Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Barakamon

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Barakamon

Barakamon
    Genre: Comedy
    Production: Kinema Citrus
    Director: Tachibana Masaki
    Starring: Ono Daisuke and Hara Suzuko

As a punishment for punching a famous Calligrapher, young handsome Calligrapher Handa Seishu is exiled on a small island. As someone who has never lived outside of a city, Handa has to adapt to his new wacky neighbors, like people traveling on a tractor, unwanted visitors who never use the front door, annoying kids using his home as a playground, etc. Can this city guy handle all the crazy hardships? Find out in this wacky island comedy full of innocence and laughter!!!

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barakamon

Episode 1:

That slow motion punch.
    Naru-chan kawaii. I sure hope those two get a nice father/brother-daughter/sister-like relationship, is what I think and then he just pushs her into the water.

That sunset scene.
    Living in such a small village sure is different from living in the big city huh?
    Hina was even more adorable.

OP and ED are amazing too.
    This could be an awesome show.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

"If you don't try, you won't get to see anything".
    Looks like Sensei still has long ways to learn what the life is about. That was the criticism he received. He was just obsessed with living to perfection, working to perfection, producing to perfection that he couldn't discover a unique artistic touch. Those people on the island might help him overcome this struggle. Solid first episode, I liked the story a lot.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This show reminds me of Usagi Drop except set in a rural town as opposed to a city.

It was really touching to see the islanders offering to help Sensei settle in his new house. Tokyo -or city life in general- is all about working and living for yourself so it will definitely provide a new perspective for Sensei by being on the island. They all seem so chill and carefree, which will definitely help him with his calligraphy.

I absolutely love the Nagasaki dialect that most of the characters speak in, and it's especially cute when Naru speaks it. (I think the seiyuu for Naru is a child herself, and she's doing a really good job right from the start.) I've always wanted to watch a show where non-standard/Kansai dialects were prominently featured so I'm quite excited.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

The children dubbing Naru and Hina are really good BTW. O_O
    In any case I'm going to love this show and the reason can be found in this very first episode.
    I'm looking forward to watching the relationship between the two them developing in a way that will allow Handa to find what will make him a true calligrapher.
    And it seems like that is already happening, which makes me happy.
    Looking forward to watching the next episode of this soothing anime.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW he punched the director, great scene. Jumon Boy's (what is this?)problem is that he is too rigid, nice atmosphere. The villagers are nice, some of them live in his house for sure.

The scene at the end was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    The children dubbing Naru and Hina are really good BTW. O_O
    True. It's easy to notice that she is a child
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    WOW he punched the director, great scene. Jumon Boy's (what is this?)problem is that he is too rigid, nice atmosphere. The villagers are nice, some of them live in his house for sure.
    A Junon Boy pretty much means that you are a "pretty boy" from one of those fashion magazines.

---------- Post added July 13, 2014 at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was July 07, 2014 at 02:35 PM ----------

Episode 2:

Haha I doubt that Narus jokes will ever get old... That eggplant one and the bitch slap were especially good.
    The poor nurse... Sensei is such a womanizer...

Those parents need an epic parenting award. Especially the mother... That was so random.

PS: And he can't cook. x'D

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody onions? Well, they're indeed unsightly. XD
    Another calm and funny episode; LOLed at Hiroshi's parents and Naru's jokes.
    And Handa sure is a womanizer, considering that he put to test Iku's love for her husband. LOL
    Looking forward to watching the next episode.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Censorship for food . Funniest episode of this fall so far along with Space Dandy.

Handa is kind of a dork, with the synopsis I was expecting a character overly serious but he is not. The supporting cast is good too.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you keep watching until the end of the credits! There's another scene afterwards!!

In the end of the first episode, the mayor wanted to bring chanpon noodles to Sensei but was freaked out since Sensei was acting all crazy. In this episode, the son of the mayor goes to Sensei's house to deliver the chanpon that his dad failed to do.

Notice how much water the noodle has absorbed since it was left out overnight.

I thought that small detail was brilliant and funny.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Episode 3:

Haha he has to read Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater. At least the geek gave him good stuff.
    So that is how girls start to love Yaoi...

Mochi picking is a competition?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yasuba's lesson was epic. Maybe Handa finally realized how to be level-headed now, and take it a step at a time.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Tamako's inner monologue about how she simultaneously denies and admits she's a fujoshi was hilarious. Even though she seems to be a soft-spoken girl who's a fan of shounen and BL, her art style was definitely not something I expected from her.

I love how dramatic picking up mochi is. It was nice that Yasuba gave him a pep talk, and I think Sensei will learn how to grow as a person and a calligrapher by these social interactions.

Fun Fact: The seiyuu for Miwa (the tomboy), Furuki Nozomi, is actually from the island that Barakamon is set in so she's also serves as the director for the dialect the villagers speak in.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

That manly face of Naru was simply hilarious!
    Too bad that it didn't last long thanks to Handa. XD
    Another funny episode and that Tama girl, with her passion for BL and horror manga, is simply awesome, especially after that epic reaction upon seeing Hiroshi and Handa through the eyes of a Fujoshi. LOL
    As for the Mochi picking, Handa sure took it too seriously, but at least this helped him getting back his determination and confidence.
    Looking forward to watching the next episode.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Another cat lover voiced by Ono? Though Handa is pretty much like Sebastian's polar opposite He suffered even more than in the precedent episodes.

Tama is a Fujoshi in training, her brother is a gamer, Miwa and her father are not so different.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast