Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Asian Drama Thread

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Asian Drama Thread

This is a thread to share our love for Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese drama series and movies.

I’m currently watching a K-drama called "Delightful Girl Choon Hyang". So far I have watched 10 episodes and I have enjoyed watching them all. I especially like the male lead in this series, he is awesome!! He is a great actor that can convey a variety of emotions with ease and in a natural way. Plus, he is very funny, I love his facial expressions.

Below is a bit more info about this series:

Details
    • Title: 쾌걸 춘향 / Kwae-geol Choon-hyang
    • Also known as: Sassy Girl, Choon-hyang (KBS Global) / Pleasurable Girl Choon-Hyang
    • Genre: Comedy, romance, drama
    • Episodes: 17
    • Broadcast network: KBS2
    • Theme Songs: see Delightful Girl Choon Hyang OST

Synopsis

"Sassy Girl, Choon-hyang" is the 2005 interpretation of the "Legend of Choon-hyang". The story begins when Lee Mong-ryong is transferred from Seoul to a high school in Namwon, North Jeolla Province. Chun-hyang does her best to help Mong-ryong, her first love and the son of the Namwon Police Station chief, to enter a prestigious university. However, after meeting with Mong-ryong's first love, Chae-rin, Mong-ryong's love toward Chun-hyang is shattered, although Chun-hyang's love remains unwavering. One day, Byeon Hak-do, CEO of a famous entertainment company, appears in her life. He exudes confidence that he can make any woman fall for him. But as Chun-hyang shows no interest in him, his self-esteem is damaged profoundly. Byeon Hak-do is determined to make her love him. --KBS Global Marketing
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Asian Drama Thread

sadly the original thread was accidentally deleted due to a database crash(?) and so we are starting fresh. ^^

Feel free to post recommendations or questions, or just plain fangirling, regarding Asian Dramas here.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    I’m currently watching a K-drama called "Delightful Girl Choon Hyang". So far I have watched 10 episodes and I have enjoyed watching them all. I especially like the male lead in this series, he is awesome!! He is a great actor that can convey a variety of emotions with ease and in a natural way. Plus, he is very funny, I love his facial expressions.
    Glad you're liking it, des-chan! Mong Ryong is one of my favorite characters in Asian drama I have watched; he is so alive, carefree, but deep inside he is quite thoughtful and love wholeheartedly. His quarrel with Chun Hyang is funny and lovely. When he cries, I feel like crying too. He is that awesome! More to come from him as you watched more episodes, I hope you enjoy how his character grows.

P.S.: The future Mong Ryong is even cooler.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh guys you should try Wild Romance. It's soooo funny

Spoiler show

Park Mu Yeol is a baseball celebrity, who by a certain circumstance suddenly requires the services of a bodyguard. This bodyguard is the female lead Eun Jae- who is the biggest fan of the opposing team.

I never really expected the humor, since I'm hard to please in the comedy department. But really this series has got me laughing every episode. Add to the fact that Park Mu Yeol is played by the actor Lee Dong Wook whom I loved from My Girl (2005). In this series he looks so good as a stupid jerk.

This is the first time I've encountered Li Si Young (the female lead) so I'm not too familiar with her, but the acting is also well played.

Maybe it's been a long time since I've watched Kdramas but I just want to commend this 2012 release. I like how I can relate to the characters more as opposed to earlier releases where the characters and situations are too overrated.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

baboysai-chan... That drama has just finished airing on my TV here.

I didn't check it out, though, since the hour of the drama when it was aired didn't match my schedule and I thought the actors are not very interesting for me. I wish to see some a more handsome man and more beautiful girl, LOL~ And it looks more as a comedy than a drama. I may check it out one day, but not now as I'm in otaku mode now, hahaha~ :P

You two should create a drama list. Use this MyDramaList website on my signature so it's easier to sort things out.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

kyaaaa but you should!

It's a weird combination of comedy, sweet stuff, and "suspense". I also didn't think the girl was attractive enough- but initially I only wanted to watch because of Lee Dong Wook. Don't you like him?

Here's him from My Girl back in 2005
    Spoiler show

and this is him in Wild Romance in 2012

Spoiler show

I was really surprised how the image changed- I only became a fan two weeks ago when I decided to watch My Girl from the recommendation of one of you guys Then I tried looking for another drama with him as the lead and it led me to this 2012 "dramedy".

Ah trust me on this, P-chan. It's a really very entertaining watch.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Mong Ryong is one of my favorite characters in Asian drama I have watched; he is so alive, carefree, but deep inside he is quite thoughtful and love wholeheartedly.
    He is one of my favs as well. And the actor who portrays him, he is fantastic!!

Quote Quote:
    His quarrel with Chun Hyang is funny and lovely.
    Well MR is very funny on his own, but I do agree that his quarrels with CH are very funny as well.

Quote Quote:
    When he cries, I feel like crying too.
    I feel the same well too!!

Quote Quote:
    More to come from him as you watched more episodes, I hope you enjoy how his character grows.
    So far I’m enjoying it very much but I like how even though he is maturing the child-like part of him (the hilarious expressions, that child-like honesty, that child-like kindness and sweetness) remain the same.

Quote Quote:
    P.S.: The future Mong Ryong is even cooler.
    I can’t wait to meet him then!

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Oh guys you should try Wild Romance. It's soooo funny

Spoiler show

Spoiler show
    Thank you for the recommendation, baboysai! I’m currently watching DGCH but as soon as I finish it I’ll start watching “Wild Romance”.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

I was really surprised how the image changed- I only became a fan two weeks ago when I decided to watch My Girl from the recommendation of one of you guys
    Yay! I’m glad to hear you watched “My Girl”! I loved that K-drama, it was hilarious. And yeah, his image sure has changed…I suppose the character in WR is very different from his character in MG…or do they share some similarities?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the recommendation, baboysai! I’m currently watching DGCH but as soon as I finish it I’ll start watching “Wild Romance”.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Yay! I’m glad to hear you watched “My Girl”! I loved that K-drama, it was hilarious. And yeah, his image sure has changed…I suppose the character in WR is very different from his character in MG…or do they share some similarities?
    They're very different characters. In My Girl he's a refined man since he's a director of a Hotel. In Wild Romance he's an idiot jock.

I'll try that Delightful Girl this week and see for myself what you're fangirling about.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

They're very different characters. In My Girl he's a refined man since he's a director of a Hotel. In Wild Romance he's an idiot jock.
    Thank you for answering my question! ^_^ But he is an idiot jock with a heart of gold, right?

Quote Quote:
    I'll try that Delightful Girl this week and see for myself what you're fangirling about.
    It took me a couple of eps to get me really into this K-drama, but after those eps I was sold, the male lead is amazing!!

Btw, have any of you guys watched Paradise Kiss (the movie)? I read
    Spoiler: for movie show
    , so I was wondering if I should check out the movie. But before doing it I wanted to know if the movie is as good as the manga/anime.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me a couple of eps to get me really into this K-drama, but after those eps I was sold, the male lead is amazing!!
    hmm, okay.

Because I watched the first 30 minutes and didn't want to proceed... It's a 2005 release right? And the actors don't look very appealing to me- they look old or something

How many episodes did you get into it?

Speaking of bad starts, I tried to watch Lie to Me and three episodes in I still couldn't appreciate it. :/ So i gave up on it.

Quote Quote:
    Btw, have any of you guys watched Paradise Kiss (the movie)? I read
    Spoiler: for movie show
    , so I was wondering if I should check out the movie. But before doing it I wanted to know if the movie is as good as the manga/anime.
    yup I watched it. Not so good as I imagined. It's hard to get the development right because it's from a series- and the characters in the manga have all a lot of depth (except for Yukari, lol). And they even changed the ending, so it demeans Yukari's character even more. >.>

I watched it purely out of curiosity. I had a bad feeling about it from the start. And it didn't change my premonition. You can still watch it for the sake of it though. Just to you know, see it for yourself.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, okay.

Because I watched the first 30 minutes and didn't want to proceed... It's a 2005 release right? And the actors don't look very appealing to me- they look old or something
    The first episode didn’t really captivate me…it wasn’t like in “My Girl” where I was immediately sold on the series. The actors grew on me as I watched more eps…so yeah, it takes a bit more time before you get really into it.

Quote Quote:
    How many episodes did you get into it?
    I think it was after 3 or 4 episodes…
    Spoiler show

Quote Quote:
    Speaking of bad starts, I tried to watch Lie to Me and three episodes in I still couldn't appreciate it. :/ So i gave up on it.
    I have heard great things about that drama but for some reason…it never caught enough of my attention or interest to make me want to watch it.

Quote Quote:
    yup I watched it. Not so good as I imagined. It's hard to get the development right because it's from a series- and the characters in the manga have all a lot of depth (except for Yukari, lol). And they even changed the ending, so it demeans Yukari's character even more. >.>
    Spoiler show

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I can't really remember if the movie "destroyed" the characters. Just not expounded well enough for the viewers to understand why they're like that. Since PK had such complex issues with their characters :/

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

This was aired too here before. I didn't watch it properly from the beginning though, only around the last third part of it. From the back end only it doesn't seem to be very interesting, I must admit. Reviews online mentioned about how the plot is weak. :|

From what I see you two are huge fans of romance drama?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well i'm not a huge fan of action/thriller/mystery/period/medical dramas so...

that would leave only the family dramas (Engine by Kimura Takuya please? ), romance, and dramedies (My Boss my Hero- Jap version). ^^

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

(Engine by Kimura Takuya please? )
    Nay, never heard.

I see. Well, if that's the case, that kind of drama I have ever seen is.... Hello Ghost. Have you seen it?

New Reply
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast