Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does Oda work too much?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Oda work too much?

According to a recent interview which can be found below. Oda only sleeps three hours a day on a regular basis. He works form 5 am to 2 am. I want to know your thoughts. Does he work too hard too little or are we going to still find people who complain despite how hard he works? No normal human being could do this. He's truly dedicated to his work. What do you think?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=525056

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Oda work too much?

Considering the breaks he has done in the last months, yes I'd say he's working too much.
    In fact as far as I remember it is the first time that in only one arc he has done so many breaks.
    But I know that he's working so hard because he's very dedicated to his job.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rody naruto's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Only a man that is passionate about is work can do such things and he amazingly expresses it into the series by the depth of the story,how heach caracter is being developed and how amazing and amusing it is to One piece in heach chapter.That is the reason why i am never mad at him whenever he takes a break because i can only imagine how demanding it can be to deal with the stress and to stay creative at the same time.
    Still i hope he could work a little less so he can stay healthy.We certainly don't want One piece to end up like The grayman which sucks for both the manga and the mangaka.It is sad because The grayman was such a good manga.
    Anyway i which for him to stay healthy and creative as always
    "Fear is only an idea success is an awareness"
    Check out my DeviantART

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't sleep 3 hours all the nights, just some of them. The interview comes in the One Piece current newspaper of these days. For further information about it consult here and in the link in that post.

Now, I think he works a lot. Btw, next chapter (691) will have 3 color spreads, which in terms of drawing work is a lot.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Thinking about work and money, I found this realistic pic of him, in AP thread:

Spoiler show

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I brought this up because I heard a lot of people saying in recent times Oda isn't working hard enough too many breaks or they dislike the pace. Not saying he's a master of story telling but for him to be so on top of his own manga that he plans the story ahead and works on it almost everyday of the year whether it's plot drawing or future arcs the web together into the story it is. I personally couldn't see myself doing so much I need my sleep. It's a little inhumane. At least to me.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member junjun2's Avatar
    Country
    Earth Kindom
    Post Thanks / Like

He also says he doesn't have any holiday, and if he could, he want to go family trip no matter where outside, he can't even go outside. lol
    Maybe only 3 hours sleep is unusual lifestyle even for him. He has been very busy this year because of the film Z and the 15th anniversary, and yet he didn't take more breaks on the regular manga than usual.
    I'm really worried about his health. He is heavy smoker and a bit too fat(for japanese)

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it's like that all the time.

And drawing also means that you need some time to find inspiration, which sometimes can be very relaxing.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I doubt it's like that all the time.

And drawing also means that you need some time to find inspiration, which sometimes can be very relaxing.
    But not if you're actually working as someone who's profession is to draw all the time.

I knew he was a workaholic but that interview actually makes me rather concerned that he's overworking. He really should do something what's really refreshing. As he said: Go out somewhere with his family. Readers can bare another two or three weeks break.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Weekly manga is notoriously demanding. Oda's schedule is not all that usually, or surprising. There's a reason Togashi only draws 20 - 30 chapters of HxH a year, he wants a normal life with his family.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member S-H-I-G-U-R-E's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

And that's why Tite Kubo doesn't draw backgrounds

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Country
    Mauritius
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Weekly manga is notoriously demanding. Oda's schedule is not all that usually, or surprising. There's a reason Togashi only draws 20 - 30 chapters of HxH a year, he wants a normal life with his family.
    Yeah, but what also backs him up is that his wife actually earns pretty much from Sailor Moon manga fees, too. Has Oda's wife been acting much lately?

Quote Originally Posted by S-H-I-G-U-R-E View Post
    YMMD! But IIRC he's got the most color pages last year, didn't he?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S-H-I-G-U-R-E View Post
    That's because of his own style, as he said it that Bleach is all about " characters " primarly, not plot, hence even in his drawings, he tries to bring the focus towards the characters, not the backgrounds, while Oda does it both actually, it's not about laziness, while Kishi messes them both (when it comes to cool poses, superb drawings, Kubo is at the top, when it comes to cool poses/drawings + detail in the background, Oda is at the top, while Kishi *cough*cough*)

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I always imagined mangaka as hermits, really. Miura is considered one, the author of Berserk and he releases like a few chapters every few months. With Oda I do not doubt he is overworked. The amount of details he puts in is astounding. Once in a while a chapter will not be that artistically complex. But the basis of the manga is lost without such trivialities. So yeah, Oda is more of a hermit of a mangaka than anyone.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well i would never be one to say whether someone works too often or not, look at many professional sports coaches, they sleep very little, but have tons of responsibility and make good money, and if they want to keep the edge on the competition they have to put their lives and body through hell

i know that with the pressure from magazines serialzations and TV, oda and other mangakas are probably working way more than a normal person should. i will say this about oda in particular, from what i can tell from the relationship between the onepiece anime and manga, is that the filler seems less frequent and not as randomly inserted as it occurs in other big name mangas, and i dont see many 20+ long episode filler arcs , which tells me he is staying ahead with the manga as much as he can

which i appreciate very very much as a fan

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rody naruto View Post
    Only a man that is passionate about is work can do such things and he amazingly expresses it into the series by the depth of the story,how heach caracter is being developed and how amazing and amusing it is to One piece in heach chapter.That is the reason why i am never mad at him whenever he takes a break because i can only imagine how demanding it can be to deal with the stress and to stay creative at the same time.
    Still i hope he could work a little less so he can stay healthy.We certainly don't want One piece to end up like The grayman which sucks for both the manga and the mangaka.It is sad because The grayman was such a good manga.
    Anyway i which for him to stay healthy and creative as always
    For your information d gray man is still a great manga despite the bullshit criticisms it gets for the fact that its monthly and people aren't dedicated/patient enough to pay proper attention to the story so they go around parading and bitching with their baseless claims that its gone downhill without providing any substancial evidence as to why other than probably some bullshit reason like: it doesn't have as much comedy or stupid fights and cliche power upgrades as other popular shonen anymore. Well boohooo

I'm a fan of both d gray man and hunter x hunter, and I can tell you that missing one weeks worth of a chapter is not going to friggin kill you. If you really look at the amount of content and detail the man packs into one chapter EVERY WEEK, how can you really find the gall to complain. Personally i'm not as crazy about content packed mangas like this but (only cause I'm most perceptive with mostly images and symbolism) honestly no matter who you are, you can't really deny the man's work ethic. But hey, if one piece fans can complain about a weeks loss of a chapter all you want, I'd give this dude a vacation if he really needed one.
    Last edited by Uriel; December 05, 2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Soften it a little.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast