Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shuumatsu no Laughter by Tanabe Yellow

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Shuumatsu no Laughter by Tanabe Yellow

1 of the better starting chapters of this year. i get the naruto comparisons from the char and the overall reaction of the townspeople and maybe 101 mouth demon but they r superficial overall in my opinion. i infact felt this is more claymorelike than any other manga. the demon hunting and the opposite gender kid. also the chapter ending mysteries opens up a lot of possibilities. i also liked the tanabe taking her time to try to slowly build her world rather than jumping straight to action. hopefully some other magazines learn some thing *cough WSJ cough*.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

One word: wow

I was a huge fan of kekkaishi, not because of the art but more because of the settings, the characters, the plots and the storytelling. This manga starts more serious than Kekkaishi and I wouldn't be surprised if Tanabe is doing this on purpose. His audience has matured from back when he started kekkaishi and it is known that even older people still read shounen in Japan.

What amazes me is the pace of the story. It is not fast but it doesn't feel slow at all. If you expected a conclusion halfway then you illusioned yourself. You could clearly feel that mangaka wasn't aiming for a conclusion already. He is drawing out an interesting plot and setting with some potential. The main character might look like a - yondaime - matured naruto but everything stops there. He acts like a detective which mixes the good and the bad in himself but he remains mysterious himself. What and who is bad in this world? Which is the purpose of these sides? What's the main character's view on the world?

It amazes me how humans are described as being sinners to an extent that they are like demons. I really loved the dialogue between the main character and the priest in the church. The ending line is awesome too your god, shouldn't he have said "Love thy neighbour?" I wonder, are all immortals truly bad people?

And why do I think the mayor is Godot?
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The nice folks at Red Hawk and Imperial Scans have just released chapter 1. Anyone looking for a better translation should head over to one of their sites.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

I did not find the tone that much darker than Kekkaishi, at least after the Kokuboro first appeared. While she always maintained a healthy ense of humor, Kekkaishi was mostly a pretty serious manga. Now that a better version is out I need to reread chapter one, but overall I think it is off to a good start.
    Beaten again~ Not surprised though since Red Hawk tends to pick up...everything. I'll have to read their scantlation.

I mean compared to Kekkaishi's opening, this is a bit more serious. As for the pacing, Tanabe's always been more about world building and character building than plot building. There were times where Kekkaishi did feel like it was stagnating, but that's not at all a bad thing. I like her approach to stories...not every chapter needs to have good vs evil right away to be good. I'm hoping that she'll build upon the world she's establishing more before introducing the big bad.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    And why do I think the mayor is Godot?
    I actually thought that the priest might be Godot, using religion as a cover. But I guess still we will be getting religious themes here. Maybe more than just traditional Christianity. The religion in the manga seems to be a version of it.

I am expecting more cool designs, the white demons was really something with it's multiple mouths and stuff. I hope it develops well.

Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

well i read the 2. chapter (not the red hawk scans) the town has more than meets the eye. i am not sure "godot" is a bad guy and mayor is hiding something big. other than that it has been implied our MC maybe adopted and haru may not be his real sister. (pretty much deducted from the 1st chapter) so far the battle wasnt all that much thou Mc has a kunai handle on a western sword. i am just w8ing for the demon mouths to take effect. will they have other powers or not... and what the towns ppl will do aftermath.

Scanlator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Maxy Barnard's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be being an idiot, but there's something about this where I'm like... The kid's probably the real akuma and the MC is protecting her by making himself have such an obvious 'mouth' tattoo on his face.

Like... There's no reason to think that, but I do.

Chapter 2 was good.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice action, the manga can turn out to be a wonderful action series. Plus the philosophical part with the priest adds up to the diversity of themes. Also I like the sort of historical feel to the setting, seems like a medieval village. At least the villagers seem to give out that vibe.

And are they going to imitate Naruto again? xD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, Godot appears to be a ninja of some sort. Where will the Naruto comparisons end?

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josef K. View Post
    I actually thought that the priest might be Godot, using religion as a cover. But I guess still we will be getting religious themes here. Maybe more than just traditional Christianity. The religion in the manga seems to be a version of it.

I am expecting more cool designs, the white demons was really something with it's multiple mouths and stuff. I hope it develops well.
    After the second chapter, I am also thinking about the priest. His reaction towards that Tattoo, the vision of the mouth,... it has to mean more than just some historical, character background. Godot gives me a certain impression. I wonder if he is a villain. Well, he is an antagonist but you may never know what bad the mayor (and his village) have been doing to other people. The people of the village, their stories of Godot, the priest being exiled,... they are giving me more a suspicious feeling and goosebumps.

During a certain moment, the akuma eater remarks that he only shows his akuma mouth. He says: does he want to be like me?

Btw, who says that this mouth is a real one? Maybe someone uses it to keep the bad from the village away.

Anyway, he's also an akuma who is an akuma eater or his akuma mouth is not real but this human wants to kill akuma too
    Last edited by Koen; December 01, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the priest might not know that he is Godot. He may not be doing that consciously, of course with all of the mental pain he has suffered he is quite confused and mixed up. I do expect some development with the villagers though, they seem to be key in this story, at least if we take this as an intro arc. An arc to show off how strong our hero is.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member raDar's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

After reading chapter 2, I'm still torn if it really was the priest or not. Their physique is kinda different, but the face and the hair shown in the first chapter somewhat resembles. And there's something that tells me he somehow is Godot.

This feels really odd to me that a shounen manga in its second chapter didn't even have an introductory solved plot in its pilot but already has something that looks like a 20-chapter-long arc.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxy Barnard View Post
    I might be being an idiot, but there's something about this where I'm like... The kid's probably the real akuma and the MC is protecting her by making himself have such an obvious 'mouth' tattoo on his face.
    I felt the same too, since chapter 1. And I think is probably something related with her crying, which he always trying to prevent.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why some of you see the priest and Godot as the same guy. Town people know both of their faces so I would assume that they are 2 different persons. Maybe I'm a fool but I don't expect a twist so early in the manga.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    I'm not sure why some of you see the priest and Godot as the same guy. Town people know both of their faces so I would assume that they are 2 different persons. Maybe I'm a fool but I don't expect a twist so early in the manga.
    It can happen if this is just an intro though, a twist intro, nothing to effect later events. Many parts of the story have a lot of potential, the kid, the monster we saw, other towns that have someone like Godot as a threat. I can imagine that type of chivalric start for the story actually.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast