Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: The 9 Arts of The Dragon (speculation)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member brold's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The 9 Arts of The Dragon (speculation)

Hi, new here but long-longtime lurker.

There has been some speculation/partial list of the 9 different Arts of The Dragon in the chapter threads, but no actual dedicated thread.

We will probably never going to get an official list until the end of the Breaker trilogy.

These are what I believe to be the list of the 9 Arts:

1 . Fire/Breath - Ki/Qi projection.
    <+ On the rooftop of KOA building in Part 1, one of the Munju's was gathering energy for a Qigong strike.>
    <+ Sosul burning 'Black' of the 'Council of Sages'.>

2 . Fist - punches.
    <+ 'Soul-Crushing Strike' by Goomoonryong and Yi Shioon.>
    <+ 'Thunder Smashing Strike' by Elder Kwon of the Sunwoo Clan.>

3 . Claw - cutting.
    <+ 'Strong Metal Hand' by the Song School.>
    <+ Goomoonryong cutting the head off one of the Munjus on the rooftop of KOA building, and slicing open Shiho's shirt open. >

4 . Scales/Armor/Armour - the naked skin being invulnerable.
    <+ 'Iron Body Technique' by the Iron Fist School.>
    <+ 'Full Body Barrier' by Goomoonryong inside the KOA building, deflecting hits from sai-swords and others.>

5 . Wing - jumping/flying and safely landing.
    <+ Goomoonryong jumping off the rooftops of buildings just to reach Yi Shioon who was fighting Hyuk Sochun at the time.>
    <+ Elder Kwon of the Sunwoo Clan, jumping from a road across a mountain to another road beyond.>

6 . Leg - Kicking
    <+ 'Split Heaven Kick' by Kang-Sung.>
    <+ 'Wind Swalow Kick' by Elder Kwon of the Sunwoo Clan.>

7 . Feet - running/movement via feet
    <+ Various foot techniques.>

8 . Step - punches by the feet, instead of fists.
    <+ 'Focus Stomp' by Kang-Sung.>
    <+ 'Seismic Step' by Goomoonryong and Yi Shioon.>

9 . Shadow - stealth/disguise/hiding
    <+ Disguises by Shiho, and Thousand-faces Haru of the S.U.C.>

Another thread has a list of the actual techniques.

I will be updating this until we get an official list/confirmation.

If anybody wants to add/replace/update any wording/formatting, just say so and I'll update this post.
    Last edited by brold; November 26, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
    I might know the difference...maybe.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 9 Arts of The Dragon (speculation)

Dragon Ki
    Dragon Step
    Dragon Stealth
    You'll find them listed on ch57.

Then there are two or three other seats that GMR was mentioned to have "stolen" from another school.

Dragon Staff Strike aka Bong-Ji-Ryong (Dragon Becoming Staff)
    Dragon Claw Punch aka Kwonjiryong (Dragon Becoming Fist)
    Kwonjiryong also happens to be what Lone Wolf called this guy.

Not sure if this is another art or the same as the one mentioned above, but....
    Dragon Step aka Gakjiryong (Dragon Becoming Leg)
    Dragon Step in the first link it is called Dabjiryong

I had originally compiled this list in another post here.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

this is also my speculation but i read that the number nine is significant and auspicious in Korea, and dragons were said to have 81 (9×9) scales on their backs, representing yang essence. if the author is putting some ideas of a dragon in Breaker maybe the Dragon Seats are more like this

9 Arts Dragon (GMR) like the one they fight on a Murim tournament has also branches like Dragon Step is the name of a specialty and that specialty have more techs like this

Dragon Step - lets say the Dragon Step Seat has 9 Step Techs on the scroll or a book
    Dragon Ki - Has also 9 techs in the scroll or a book
    and so on and so forth that it will equal to 81 (9x9) in dragon scales

and also the 5 toed/Clawed Dragon represents the highest position in the dragon world

Korean Ver.

Very occasionally a dragon may be depicted as carrying a dragon orb known as the Yeouiju (여의주) in one or more of its claws or in its mouth. Modeled after the mythical Cintamani jewel or pearl, it was said that whoever could wield the Yeouiju was blessed with the abilities of omnipotence and creation at will, and that only four-toed dragons (who had thumbs with which to hold the orbs) were both wise and powerful enough to wield these orbs, as opposed to the lesser, three-toed dragons.

Chinese Ver.

Historically, the dragon was the symbol of the Emperor of China. In the Zhou Dynasty, the 5-clawed dragon was assigned to the Son of Heaven, the 4-clawed dragon to the nobles (zhuhou, seigneur), and the 3-clawed dragon to the ministers (daifu).

so if you put all those legends and mythologies together is more like this

Dragons are for higher class human being in the murim world 4 toed=2 feet and 2 hands dragons is the highest power and also "Humans" has 5 fingers that means only Dragon(Human) (that's why there is a tournament called Shinmujengpe to become a dragon)can acquire the Dragon Arts and that dragon Arts has 9 Arts each = 81 (remember what the former MMA said about Kang-sung not being greedy that means there are more techs in each Seat)
    Last edited by kidopitz27; February 07, 2014 at 09:57 PM.

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Ketsurou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Others have already commented on what a few of the actual Nine Arts are, but I would like to offer my opinion as an elaboration, and offer at least one correction from the list given in the original post.

The Nine Arts are probably not merely techniques, but legendary and sacred techniques in Murim that represent the pinnacle of their type. In other words, arts like Dragon Staff Strike is the strongest staff strike in Murim, Dragon Step is the strongest Step in Murim, and so on. Even if it is not a matter of strength, there is obviously some sort of mythos in Murim that give these nine arts a sacred position.

As such, there are "seats" in the society of Murim reserved for the people who master them, to be the master of the art and preserve it for future generations. There are of course nine seats, to be held by nine people ordinarily. Most people can spend their entire life training every day and not fully master even one of the dragon arts, which makes the genius of people like Kang Sung (Three Arts Dragon) and Chun Woo (Nine Arts Dragon) that much more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by brold View Post
    5 . Wing - jumping/flying and safely landing.
    <+ Goomoonryong jumping off the rooftops of buildings just to reach Yi Shioon who was fighting Hyuk Sochun at the time.>
    <+ Elder Kwon of the Sunwoo Clan, jumping from a road across a mountain to another road beyond.>
    There is no technique called "wing."

What you are referring to is what Chun Woo did here, in Chapter 5, page 18 of the first part of The Breaker (yes, he jumped over a building with a single leap--superman much?):
    Spoiler show

And what Shioon did here in Chapter 23, page 15:
    Spoiler show

As Sosul herself said, this is Kyung Gong, also known as Qing Gong in Chinese. It means "Lightness Skill," and is a martial arts skill achieved by training to completely control the center of balance of the body (which, amusingly enough, is in the same location as the ki center) and the distribution of body weight and energy. In other words, it is a skill that emphasizes completely efficient movement, much like Parkour. In fiction like The Breaker and movies like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, however, it is of course exageratted for entertainment purposes. Exageration or not, though, it does have a name.

The reason I am offering this correction is because there is no way that this can be considered one of the nine dragon arts. Kyung Gong is an extremely well known and rather basic skill in Murim, and most Murim-in that have appeared so far have demonstrated it to some extent or another. Along this line of thought, when compiling a list of possible candidates for one of the Nine Arts you must consider that the Nine Arts are special, extremely high level, very sacred skills, and not ordinary punches or kicks or something that most Murim-in know about (like Kyung Gong).

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member brold's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@4ghost, @kidopitz27, @Ketsurou Thank you for your responses.

It might be that all weapons usage fall into the 'Claw' seat, but what the actual name for it, is still unknown. JiGun (CurlyHairedBoy) is said to be a master of the sword arts, who uses a sword (a hand held weapon), and the top/elite techs for his sword technique is the use of the smallest sword, which is just his finger (we know he faked this, but this was SunWoo's SuperNova GyuBum's explanation). And the finger/fingers equates to 'claw'.

9 seats with 9 'matches/fights' per each art, is a good insight for the fights in Shinmujengpe. Hopefully after Book 3, the author might make another book as a prequel.

'Wing' is a temporary word placeholder for the actual Art/Seat. It could be 'Flight', or 'Lightness', or anything. 'Wing' was used as this is known to be a body part of a dragon in both western and eastern versions. (The 9th, 'Shadow' is not a body part, is just pure speculation on my part. But dragons are huge, the eastern version is even larger/longer than the western version. And both versions are sure to have left large 'shadows'.)
    I might know the difference...maybe.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

There is one thing I dont understand. 9ad is called Nine Arts Dragon because he mastered all 9 seats. So how come Kang Sung is called Three Arts Dragon. This should be only possible if there are 12 seats to obtain, since one seat can only be obtained by one person. Or am I missing something? I always thought you "get" the seat if you beat the one who "has" it at that time.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshida View Post
    There is one thing I dont understand. 9ad is called Nine Arts Dragon because he mastered all 9 seats. So how come Kang Sung is called Three Arts Dragon. This should be only possible if there are 12 seats to obtain, since one seat can only be obtained by one person. Or am I missing something? I always thought you "get" the seat if you beat the one who "has" it at that time.
    there is a martial arts tournament in the murim and there are nine(9) school that represents a dragon seat is equals to one(1) art dragon but in that martial Chun Woo Han defeated those nine(9) schools with a dragon seat earning him the title NINE ARTS DRAGON which is impossible and not attainable at that time

Kang-Sung on the other hand only defeated Three(3) seats of dragons thus earning him the title Three Arts Dragon

also i think Chun Woo Han attained Nine Arts Dragon after Kang-Sung attained Three Arts Dragon
    for example:
    Kang-Sung attained the title in the year 2010
    Chun Woo Han attained the title in the year 2012
    those 2 on the top are just examples

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Lasaro Ginjou's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Known and speculated Dragon Seats:
    1. Dragon Becoming Fist (or Seat of the Dragon Fist, Gwon-Ji-Ryong)
    2. Dragon Becoming Leg (or Seat of the Dragon Leg, Gak-Ji-Ryong)
    3. Dragon Becoming Staff (or Seat of the Dragon Staff, Bong-Ji-Ryong)
    4. Dragon Becoming Step (or Seat of the Dragon Step, Dab-Ji-Ryong)
    5. Dragon Becoming Ki (or Seat of the Dragon Ki, Ki-Ji-Ryong)
    6. Dragon Becoming Stealth (or Seat of the Dragon Stealth, Tu-Ji-Ryong)
    7. Speculation: Dragon Becoming Blade (or Seat of the Dragon Blade)
    8. Speculation: Dragon Becoming Shield (or Seat of the Dragon Shield)
    9. Don't know.

Known and speculated Dragon Techniques:
    1. Dragon Claw Punch technique of the Iron Fist School. Chapter 49 (The Breaker)
    2. Rising Sage Leg technique of the Te-Ul School. Chapter 51 (The Breaker)
    3. Dragon Staff Strike technique of the Hogi Clan.Chapter 51 (The Breaker)
    4. Speculation: Focus Stomp (or Seismic Step). It was stated that only Kang Sung and Chun-Woo can perform it at the highest level. I thing it belongs to the Song Clan.
    5. Speculation: Gale Wind Destruction Strike. Black Heaven and Earth School should be one of the one of the participating schools. This is stated to be the strongest Ki strike.
    6. Don't know.
    7. Speculation: Finger Sword. Belongs to Strong Dragon School. It is the sword-less style. The finger is used as a weapon.
    8. Speculation: Full Body Barrier. The best defensive and simultaneously offensive technique.
    9. Don't know.

What makes it hard to say is that each Martial Arts School or Clan should only have one technique. So most likely we haven't seen all 9 techniques yet.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think Gale Destruction Strike is part of the Seats because Black Origin School was already disbanded long before Chun Woo Han met Unwol i think that Gale Destruction Strike is the ultimate Ki attack of Black Origin School

the Focus Stomp is a likely candidate for a seat because there are only 3 Murim-ins that can use it and 2 of them are both holds 9 seat and 3 seat

Finger sword is highly unlikely to be a seat because as Asian Kimbo Slice said Sword-less state is the final level of the sword states that means that it's the Strong Dragon School's highest form just like the Song's Clan level 10 Strong Metal Hands

Full Body Barrier is maybe a seat because only 2 of them was shown using it Chun Woo Han and Kang Sung

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Wowzers's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I always wanted Shioon to participate in the next Shinmujengpe, but I don't think the leader of the MAA would be allowed to participate... after all, the leader is already considered to be the strongest in the alliance. It would be a little unfair to the other contestants.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidopitz27 View Post
    i don't think Gale Destruction Strike is part of the Seats because Black Origin School was already disbanded long before Chun Woo Han met Unwol i think that Gale Destruction Strike is the ultimate Ki attack of Black Origin School

the Focus Stomp is a likely candidate for a seat because there are only 3 Murim-ins that can use it and 2 of them are both holds 9 seat and 3 seat

Finger sword is highly unlikely to be a seat because as Asian Kimbo Slice said Sword-less state is the final level of the sword states that means that it's the Strong Dragon School's highest form just like the Song's Clan level 10 Strong Metal Hands

Full Body Barrier is maybe a seat because only 2 of them was shown using it Chun Woo Han and Kang Sung
    You are right about the Gale Wind Destruction Strike. I forgot that the Black Heaven and Earth School (that is how it is called) was disbanded.

The finger sword is indeed a style and not a technique. But a technique of this style could be the technique of the seat I mentioned. As the name suggests (Dragon becoming Blade) and similar to the rest of the techniques where the body becomes the technique, it is possible that the body itself becomes a blade. So the strongest thechnique of the Sword-less style could be the technique.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

yes there is a % of Sword-less state techs can be a seat we saw one of the sword-less state tech already Thousand Flower Strike by Smiling Blade but for me the sword-less state tech is somewhat sophisticated and refined while the other Dragon Seats skills are more destructive that one hit can cut you in half

if body becoming blade seat i can see it more destructive like Phoenix Lashing Whip while Thousand Flower Strike is somewhat clean attacks if a real dragon attacks it has to be destructive in form

now that i think about it Song Clan specialize Strong Metal Hands and Tai-Chi Arts and if you notice Tai-Chi arts are just to repel attacks and Strong Metal Hands are just arm attacks but they don't use legs

1. Focus Stomp is 100% a Seat Glasses Guy already confirmed it saying (Focus Stomp that's one of GMR techs) as far as we know BH&ET are all Ki based attack
    2. Split Heaven Kick could be a Seat and the one holding that Seat is the Song Clan and the name came from a member of the Song Clan (the guy that shot GMR)
    3. One and All Reverting Strike (ch.144) could be a seat too Dragon Becoming KI someone said that form is not from Tai-Chi style that means it's not from Song Clan

Dragon Becoming Stealth is maybe the ultimate form of stealth like you are invisible maybe Shioon is already practicing doing it and only Elder Kwon noticed it

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

All Sword styles are meant to cut, and Dragon Becoming Blade would be a seat that has a technique related to cutting. The thousand flower strike is not a sword-style attack. But a pressure point attack. It belongs to an art the Smiling Blade was proficient at. The Jumhyul art which is about pressure points. Also, we have yet to see the sword-less style in action, the strongest techniques and all.

The Focus Stomp was stated to be one of GMR techniques as you said. However, in the series GMR (a.k.a. GooMoonRyong) is the man who holds the title, not a reference to the dragon seats. They just say that Focus Stomp is one of that guy's techniques. I do believe that it is one of the dragon seats but we have no confirmation so far.

The Split Heaven Kick is hard to have a seat because the two seats about the feet, dragon leg and dragon step, already have a technique. The Rising Sage Leg (stated) and the Focus Stomp (speculated) respectively.

By One and All Reverting Strike, if you mean the All Counter Origins Strike, then I don't think it is one of the Dragon Seats. How can they compete with a technique that even the preparation can kill them? Everyone would die after using it so none alive would have the title of this seat. So this technique wouldn't be in the Nine Arts at all.

The stealth must be a specific technique. Hiding their Ki is a skill of all Martial Artists. The higher the level the better the skill. Elder Kwon told him that he can hide his Ki pretty well. Which meant that his skill has improved. No technique mentioned. What I was thinking about the Dragon Stealth is a technique that makes someone hide b affecting what they see, in other words their mind. Just like the Hwan Step makes others see many clones of the user, in the same way, make someone invisible or seem like someone else as he/she moves around.

New Reply