Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Sentence w/ phrase "車代はしょぼい"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner deanna's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sentence w/ phrase "車代はしょぼい"

Hello all,

I am stuck on the following sentence:

この頃 毎日 帰宅が明け方 そのくせ 車代はしょぼいし。

The panel shows the speaker and her husband walking home in the dark. I feel like she is probably saying that her husband has been coming home so late that they are out of money for cabs/subway or whatever, but I'm not sure I understand how that relates to what time he comes home... Help!

In the previous sentence, she had said that they weren't able to go out to eat tonight.
    Last edited by deanna; November 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Help] Sentence w/ phrase "車代はしょぼい"

Quote Originally Posted by deanna View Post
    Hello all,

I am stuck on the following sentence:

この頃 毎日 帰宅が明け方 そのくせ 車代はしょぼいし。

The panel shows the speaker and her husband walking home in the dark. I feel like she is probably saying that her husband has been coming home so late that they are out of money for cabs/subway or whatever, but I'm not sure I understand how that relates to what time he comes home... Help!

In the previous sentence, she had said that they weren't able to go out to eat tonight.
    車代(carfare)here is similar to a commutation allowance to cover some or all of the 交通費(traffic/transportation/traveling expenses) when an employee takes a taxi (or whatever) home from work (after working overtime).

しょぼい is so small/less/poor, and is a disappointment

<The panel shows the speaker and her husband walking home in the dark. > --> Does it mean that both the speaker and her husband work late and come home late? If so, she is just complaining that she and her husband need to work overtime and return home late everyday but their employer doesn't provide them of enough to cover the carfare. Depends on the context, she may be just talking about her husband and his employer like you translated.
    Last edited by mikkih; November 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: hudsband's --> hudsband and his
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner deanna's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Help] Sentence w/ phrase "車代はしょぼい"

PERFECT! That fits the story exactly. They do work together. I didn't know what carfare was exactly so your explanation helps a LOT. Thanks very much!

Translator/Moderator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sentence w/ phrase "車代はしょぼい"

Just to make my previous post clear ...
    Carfare in English is used for travel expenses (link to online definition of carfare), and I mentioned "allowance to cover the carfare" to explain the usage of 車代. 車代 can be (1) carfare/travel expenses and (2) the money provided to cover such expenses. In this case, 車代 is (2).
    Translators' Academy l Translators' Classroom
    Play Japanese shiritori word game!
    [NEW] Shiritori Word Chain Thread @TA Classroom
    Check out out new Summer Threads @TA Classroom!

New Reply