Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25

Thread: Shokugeki no Souma Hangout Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Eru13's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shokugeki no Souma Hangout Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I looked for Iron Chef and it's a reality show. lol
    I will not comment this comparison.

I'm trying to predict how readers from a Shonen magazine is going to perceive this inclusion. I would find boring.
    If the authors wanted to put the entire cooking process, they could, but it is not appropriate to shounen mangas.

Hikaru no Go was a "Go manga" and it almost never showed the matches thoroughly. REAL is another example, it is, essentially, a basketball manga, but Inoue rarely focus in this part. What I'm trying to say is that not always a manga that is said as "[put theme here] manga" focus in this theme completely, it is just the background of everything.
    But then again, the purpose of an anime is to reach an audience a Shounen Manga Magazine can't reach by itself so it has to be appealing to a broader audience in which case the comparison with Iron Chef stands. And for one I think the inclusion would be rather good, that's something you can do on an anime you can't do on a manga, if the anime can't further improve the manga there's no real meaning to it.

Also, as you said, with cooking being the background, if the cooking part isn't solid the whole thing will crumble apart so it has to be well done for the manga/anime to show it's whole potential.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I looked for Iron Chef and it's a reality show. lol
    I will not comment this comparison.

I'm trying to predict how readers from a Shonen magazine is going to perceive this inclusion. I would find boring.
    If the authors wanted to put the entire cooking process, they could, but it is not appropriate to shounen mangas.

Hikaru no Go was a "Go manga" and it almost never showed the matches thoroughly. REAL is another example, it is, essentially, a basketball manga, but Inoue rarely focus in this part. What I'm trying to say is that not always a manga that is said as "[put theme here] manga" focus in this theme completely, it is just the background of everything.
    That's ridiculous, the premises are exactly the same thing, how can you not compare them or fail to note how successful it was when you looked it up?

That's also ridiculous because its made obvious the series is about cooking, if the readers were to get bored reading about the actual cooking then why the heck are they bothering with this series in the first place? Once again, was Iron Chef boring and made people lose interest despite being 40 minutes of nothing but pure cooking or are those ratings/notes on its popularity saying otherwise? It basically popularized cooking shows for the general public going back to when I was a little kid and now I can't turn on any channel about food without cooking competition shows dominating their airwaves when back then they were just the standard boring lectures about food. If you're thinking about cooking in those terms then you're looking at it from the wrong angle, like if somebody tried to teach you the rules about football compared to watching the game live and in action, it's a totally different presentation and obviously the latter draws more interest, the premise of competition and battle always adds another layer of excitement and serves to make educating people about the premise much easier because it makes them want to know in order to understand how they can be won or lost, who wants to watch games/competitions where they don't understand anything in that case? I knew nothing about the rules of basketball or american football in my first games but I paid attention to the premises, tried to understand the objectives and the rules that I saw, because that heat of competition and the clash of wills enthralled me just the same as when I watch cooking competition shows and I wanted to know how it worked and how to appreciate them.

Hikaru no Go was far from incomplete in its presentation of Go matches either and its anime showed extended footage of the matches/process compared to the manga. I'm sure the same applies to your basketball series even if I haven't watched/read it if you did try to compare the two versions. Nobodies saying spend 5 or 8 hours going over every detail but an extended version of what we have seen in the manga highlighting all the great/critical points of the processes should be expected just like in an actual cooking competition like Iron Chef which did edit out the process a bit but mostly once again because of time but there was nothing boring about the cooking itself when they did it. Saying it's just background is like saying the sport they're playing doesn't matter, that Go didn't matter, that basketball didn't matter, and in this case that cooking doesn't matter. And you haven't even refuted my practicality argument, the one every anime studio has to take into consideration when doing an adaptation from a manga because the length of material available in a manga compared to what's needed for an anime demands it, otherwise you run through the material too quickly and end up once again in some awkward ending/placement mid way rather then the appropriate climax point if you just limit yourself to exactly the amount of source material the manga provides, it's a question of reconciling two different media outlets. Trust when I say this as a print writer who also took courses in trying to translate that for television reporting, editing is a constant companion for that transition, and it applies to everything that does make that transition whether it be to add or cut because you have airwaves to fill and fill them you must.
    Last edited by KrimzonStriker; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Reality shows are made for that purpose, Shokugeki no Soma isn't. Shokugeki no Soma is not incomplete at all without the process of the cooking, it even lets the series much more appealing to its public. If they do this, they will only reach a small niche composed by people who is interested in cooking, for the rest of the people, it will be just boring, people don't watch anime to learn how to cook after all.

That's my point of view, you don't need to agree with me. We will see who is right when the anime debut.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What purpose/difference are you talking about? Being informative over entertaining? Please enlighten me why neither one can be both then? Iron Chef's ratings certainly said otherwise about the entertainment and captive audience part as do the recipes inside each volume of Souma regarding the informative aspect. The rapid fire narration of Iron Chef and its edits of critical and dynamic cooking points during the process, same as Souma which hasn't affected its popularity with readers so what logical difference are actually trying to point to? That's what they said about Iron Chef and it did the exact opposite, it reached out and spread the interest of cooking in ways not previously imagined. You think My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic became as big as it has by catering to a target audience of little girls? No of course it didn't, it garnered the interest of a wide variety of age and social groups by presenting its subject matter in a new and informative way, without taking away its essence of moral lessons and Shokugeki easily has the capacity to do the same thing like both MLP and Iron Chef before it. I was 8 years old and didn't care one bit about cooking until Iron Chef, and Shokugeki will have the advantage of great animation reaction scenes and comedic cartoon humor/character development to boot, so what exactly could anyone find boring about that combination and why is the cooking, the heart of soul and purpose of the series somehow a detriment?

That's not a point of view when I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing (especially given the point you keep avoiding), I'm stating a fact about the animation process and what it takes to adapt print media towards television, there's no disputing or disproving that or having a different opinion about it, it's part of the process regardless of anyone's feelings, extensions of certain scenes like the cooking process have to be done in order to ensure they put out a complete episode, not half an episode only 15 minutes long instead of the 25 minutes they actually paid for, you'd lose money that way or get sued for violating your tv contract and go out of business, its simply math and economics.
    Last edited by KrimzonStriker; Yesterday at 11:52 PM.

New Reply
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25