Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Shokugeki no Souma Hangout Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shokugeki no Souma Hangout Thread

Don't forget you can adapt most of time. Google "replace <unknown ingredient>" and that will help you. It won't be the exact recipe but better than nothing.
    Soya sauce and mirin should be easy to find though.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

More sketches from Twitter!
    The last one is awesome.
    I think it is something from volume 5, maybe extras?
    Spoiler show

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Hey guys! Another year is ending and now is the time to make a Yearbook, a tradition in our forum.
    We'd like to make it with all the community, Admins, Global Mods, Manga Helpers and, mainly, the members.
    Therefore, that is the moment to submit your message or any contribution that you would like to give to the Yearbook.
    How was your year here? What do you think about the forum? You can express anything in this message/contribution. (You can mention Shokugeki there, why not? XD) I'm waiting the participation of everyone! To submit your message, go to this thread.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

So, the page with more details about the novel was uploaded at Soma's twitter (check spoiler) and it has some interesting details
    Spoiler show

-It mentions that one of the chapters will be about Shinomiya Kojirou
    -It also mentions that there's a possibility of the Megumi Youkai to be turned into small plush toys (I'll die if this happens, I need a yukinko Megumi nauuuu XDDD)

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

One chapter about Shinomiya Kojirou is good, can bring something interesting, but the plush toys news is magnificent.
    I tried to choice between them, but I couldn't. I need of the three of them. XD

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I read the manga because it got a section on mangahelpers. It s good but also deja vu. Yakitate japan already did it. And among newcomers, hell s kitchen is more original.

So, all in all, it s solid with good characters but not top tier for me
    Really I was bored with Hell's Kitchen quite rapidly. And Yakitate over-reactions ruined the manga for me.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't read Yakitate Japan, but a friend of mine said that the ending is really bad and hopes that Shokugeki doesn't turn this way as well. What is hell's kitchen? Someone could give me a short description?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Hell s kitchen is about a seemingly talentless guy who is haunted by a devil cook. It s basically hikaru no go meets yakitate japan.

About snsouma, aside from the yakitate japan ripofff, there are also simularities with prince of tennis. The father son story is the same and i mean exactly the same. In pot, the father is a prodigy who reached second place and quit the spotlight. Noone never knows where he is and the only thing we know about his recent story is that he raised his kid with the mother being absent
    Last edited by zelllogan; December 30, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

This remind me of another thread...
    There is no point in saying a manga is a ripoff of another one. Especially in shounen. I'm pretty sure Yakitake didn't invent the food reactions.

In Hell's Kitchen the boy has no talent in cooking and a devil trains him in order to eat him when he will be talented. His speciality is to make great dishes with leftovers. From time to time he take the personality of the hero who then becomes a cook genius. The art is not bad but it is very exagerated in almost every aspect. So if you don't mind that kind of thing you may like it.
    Yakitate first volumes are quite nice. It is an enjoyable read until it becomes just a stupid battle manga.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The first one might be addicted to curry and one year later there was yakitate japan. You might not like yakitate japan but it received manga of the year awards. Snsouma is not yet playing in the same league. And be honest snsouma doesn t bring anything new to the mangaverse. It s just too similar to existing work. It s well done and entertaining enough even if i find the princess to be a missed character. But i really doubt it will one day reach the impact of his predecessors

About food manga, nobunaga no chef is also an interesting one. With a very interesting setup.
    Last edited by zelllogan; December 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It won an award in 2003, one year after it started.
    And again they are very few works that bring something new. Nobunaga does not either.
    It doesn't change that they are still good read. Souma is more popular because it is in jump and has cute drawing.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    It won an award in 2003, one year after it started.
    And again they are very few works that bring something new. Nobunaga does not either.
    It doesn't change that they are still good read. Souma is more popular because it is in jump and has cute drawing.
    Nobunaga is mixing history with food & adding to it the fact that the guy cooking is someone from the present who is somehow now living in the past. And you're telling me it isn't bringing something new ? The guy is using his modern cooking skills to adapt to shogun era. It's new in my book ...

Just admit that Souma is the least original food manga. It's good but just admit it ...
    It's not that much of a default but not admitting it's ripping off existing stuff is blinding yourself.
    Last edited by zelllogan; December 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone is saying that Shokugeki is a revolutionary series. Normally, I don't mind with what is new or what was made before in a series, because, to begin with, it is almost impossible to make something totally new currently. I think that those comparison are just annoying.
    Shokugeki no Soma is very well conducted, has a very good drawing, one of the best in Jump, and characters, it is enough for me to enjoy the series.

Shokugeki no Soma was not made to compete with other series of cooking, even less with series of other magazines.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    Nobunaga is mixing history with food & adding to it the fact that the guy cooking is someone from the present who is somehow now living in the past. And you're telling me it isn't bringing something new ? The guy is using his modern cooking skills to adapt to shogun era. It's new in my book ...
    It's a rip off of Jin if I go by your terms and god knows how many other time skip mangas.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically i agree with this review http://www.allmangareviews.com/shoku...cchi-and-food/

At least snsouma already has a very protective fanbase. And i stop there

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well a good villain is not something that easy to create. Especially in early stage where they have to be quite easy to beat. Look at the other jump success Assassination Classroom. Beside the principal it's pretty much empty. And God One Piece, before Arlong they are quite pathetic.
    We'll see if the elite 10 members provide better challengers.
    Still there are some characters I find interesting like Alice or Satochi (nude guy). But what I enjoy the most is the subtil clever humor of the author.

New Reply
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast