Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 9 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Since I'm not popular, I will try to smile at my own

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A very cool thread title about myself

As a chameleon-type person, I can adjust to whatever color you wish to

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuteiken View Post
    Really?
    That's great. But it'll be totally narcissistic of me to add a quote from myself down there
    Nah, it's okay. Narcissistic is when you keep saying you're awesome, cool, or else.

That's what I'm referring to as strength. It's not always about what you achieve. It's about what you are trying to do.
    Unless you are a deity, you will keep breaking down at times, as all of us will. That fragility is in our nature for a reason unknown to me as of this day and I don't think I will ever truly know the answer.
    The thing is, without getting a hold of your own view of life, you aren't going anywhere, so, even if you have to keep burying the words into your mind all the time, that's probably much better than not knowing those words at all.

In a way, you can say we have got to be the protagonist in our own story. No matter how many times we get struck down, we have to keep standing up back.
    What an irony. We don't even have any supporting cast or antagonist for real out there. It's a story of one's own, decided solely by he himself.
    But we also have to consider what kind of strength we want.. I mean kings, dictators, and such are strong people but what they're trying to do is just... *wry smile*
    Yes, I am trying to do something here, but as long as what I am trying to do is for the sake for only myself, I don't want that kind of strength. That's why I said I'm not strong enough. I'm still pretty much an egoist and even though I'm trying to be considerate of others, there are times when I just lose to my ego.
    I don't really need an antagonist in my life. As some stories have taught me, a man's biggest enemy is himself. I am already complicated enough to handle without the antagonist to make things worse.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Why does it have to be a serious discussion wherever I go to?!

/spam
    You just pick the wrong place to go to.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    You just pick the wrong place to go to.
    Fine. I'm leaving.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Fine. I'm leaving.
    I'm not telling you to leave, but if you really hate serious discussions, maybe this is not place you should go to.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, it's okay. Narcissistic is when you keep saying you're awesome, cool, or else.
    Now, what word were we saying when a guy does exactly opposite of that?

But we also have to consider what kind of strength we want.. I mean kings, dictators, and such are strong people but what they're trying to do is just... *wry smile*
    Yes, I am trying to do something here, but as long as what I am trying to do is for the sake for only myself, I don't want that kind of strength. That's why I said I'm not strong enough. I'm still pretty much an egoist and even though I'm trying to be considerate of others, there are times when I just lose to my ego.
    I don't really need an antagonist in my life. As some stories have taught me, a man's biggest enemy is himself. I am already complicated enough to handle without the antagonist to make things worse.
    I see your point. That kind of empathic bond isn't everlasting, though. It withers away by time. Whether you revitalize it through your resolve or let it be replaced by your more selfish desires is up to you.
    As long as the concept of winning exists, so will the concept of losing. The sole way to escape that cycle is to end the battle altogether, which I believe is nothing but a divine being's capability.
    In a way, I have come to think I will end up dying anywhere on the path to such highness, so, I shall still keep going even when I know I'm not going to make it.

Have you read Plato's Allegory of the Cave? I suggest you try it if you haven't. That may help you impersonate both your self and your ego in some way.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh, I don't know the word in English (I can only thought of "low self-esteem" which doesn't sound right for some reasons), but Indonesian has a word for that.

I see your point. That kind of empathic bond isn't everlasting, though. It withers away by time. Whether you revitalize it through your resolve or let it be replaced by your more selfish desires is up to you.
    As long as the concept of winning exists, so will the concept of losing. The sole way to escape that cycle is to end the battle altogether, which I believe is nothing but a divine being's capability.
    In a way, I have come to think I will end up dying anywhere on the path to such highness, so, I shall still keep going even when I know I'm not going to make it.

Have you read Plato's Allegory of the Cave? I suggest you try it if you haven't. That may help you impersonate both your self and your ego in some way.
    I am somehow reminded again of the words: You will gain something and lose something else with every choices you make. It really is unavoidable. Such is the consequences of free will.
    And yeah, we'll never make it into a perfect being in this world, but at least we try as long as we live.
    Not actually read it, but I know the summary. Actually, my problem with my ego (ego as in egoism, not ego as in the aspect of consciousness) is like letting go of the habit you've had since you're kid, you know? It's already in my subconsciousness, and it's hard (near impossible, really, or actually... impossible?) to control subconsciousness!

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh, I don't know the word in English (I can only thought of "low self-esteem" which doesn't sound right for some reasons), but Indonesian has a word for that.
    Um, I don't expect to find a Turkish word to describe it, either. We don't have a ton of words explaining psychological things or so.

I am somehow reminded again of the words: You will gain something and lose something else with every choices you make. It really is unavoidable. Such is the consequences of free will.
    And yeah, we'll never make it into a perfect being in this world, but at least we try as long as we live.
    Not actually read it, but I know the summary. Actually, my problem with my ego (ego as in egoism, not ego as in the aspect of consciousness) is like letting go of the habit you've had since you're kid, you know? It's already in my subconsciousness, and it's hard (near impossible, really, or actually... impossible?) to control subconsciousness!
    Nice words. With one side shimmering with sun light, the other will be left in the shadow. Those are created by the forks in the roads. There is sort of a balance to it, which is actually a valuable thing for us humans to keep alive.
    And vice versa. We live as long as we try.

I'd say you are being a bit too much brutally honest towards yourself here. You seem to place your awareness at the back of your mind so that it'll constantly keep nagging at you, but in reality, it's only when you learn how to cast aside that mechanism every once in a while, you will feel the tension ceasing. Otherwise, it'll end up draining your energy, and faith altogether.
    Confronting your subconsciousness is futile. It's like battling out your mirrored image from a past time. No matter what the result is, you will definitely end up feeling like the losing side after a while.
    Ideas will not bed right away after you shape them up. It takes time. It takes massive time. Therefore, the younger you get control over yourself, the better.
    Though it may seem so, that's not a shallow form of optimism. What I'm stating here is attached to realism itself.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Altruistic?

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagi View Post
    Altruistic?
    Not exactly. It has got to give a meaning of.. self-torture, I suppose.

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly. It has got to give a meaning of.. self-torture, I suppose.
    Narcissism can be assimilated to egocentrism. So altruistic is a valid antonym in this specific case.

However, since you're talking about narcissism as an excessive love brought to the self-image, the opposite would be the lack of self-esteem or maybe self-loathing.
    Last edited by Gats; December 11, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Narcissism can be assimilated to egocentrism. So altruistic is a valid antonym in this specific case.

However, since you're talking about narcissism as an excessive love brought to the self-image, the opposite would the lack of self-esteem or maybe self-loathing.
    You have summed it up very nicely.
    My egocentric attitude has also been a problem, but it's a whole different debate. In this specific case, self-loathing may be suitable.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello . How are you ?
    My name is matzik , you can only call me by that name . Nice to meet you :

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matzik1212 View Post
    Hello . How are you ?
    My name is matzik , you can only call me by that name . Nice to meet you :
    Hello (=
    There is a good chance that you are the first person in twenty-odd days to ask this question

Nice to meet you, too, matzik. You can call me whatever you wish to.
    Samples are below:
    Assign a code letter H, just use consonants hktkn (not convenient, though), vice versa aueie (um, not ideal), Haku as an abbrevation..
    That's all I can come up with right now. If I had the slightest of good taste in picking good nicknames, my nick would be a lot more cooler, don't you think so

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity matzik1212's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok then Haku'chan

Hope it doesn't bother you

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like