Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: War of Operating Systems

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: War of Operating Systems

In terms of handheld devices, I have used Android, Windows, iOS and Linux (in Motorola sets). My choice is Android without any hesitation. iPhone never impressed me. Its the operating system I am not too fond of.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with thorny. Plus, I love the Android's ability to customize. Before I updated to fucking Jellybean, Flikie allowed me to let it automatically change wallpapers (I have about 200, at least). I don't get the hubbub over iPhone or iOS anymore, considering it has great competitors now. Ever since I've had SGS3, I've been immensely happy. It's fast for me, good battery (even better with the battery I bought), and I can use it with one hand fairly easily.

Of course, I'm not a fan of Apple... at all.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Well for the users that are used to the previous versoins of windows - it will take a bit of time to get used to. If it didn't grab you by a month - chances are it wont.
    I switched to W8 - havent used W7 since then.
    I installed Windows 8 once again. I sometimes play COD MW and MW2 online and so I had them installed too. When I was playing the games, it felt like the game was jerking. I used jerking because it wasnt the lag. I consulted Microsoft and the reply was hilarious. They said, Windows 8 isn't good at gaming. Especially, games like COD MW because its relatively old game. I pointed out to them about the problem I have for MW2 and one of the recent game, MW3. To this, they simply gave me an unsatisfactory reply. Anyway, doing a little research it seems Windows 8 isn't the best platform for games. What a disappointment....back to Windows 7.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    I installed Windows 8 once again. I sometimes play COD MW and MW2 online and so I had them installed too. When I was playing the games, it felt like the game was jerking. I used jerking because it wasnt the lag. I consulted Microsoft and the reply was hilarious. They said, Windows 8 isn't good at gaming. Especially, games like COD MW because its relatively old game. I pointed out to them about the problem I have for MW2 and one of the recent game, MW3. To this, they simply gave me an unsatisfactory reply. Anyway, doing a little research it seems Windows 8 isn't the best platform for games. What a disappointment....back to Windows 7.

I had to laugh at Microsoft's reply though. I suppose you can alway go the route of duel booting? Best of both worlds....

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Charlie. I know, right? I was like WTF is this reply. Anyway, I am back to Windows 7 and all the issues have magically disappeared. I have duel booted my system with previous versions. This time around, I think I am staying with Windows 7 and I am one of those people who try to stay with the technology and changes. In terms of interface or performance Windows 8 isn't much better. Plus, I was never a fan of the new startup style. So, staying with Windows 7 seems to be a better choice for me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

For me , golden rule: never install a whole new os. Wait for the first service packs ...
    More & more IT societies are using clients as guinea pigs. We are the real beta testers.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    For me , golden rule: never install a whole new os. Wait for the first service packs ...
    More & more IT societies are using clients as guinea pigs. We are the real beta testers.
    I actually remember this rule - .
    I've had less and less problems with the new Microsoft OS's from the olden days.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TStew's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Microsoft user since my first computer. I know its not popular but my favorite windows was Me. I didnt have all the problems that nearly everyone else did in the whole world with it but it was a pre-release edition not sure if it differed any from the final product. Anyhow I had that thing tweaked and hacked perfectly. Also liked 2000, but nothing really after that.

I messed with linux a bit here and there, setup a webserver for several years running CentOS. Never was very proficient with linux though and kind of forgot about it. Well when my last windows laptop died and I decided to build a new desktop I went back to linux... running Ubuntu 12.04 currently. Still learning things, but surprised just what I've been able to do all legitimately free.

Been over a year I've been microsoft free now.
    Last edited by TStew; January 01, 2014 at 01:16 AM.
    T~Stew

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Aruba
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used android, Microsoft and Linux only out of which i found android convenient for me.

Most Beautiful Male 2013 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Android OS, if there was a desktop version of the OS, I would gladly install it.

I have used Apple's iOS throughout my years in college and uni for graphic design and had gotten used to switching between that and Windows for everything else, but after I was done, I never really revisited the former operating system and don't really miss it. One of the reasons I believe I've stucked with Microsoft and plan to, instead of switching over to Apple is because of convenience and the fact that I'm used to it.

That reason applies to many of Windows users, I believe and I don't want to begin learning new tricks now while I still have no huge issues with my currents ones; so to speak . Maybe one day, but I'm happy now.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TStew View Post
    I've been a Microsoft user since my first computer. I know its not popular but my favorite windows was Me. I didnt have all the problems that nearly everyone else did in the whole world with it but it was a pre-release edition not sure if it differed any from the final product. Anyhow I had that thing tweaked and hacked perfectly. Also liked 2000, but nothing really after that.

I messed with linux a bit here and there, setup a webserver for several years running CentOS. Never was very proficient with linux though and kind of forgot about it. Well when my last windows laptop died and I decided to build a new desktop I went back to linux... running Ubuntu 12.04 currently. Still learning things, but surprised just what I've been able to do all legitimately free.

Been over a year I've been microsoft free now.
    That's awesome...I use dual boot, win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (cuz 13.XX sux)...ubuntu is super awesome for daily stuff like browsing the net, using documents, reading, etc...but it's such a pain when you are trying to play games, or try to use plug and play devices (that would usually work with windows)

I love Ubuntu, and I wouldn't go back to windows 8, even if paid...

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    That's awesome...I use dual boot, win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 (cuz 13.XX sux)...ubuntu is super awesome for daily stuff like browsing the net, using documents, reading, etc...but it's such a pain when you are trying to play games, or try to use plug and play devices (that would usually work with windows)

I love Ubuntu, and I wouldn't go back to windows 8, even if paid...
    I don't play much games anymore so thats not a prob, though there are a few. The device compatibility I thought would be a problem. a couple big stumbling blocks for me off the bat where no Netflix support or blu-ray but since I've been using it I've figured out how to get both working. Only thing that remains are phone and gps support. I'm in the market for a new phone soon, and have no idea if maybe some of the newer ones will work with linux. Also I have heard others got garmin to interface, but I havent really tried to figure that out yet (I have a handheld Oregon when I hike, and a Forerunner when I am running I like to collect and record the data from).

Even though the software is much more limited in Linux, I've found its had most of what I need for usual stuff, and the free stuff works a lot better than the free stuff for windows which is usually full of adware/spyware too. I've not had to run any virus protection or firewall whatsoever and visit any site so far without any worries. I like how to get any software I've needed I just click the button in their software center and it downloads and installs it all with no hassle. It just works. I do a lot of media stuff, I can rip anything including blurays, record streamin music and video from youtube or anywhere, picture editing even RAW editing from my dSLR, graphics stuff with the gimp (made my sig pic in linux), etc.

I've heard many don't like the Unity interface, as its kind of window-esque or slow or something. I don't mind it at all but have debated trying some others that have been talked about like Cinnamon http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-cinnamon.html for example.
    Last edited by TStew; January 12, 2014 at 07:18 PM.
    T~Stew

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TStew View Post
    Even though the software is much more limited in Linux, I've found its had most of what I need for usual stuff, and the free stuff works a lot better than the free stuff for windows which is usually full of adware/spyware too. I've not had to run any virus protection or firewall whatsoever and visit any site so far without any worries. I like how to get any software I've needed I just click the button in their software center and it downloads and installs it all with no hassle. It just works. I do a lot of media stuff, I can rip anything including blurays, record streamin music and video from youtube or anywhere, picture editing even RAW editing from my dSLR, graphics stuff with the gimp (made my sig pic in linux), etc.
    Yup...virus protection and basically and other program that in windows it starts on startup, just uses memory, memory that you could otherwise use for other applications...

I don't use the software center, instead I used apt-get to install my software from terminal...so much faster than anything I've experienced on Windows...
    But I don't use Linux for media...driver support is unfortunately better for Windows in this area, and so is the software...but I do use it as a developer, and PHP is just so much easier to use in Linux, and the IDEs are faster too...
    Quote Quote:
    I've heard many don't like the Unity interface, as its kind of window-esque or slow or something. I don't mind it at all but have debated trying some others that have been talked about like Cinnamon http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-cinnamon.html for example.
    The problem with unity is that it's ugly and it's not customizable so that people can make it a bit more decent...I used it until I discovered Cinnamon, and I always hid the taskbar, because it was ugly

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh nice so your familiar with cinnamon... perhaps I'll get around to trying it sometime soon then. But I have no issues with unity and I wouldnt know an ugly taskbar from a pretty one lol

I'm not so great with linux command line, but I have done apt get a lot too. One thing I like the software center for is just seeing whats available... I mean all I do is click the icon and type something like 'raw' and in one second I have a several applications that are for raw image editing in a list with ratings and reviews and with a click or two I can peruse the various options. Apt get you already need to know what you want to get, which I, well, usually have no clue until I see whats available and try a few.

p.s. one current issue I unfortunately have though is the 'thanks' and 'like' arent working on my linux box. Any clues benelori?
    Last edited by TStew; January 13, 2014 at 11:44 PM.
    T~Stew

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows XP and Windows 7 are sugoi. iOS is decent.
    Vote for koen for favorite senpai so koen is active again!

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2