Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Manga writer looking for Manga Artist

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Manga writer looking for Manga Artist

My name is Ryan. Ive been writing for several years and won an award for first place at my school out of 1000 students that entered. I have quite a few short stories I would like to make into manga's. I also have a story specifically for a manga series that has been in the works for about seven years now rough draft after rough draft after rough draft I think im finally at the point that its about ready. Im also open to ideas. So if your interested reply to this or email me at chanslerryan@gmail.com with some of your work. Thanks

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga writer looking for Manga Artist

Dude, noone will help you unless you pay them or have hook-ups to magazines. If you are as good as you say, pay out like 50 dollars to have like 10 Semi-pro pages done. The people that do it for free will most likely give you sub-par work. I would do it for 50 bucks lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MangaDude View Post
    Dude, noone will help you unless you pay them or have hook-ups to magazines. If you are as good as you say, pay out like 50 dollars to have like 10 Semi-pro pages done. The people that do it for free will most likely give you sub-par work. I would do it for 50 bucks lol.
    Plenty of people are perfectly willing to work with a partner without paying. It doesn't have to be a matter of the artist working for the writer, it could be both of them working together on a story, where no one pays the other and they split any potential profits. There's lots of people doing that kind of thing all over the Internet, so it's no surprise he'd be looking for it. The quality of the work isn't really related to whether or not you pay the artist, IMO. That's besides the point that if Ryan's stories are as good as he claims, then there would be a lot of benefit for the artist in cooperating with him. It's far more advantageous to work on a really successful story with someone as unpaid equals compared to a really shitty story that you get $10 per page to do. People that work for "free" aren't doing it necessarily because they're less good than you, they're doing it because they see the advantage in working closely with a partner on a story they're passionate about.

For me, personally, I do both and I'm willing to work with people that have great stories, even if they don't pay me. After all, I don't pay them for the story, so why should they pay me for the art? I've drawn for other people who have stories I'm neutral about (they never evolved, so I never developed an opinion,) where they hired me as an artist and paid me. But I think a better story can come from equal cooperation, where neither side feels like they're being employed by the other.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

blade5468, I like the point you are making, but at the same time, look at how many requests for artists there are and look how little people are requesting authors. I personally think this is due to the amount of time it takes for aritsts to do one page. It takes me about 8-10 hours to complete one manga page. In the industry, that is what i see the most of. I work for Ultimate-Eclipse-Studios as a marketing manager. We are going to launch a manga magazine soon. We have contracted professional artists. The norm seems to be that unless you have a VERY in-depth story with concept sketches and extremely detailed character work, no professionals will work with you. All the pros I have on my team we had to pay even though we wrote the stories. Thats why I suggested that if rjc is as good as he says, he should find professionals that "pay their house bills" as an illustrator and do it the right way. Best of luck rjc!

New Reply