, as they could actually fight back a lot.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the win, Jammin

---

I voted #3, because it would be a shame for this confrontation to end so soon.

Also, I didn't notice the art mistake, so I'd give the chapter 5/5. Great balance of action, character development, and plot progression. Franky praising Siera for her taunting remark was just amazing, haha!

Good stuff.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdynamite410 View Post
    I voted two but I think the final blow will be landed next chapter but it will spill over into the following chapter. Either Seira will do it after a struggle or Franken will kill him if he's gaining the upper hand. It also might take two chapters because we also have to see what happens to the 11th.

I'll make a prediction. Yuri will show up once the elders are dead with a message from Crombell. He'll use Tao and Takeo as hostages to keep he and Bonerre safe.
    That would be pretty interesting. Mainly because Yuri's doesn't know of Raizel's existence as far as I'm aware. That would be a confrontation I would love to see.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I imagine the lord reaction when she gets to know about all of this
    I still hope to see a little bit of Rai-nim action but I fine with Seira and Franky ^^
    I glad that the author didnt made the elders seem so weak, as they could actually fight back a lot.
    I'm also liking how Noblesse is stepping up the competition. The 11th and 12th Elders kinda seemed like pushovers. They just went down too easy.

The 10th Elder seems like he's a significant step up. Much like the Cerberus people were for M-21 on the rest. The power gaps overall seem to be steadily narrowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    I voted #3, because it would be a shame for this confrontation to end so soon.

Also, I didn't notice the art mistake, so I'd give the chapter 5/5. Great balance of action, character development, and plot progression. Franky praising Siera for her taunting remark was just amazing, haha!

Good stuff.
    I could definitely go along with seeing Seira fight more. Everything about the way she fought was just great. Though I wish the artist would use the "glowing eye" thing, like he did last week, more. Incorperating moments like that with the combat panels of this chapter would be just...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Yeah, good point about the art.

Normally, I don't pay attention to the artwork when I read manga/manhwa. But now that I think about it, I kinda wish there was a little more detail to the attacks between the 11th elder and Franky. All the 11th's attacks were just big green blobs

On a side note, I wonder if Franky's dark spear will get a power-up after eating the 11th elder?

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrs View Post
    ^ Yeah, good point about the art.

Normally, I don't pay attention to the artwork when I read manga/manhwa. But now that I think about it, I kinda wish there was a little more detail to the attacks between the 11th elder and Franky. All the 11th's attacks were just big green blobs

On a side note, I wonder if Franky's dark spear will get a power-up after eating the 11th elder?
    I think it will, but it might not be a significant one.

Frankenstein isn't even using the full form dark spear so, even if he permanently acquired around say 10% of the 11th Elders powers by the dark spear "eating" him it probably wouldn't even be noticeable.

New Reply