Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solve the Mystery!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member wizzard's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solve the Mystery!

I think the butler took them. 'Cause they were in the box an hour ago so unless it's a scene from a movie with dead man walking it has to be him, 'cause the daughter is somewhere out and they 'probably won't see her until the funeral' .

If I were to search for the coins the gazebo would be the first place I check.

Though that portrait is also suspicious ^^

My thread. | MAL:myanimelist | mymangalist |
    Quote Originally Posted by Krina29 View Post
    +I like talking to you

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdowns View Post
    it is hidden inside the coffin with him...
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    I think the butler took them. 'Cause they were in the box an hour ago so unless it's a scene from a movie with dead man walking it has to be him, 'cause the daughter is somewhere out and they 'probably won't see her until the funeral' .
    You both have pieces of the puzzle.

You are right, wizzard. It was Harvey. And you are right, kdowns. The coins were hidden inside the coffin.

Here’s the answer:

Downstairs in the parlor, Nina explained. "Why would Mr. Baxter have even told Dad about the dimes if he had stolen them? And Fiona's already inheriting a lot of money. But Mr. Baxter said Harvey wasn't paid much"

"So where are the dimes?" Max asked.
    "Right here." Nina pointed at the coffin. "In the painting, Waldo's cufflinks are green, but I remembered that he was wearing silver ones."

No one said a word about her sneaking in to see Waldo. Dad peeled a dime loose, rubbing glue off Mercury's profile.

"Harvey would have retrieved them before he buried the coffin," said Baxter. "Clever."
    "Not as clever as Nina," Mom said, hugging her.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

The Case of the Disappearing Signs

Nina was eating cold pizza for lunch at Max's house one hot July day. Mrs. Decker came in looking warm and weary.
    "I'm so disgusted," she said. "Remember that old house over on Norton Drive that I listed? I put a FOR SALE sign up in the yard early this morning. Just drove by now and it's gone. This is the third one this month that has disappeared."

"Why would anyone steal a realtor's signs?" Nina asked. "What would anybody do with them?"
    "Who knows?" Mrs. Decker poured herself a glass of lemonade. "Probably some kids with nothing better to do. I suppose they could use the signs to build something. They were the wooden ones."
    Max nudged Nina. "Want to bike over and see what we can find out?"
    "Not much there to see," his mother told him. "Only two houses on that whole street. An old lady-Mrs. Stearns-lives in the house next to the empty one."
    "Maybe she saw something," Nina said. "Let's go ask."

Half an hour later the two were biking toward the end of Norton Drive. A pick-up truck was parked in front of the empty house. A man was standing on the sidewalk looking in all directions.
    "You kids know anything about this place?" he asked. "I'm from out of town, and my nephew has been checking houses for me this past month. He thought I might like the one at the end of Norton Drive, so he let me borrow his truck to drive over here. But I don't know if this is the house he meant. There aren't any signs."
    "This house is for sale," Max told him. "My mom is the real estate agent."

"Great! Then can you tell me her name and company? I'd like to ask about this property. Paul tells me that houses in this part of town sell fast. He says this one has been on the market for quite some time. Glad I got here before it was sold! Just couldn't get over here any sooner."

As soon as Max gave him the information, the man drove off. Nina stared after the truck. "Know what? His nephew, Paul, might have taken the signs. Maybe he didn't want people to see that the house was for sale until his uncle had a chance to look at it. You can put lots of things in the back of a truck."
    Max nodded. "Let's ask this Mrs. Stearns if she saw anything this morning."

Mrs. Stearns came to the screen as soon as the two knocked. She was gray-haired, but she stood straight and tall. "Oh, I think I know who might have taken those signs," she told them. "Freddie Swanson. He lives a block away, but he's always up to mischief."
    She held the door open as she talked, so Nina peeked inside. She liked the cozy living room. The sofa and chairs were velvet-covered antiques. Lace doilies covered the end tables. A large painting hung over the intricately- carved fireplace mantel, and a cheerful fire crackled below.

"I know Freddie," Max said. "And I know where he lives. Let's go see him."
    Freddie was putting a lawn mower in the garage when they reached his house. He mopped his brow, as he talked to them. "Why would I take a dumb old sign?" he asked. "Besides, I've been out here doing yard work all morning." Nina stared past him at the garage. Her parents could hardly get their car in her garage at home because of all the stuff in it, but this one was practically bare. Then she noticed a crudely built tree house in the yard. The boards were gray and weather-beaten.
    She and Max talked as they biked back to his house. Mrs. Decker was washing the lunch dishes when they banged into the house.

"We think we know who took the signs," Nina told her.

Can you solve the case?

Whom does Nina suspect?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; December 05, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

that's wrong, Harvey would've only dug the grave, they'd have a formal funeral and I doubt he'd be retrieving then during that...
    unless he's going to be digging the grave a 2nd time to retrieve them I can't see it happening. though I noticed the cufflings I didn't see it relevant 'cause couldn't answer the question how did he (Harvey) get to hide them (the coins) in the coffin.

+I like talking to you

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

that's wrong, Harvey would've only dug the grave, they'd have a formal funeral and I doubt he'd be retrieving then during that...
    unless he's going to be digging the grave a 2nd time to retrieve them I can't see it happening.
    I think that “"Harvey would have retrieved them before he buried the coffin” means that Waldo’s intention was to retrieve them before the coffin was transported near the gazebo, at least that is how I understood it.

Quote Quote:
    though I noticed the cufflings I didn't see it relevant 'cause couldn't answer the question how did he (Harvey) get to hide them (the coins) in the coffin.
    Harvey took the coins out of the safe and hid them inside the coffin while dressing Waldo.

Quote Quote:
    Max took one glance inside, then pulled Nina away from the coffin. "Weird," he said. "I didn't think people wore tuxedos when they were buried."
    "He liked it. Dad said Uncle Waldo even had his portrait painted wearing this exact same outfit. He put it in his will that he wanted to be dressed for his funeral exactly the way he is in that portrait."
    Max shivered. "I wonder who had to dress him?"
    "Harvey, Waldo's assistant."

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

about the last story.

I think the old hag took them 'cause she doesn't want new neighbors though it could've been the nephew, but doing it 3 times in the span of a month is a a bit extreme.... if it were only once or even twice I would've probably went with him, but not for 3. so If I were to rate the suspects the granny 8/10 the nephew 6/10, the boy 2/10 (the tree house in the backyard was old (weatherbeaten) and not brown as it's supposed to be if made by wooden signs. )

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

just reread it... she used them for firewood

+I like talking to you

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I ask you where you get these stories from?

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Just google one of them.

+I like talking to you

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

about the last story.

I think the old hag took them 'cause she doesn't want new neighbors though it could've been the nephew, but doing it 3 times in the span of a month is a a bit extreme.... if it were only once or even twice I would've probably went with him, but not for 3. so If I were to rate the suspects the granny 8/10 the nephew 6/10, the boy 2/10 (the tree house in the backyard was old (weatherbeaten) and not brown as it's supposed to be if made by wooden signs. )

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

just reread it... she used them for firewood
    Correct!

Mrs. Stearns had taken the signs.

There was no evidence to show that Paul had actually used his truck to transport the signs. The boards used for Freddie's tree house were too old and worn to have been recently used for the signs. But Mrs.Stearns had a fire in her fireplace on a hot July day. She didn't want neighbors close by, and so she had taken the signs and was
    burning them in her fireplace so nobody would know the house was for sale.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    Can I ask you where you get these stories from?
    A couple of sites on the net that focus on mystery (short stories, real mysteries, etc.).

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

The Case of the Charley Cheetah Theft

The sky was dark and cloudy as Max and Nina left Carol Decker's car. They ran past the small artificial pond in Harborville Junior High's courtyard. Nina's science class had carefully arranged various colored rocks beneath the water, but nobody sat admiring the design today. "What a gloomy afternoon!" Nina said as they ran up the steps.

Just as Max flung open the front door, the rain poured down. "Lucky thing we didn't get caught in that," Nina said. "My hair looks like a scouring pad when it's wet."

Max laughed. "You mean you don't have wash and wear hair?"
    Before Nina could answer, loud voices echoed from the school media center, the only other room leading from the corridor. The two cousins hurried over and peered in.

Ms. Purdy, the school librarian, was glaring at three students. "I know one of you took Charley," she said. She glanced over and beckoned Nina and Max inside. "Maybe you two can help. I left our school mascot on my desk when I went to the cafeteria to get coffee a few minutes ago. As I was walking back here, I saw these three students in the corridor outside my door. Charley Cheetah is gone."

"Well, I sure didn't take him," Jack Weins said. "And I had a good reason for being in the corridor." He pointed to the cast on his left arm. "My mom is taking me to the doctor today. I stepped outside, didn't see her car, but saw it was going to rain any minute. Ellen was on the steps, so we walked inside together. She'll tell you that. I don't have any reason for taking Charley Cheetah."

"Ha!" Bill Bateson blurted. "Maybe you're mad that you broke your arm and couldn't be on the team. Isn't that a good enough reason? And Ellen didn't make the cheerleading squad this year. Maybe she wanted to cause trouble because of that. But me-- I just came here to get a book. When I saw that Ms. Purdy wasn't in the room, I went out to the corridor to wait for her. I sure don't have any reason to-"

"Hey, you'd do just about anything to get a good story for the school paper," Ellen interrupted. "I was only in that corridor because I was coming back from lunch. And Jack saw me, just like he said. Bill might have taken Charley just so he could have a great headline: Charley Cheetah, School Mascot, Stolen from Media Center."

"And I'd like to know where he is," Ms. Purdy said.
    "Sounds like nobody had much time alone," Nina said, gesturing to the three suspects. "Maybe someone here still has Charley Cheetah right now. After all, he's just an eight inch iron figurine."

"You think it's in my purse?" Ellen angrily demanded. "Take a look." She dumped the contents on the desk. Only the usual things tumbled out. Nina reached for her hand to calm her and felt the soaking wet cuff of her sleeve.
    "Well, it sure isn't in my book bag!" Bill declared, turning his canvas bag upside down. Nina noticed he had a school yearbook and two candy bars.

"And where would I hide it?" Jack asked.
    Max stepped closer and Nina noticed Jack cringe. "Just how loose is that cast?" Max asked. "Charley Cheetah isn't very big. Could you have-"
    Jack laughed. "You can bet my cast isn't that loose! He moved his arm closer, and Nina saw that the plaster was peeling away from the edges.
    Max glanced at Nina. "Could someone else have been in here and----"
    "No." Nina shook her head. "One of these three took Charley. And I think I know who it was. And I think I know where Charley is right now."

Can you solve the case?

Whom does Max suspect?
    Last edited by destiny4ever; December 09, 2012 at 04:02 PM.

MH's Funniest Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity digitaldude's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

They suspect ellen!!!

Her cuff was wet but she missed the rain, that means she hid the cheetah in the pond.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldude View Post
    They suspect ellen!!!

Her cuff was wet but she missed the rain, that means she hid the cheetah in the pond.
    Well done, digitaldude! You solved the mystery.

Nina noticed that Ellen Kringle's cuff was soaking wet. Since it hadn't been raining when Ellen came back to school, she had obviously put her hand and wrist into water. Ellen had taken Charley Cheetah and had put him into the bottom of the rock pond, making sure she placed him in a spot where he would not easily be seen. Angry that she hadn't been chosen as a cheerleader, she wanted to cause trouble for the team by temporarily hiding the mascot.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

The Case of the Sneak Thief's Sneakers

It was Saturday afternoon and Max and Nina were playing space aliens in the woods. "Something's different," Max said as they took a break between battles. "I know. Mr. Reed's not practicing."

Mr. Reed was the school's music teacher. The woods lay right by his property and every Saturday, as they played, the young cousins were always serenaded by solo clarinet music coming from the shack behind Mr. Reed's house.

Nina climbed down from the tree house they were using as their star cruiser. "You're right. I hope nothing's wrong." The words were barely out of her mouth when they heard a distant shout. "That's him."

Max and Nina ran to the edge of the woods. In front of them was Mr. Reed's field. In the middle of the field was the shack. Mr. Reed was there, peering through the shack's open door.

"I've been robbed," he shouted for the fourth time. "Max. Nina. Hello." He was trying to control his anger. "I'd just unlocked the door when I noticed a split reed on my clarinet. I went back to my house to get a new one. I left the shack unlocked, just for a few minutes. And now look."

Max and Nina had never seen the inside before, but they'd heard about it. Mr. Reed's music shack had been burgled last year, everything in stolen. When the music teacher brought in new furniture, he bolted it all to the floor-- the table in the center, the single chair by the table, even the file cabinets.

At first glance, nothing seemed out of place. But then Nina saw the broken pieces of pink pottery on the table. "Someone broke open your piggy bank?"

Mr. Reed looked embarrassed. "It held my rare silver dollar collection." He crossed the room and stretched his tall frame up to the blank space on his only shelf. "I kept it right here."

"A crime of opportunity," Max said, as if he dealt with this every day. "The thief saw the unlocked door and was looking for something to steal. He or she grabbed the piggy bank, broke it open on the table--"

"Look," Nina interrupted. "Footprints. Those aren't yours, are they?"
    "No," Mr. Reed replied, examining the path of prints on the dusty floor. "I haven't been in here since last Saturday. Being in the middle of a field, this place gets dusty pretty fast."

Very carefully, Max followed the prints, from the door over to the shelf, then back to the table. After that, a jumble of prints led all around the room. "I wonder what he was doing?"

Nina was on the other side of the shack by a pair of nailed down file cabinets. "These look like knee-prints," she said, pointing to a pair of round impressions between the cabinets. "Why would the thief kneel down?" She knelt down in the two knee prints. Right away, a glint of metal between the two cabinets caught her eye. Nina reached her arm through the narrow gap and pulled out a silver dollar. "The thief was trying to reach this," she said proudly and handed the rescued coin to Mr. Reed. "He was wearing 'SkyMaster' sneakers." Max stood up and wiped a little floor dust from his nose. "It's printed on the tread. Don't worry, Mr. Reed. We'll find your thief."

Max and Nina got on the case immediately. This was a lot more fun than fighting space aliens.
    Their first stop was Garvey's, the only shoe store in town. Mr. Garvey informed them that "SkyMaster" was a new brand of sneaker. "Since getting them in last week, I've made three sales," he said, checking his computer. "The first pair went to Todd Jones. You know him?" "Sure," Nina said. Everybody knew Todd "Beanpole" Jones. He resembled a seven foot tall skeleton and was the center of the high school basketball team.

"I sold the second pair to Ollie Infree. You kids probably don't know Ollie."
    But they did. Ollie Infree was a petty criminal whose taste for red suits made him look like a fireplug, or like a short Santa without the beard. He'd been arrested several times, once on Max's and Nina's suggestion. But he always managed to avoid conviction.

The third pair had been bought by Mona Everest, a human mountain, as tall as Beanpole and as stocky as Ollie. Mona had made a career for herself as a professional wrestler. Two years ago, she retired from the ring and moved to Harborville in order to breed toy poodles.

"We'll have to spy on them all," Nina whispered as they left the store. "Maybe break into their houses and see--" "We're not breaking into anyone's house," Max insisted. "I already think I know who the culprit is."

Can you solve the case?

Whom does Max suspect?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Mona Everest ?

She probably was wearing those wrestlng outfit and left a knee print and her stocky arms coudlnt get through the narrow gap ..

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2