Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 756 by cnet128 , Bleach 592 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98

Thread: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

  1. #16
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    The 'end of chapter blurb' is usually accurate because it's not very hard to guess what's supposed to happen, and the guy who wrote it probably has some heads-up by the author, but it's also not definitive.
    Just take it for what it is! A blurb.

    Quote Quote:
    The X-ball is just an extension of Samurai Drive.
    No it is not! This is an assumption.

    Quote Quote:
    Unlike the common 'illusion' type techs, all the balls here are real, same the way both of the balls in Samurai Drive are real. Therefore Yukimura's ability to see the 'truth', so to speak, is useless, because all X balls are real. There isn't a 'real' one because they are all 'real'. We specifically see Kintaro hitting all 10 balls to return Oni's 10 ball shot. If they're illusions, then hitting just one of them should be sufficient.
    Noooooooooooooooo. None of this is true. You're making it up with pure 100% unadulterated fan speculation and speaking as if it is gospel.

    Quote Quote:
    If you want an explanation for this technique you can go with quantum mechanics,
    Stahpppppppppppppppppp.

    Look, the whole 10-ball being 1-ball thing, it's clearly Oni rallying one ball with the ferocity of 10. But, because this is a manga and the images are still, we see Oni hitting the 10 balls first when in reality, he and Kintaro are both simultaneously rallying that one ball with the intensity of rallying 10.

    A similar concept was used in Fayte's fanfic, where Yukimura and another character were engaged in a high-speed rally at the net.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; December 02, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

  2. #17
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Hardy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions



    Akazawa would be proud of Oni and Kintarou.

  3. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #18
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    It is better for realism's sake that they're not actually playing with 10 balls, but in a way, I'd prefer 10 real balls as opposed to magically splitting the ball. If you miss a real ball, clearly you lose the point because you were unable to return one of them, but if you miss one of the magically split portions, the ball should seemingly magically reform and land behind.
    Even POT needs to respect real tennis rules. It'd be easier if they just use 10 balls but that's clearly not allowed in tennis. Given the power characters have there is absolutely nothing stopping them from just slicing up the ball into 1/10th and hit it back except that'd destroy too many balls and be dumb, in the same way you don't see people with Rai type techs focus solely on destroying the opponent's racket until they have to forfeit due to a lack of rackets.

    At any rate, if you go back to the Samurai Drive example, if someone cut the ball into 10X 1/10th pieces with the same tech (clearly doable with the level of power people have now) then by the example set by Samurai Drive if any of those 1/10 of a ball landed it counts as a point against you, and the X-ball concept is consistent with that (all X balls must be returned to return the X ball tech), but without needing to destroy a large number of tennis balls.
    Last edited by Phantron; December 02, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

  5. #19
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    A

    So Tooyama Kintaro has only just mastered hitting 10 at once meaning he and Ryoma improved at different rates who would have to have been able to hit 10 at once as he was doing it effortlessly with Tokugawa.
    I hope you didn't think I'd let you get away with that straw man argument and not explain myself. :P

    I assume you were alluding to my theory. I did not mean that Echizen, Sanada, and Kintarou all improved off screen at the same rate (as in, the very moment Echizen is shown to have 10 balls, Sanada and Kintarou magically got it too). My whole premise is that when Echizen was shown to have 10 balls, the very moment Kintarou and Sanada have their respective screentimes, they will also evolve to get 10 balls. Obviously I did not mean the interpretation you assumed, as I would have been wrong instantly, because those three didn't even achieve 5-ball status at the same time. Sanada was last.

    On topic:

    As for Kintarou hitting the last shot, that was the only ball. There is no such thing as 10 real balls. Don't listen to Phantron. Konomi already explained it in the chapter.

  6. #20
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    If you really think there is only one 'real' ball in an X-ball tech then by that token Tachibana is already at something like 15-17 ball level depending on which point of reference you want to use when he uses his special move.

    Shiraishi also is shown having the ball turn into 6 of them (possibly more) in one of his special moves.

    The whole point is that these previous techs are more or less illusions but in a X-ball tech the balls are real, or Tachibana would be way stronger than Oni given his move has shown to split up to more than 10 balls before. Honestly a tech to create the illusion of five balls wouldn't even be worth talking about at this point of NPOT.

  7. #21
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Again, I'll explain what this technique is.

    Essentially, the ability to hit 10 balls at the same time is being able to have enough speed and technique to properly rally 10 balls to the opponent. What Oni was doing initially was hitting the ball with the intensity of hitting 5 balls. It's not that there was any illusion, it's not that he hit 5 magic balls at the same time, what he did was rally one ball to Kintaro as fast as he would 5 balls 5 times. He then increased this to 10 as time when on.

    Basically, when Oni upped it to 10 balls, one exchange between Oni and Kintaro, one rally included 'high-speed' 10 returns. This is what one of the characters meant when he said "He appears to be hitting 6 balls but there's really only 1!"

    Again, it's not like this:

    Scenario 1:

    Oni hits balls 12345
    Kintaro returns balls 12345

    It's more like this:

    Scenario 2:

    Oni hits ball 1, Kintaro returns ball 1, Oni hits 2, Kintaro returns 2, Oni hits 3, Kintaro hits 3, Oni hits 4, Kintaro returns 4, Oni hits 5, Kintaro hits 5, Oni takes it up a notch - but at really high-speeds.

    The only reason it appears as static as Scenario 1 is because this is a manga and we obviously can't see the returns. It's just like in fighting manga where you see one character punching another character rapidly, and while it looks like he's just doing a multitude of punches, they're actually hitting the other character.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; December 02, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

  8. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    It can't be the case they're doing 5 or 10 rallies in the time it'd normally take someone to do one rally, because that'd imply the ball is traveling 5 or 10 times faster than a normaly rally. That would put the speed of the ball at well above Mach Serve speed. Sure, maybe the top tier characters can still see the ball fine, but it deosn't explain how any of the fodder characters can also see those 5-10 balls. That is, if 10 ball means they're just doing 10 rallies in the time it takes one rally to happen, none of the lower tier guys would be able to see the ball at all because it'd be way too fast, so the spectators should be like 'where did the ball go???', not 'there are 10 balls OMG'.

  9. #23
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    It can't be the case they're doing 5 or 10 rallies in the time it'd normally take someone to do one rally, because that'd imply the ball is traveling 5 or 10 times faster than a normaly rally. That would put the speed of the ball at well above Mach Serve speed. Sure, maybe the top tier characters can still see the ball fine, but it deosn't explain how any of the fodder characters can also see those 5-10 balls. That is, if 10 ball means they're just doing 10 rallies in the time it takes one rally to happen, none of the lower tier guys would be able to see the ball at all because it'd be way too fast, so the spectators should be like 'where did the ball go???', not 'there are 10 balls OMG'.
    It appears to other people that they area rallying 10 balls at the same time; that's the whole point. The one ball is being rallied so fast that it appears to be hit 10 times (which it actually is). That's why if one spectator were to look at Oni it would appear that he is hitting 10 balls at once, when he's really returning them faster than Kintaro hits them.

  10. #24
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    It appears to other people that they area rallying 10 balls at the same time; that's the whole point. The one ball is being rallied so fast that it appears to be hit 10 times (which it actually is). That's why if one spectator were to look at Oni it would appear that he is hitting 10 balls at once, when he's really returning them faster than Kintaro hits them.
    They wouldn't be able to see the ball because it'd be traveling at ten times the normal speed. I mean the spectators sure can't see Mach Serve and that's got to be slower than 10X speed rally. At best they might see something akin to Matrix 'bullet time' motion from Oni/Kintaro, but they'd never be able to see the ball itself because that'd be traveling way too fast for fodder characters to see.

  11. #25
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,254
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    @Brandnewkid.

    That tech explanation is as much assumption as Phantron is. We don't know how he did it. Nothing is explain in the chapter. "A character being confused as to how a technique is pull and while they know there's only 1 ball, they saw 10 ball being hit" isn't an explanation. That's just a confused characters that would have got dominated by Kintarou or Oni.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

    If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

  12. #26
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    @Brandnewkid.

    That tech explanation is as much assumption as Phantron is. We don't know how he did it. Nothing is explain in the chapter. "A character being confused as to how a technique is pull and while they know there's only 1 ball, they saw 10 ball being hit" isn't an explanation. That's just a confused characters that would have got dominated by Kintarou or Oni.
    No. An assumption would be to assume that this technique involves quantum physics. An assumption would be to assume that all these balls are real despite there being only one ball (?). An assumption would be to say that this is an advanced form of the Samurai Drive (???).

    What I'm doing is reaffirming what is implied in the chapter. In fact, when Oni does that thing he does, it's even called "X-Ball Hit" / "X-Kyuu Uchi." He's hitting one ball multiple times. Basically, Konomi's a retard.
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; December 02, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

  13. #27
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,254
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Alright, I misundestood.

    But anyways, here's some fun calculation, in case ball doesn't actually multiply.

    For the ball to not actually multiply, that would mean that every shot, except for the last shot that Kintarou did, would have need to be an Illusion create by something.

    This is the chance of it happening.

    (4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)=10%

    That's just for the 5 at once, though. Here's what we all see.

    (4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)*(5/6)*(4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)*(6/7)*(5/6)*(4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)*(7/8)*(6/7)*(5/6)*(4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)*(8/9)*(7/8)*(6/7)*(5/6)*(4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)*(9/10)*(8/9)*(7/8)*(6/7)*(5/6)*(4/5)*(3/4)*(1/3)*(1/2)*(1/1)

    And let me tell you, that's some REALLY REALLY small chance. And I predict that we'll see Kintarou always will hit the "real" ball last from now on.

    So, no, this time, all the ball is actually there. It may be due to Brandnewkid/Phantron or whatever. But the ball is there. And unless a player can hit 10 at once, they are screw.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

    If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

  14. #28
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Here, I'll even translate the spectator dialogue for you:

    Chotaro: Ikkyuu shika uchiattenai no ni ... Rokkyuu zutsu uchiatteru you ni miemasu Shishido-san?!

    Shishido: ... Miro, Chotaro, kondo ha nanakyuu da?!


    Ohmagari: Aitsu (Oni), otonageneeshi, jibun de sondatete jibun de hakai-suru tsumorika ... Oni

    -----------------

    Chotaro: In spite of them playing with a single ball it doesn't seem that they are hitting just one ... It appears that they're hitting six at a time, right Shishido?!

    Shishido: ... Take a better look, Chotaro, now they're going at it with seven balls?!


    Ohmagari: That dude Oni, he's really not playing any games ... Do you plan on doing yourself in by being so sanguine?


    As for Kintaro and Oni's earlier exchange:

    Kintaro: Nouaruwashi ha tsume o kakusu!
    Oni: Taka da!


    What Kintaro means to say here is a Japanese idiom that literally means "A skilled hawk keeps its talons hidden," meaning that someone who can really strut their stuff doesn't flaunt it or make it obvious. However, Kintaro mistakes "taka" / "hawk" for "washi" / "eagle." A good English translation would be:

    Kintaro: A real turkey keeps it's feathers tucked!
    Oni: You mean a peacock!
    Last edited by Brandnewkid; December 02, 2012 at 09:57 PM.

  15. #29
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Fuji Shusuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Clouds
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Take my theory,

    To force the ball to clone, all you need to do is hit the ball in completely different directions at the same time. This may be simple but this is actually quite hard to do since if you hit the ball with the racquet, having a second racquet hit it at the same time is impossible since the first racquet blocks off the second racquet.

    However, if it is a clone of yourself, both racquets are "real" and will make contact with the ball, but the non-clone racquet will pass through clone racquet since it is just an after image. Therefore allowing the ball to be hit in two different directions and with enough power, the ball will grow unstable and shake off the original course to "relieve" its instability from hitting in one direction but move to the other side almost instantaneously to "relieve" that instability caused by hitting it in the other direction. If you make more clones and have enough power to cause instability in the ball, you can make as many "clones" of the ball as you like.


    Now for returning the ball...

    You may say, "but there is only one real ball, how did Kintarou return Oni's shot(s) back as if there were 10 balls?"
    Well... this explanation took me a while to figure out. My explanation involves the neutralisation of the direction change.

    If Oni hits 8 balls, he puts on 8 ball direction changes. When Kintarou goes to return, he hits one of the balls. With that he neutralises one of the ball's direction changes. However, that is only one direction change, so the ball instead of moving to Oni, it will change direction to one of the seven original clone positions. Since Kintarou has cloned himself to make 8, he can counter all of the direction changes. Since the ball is moving so fast and this is done pretty much instantaneously the rules can be considered not broken.

    Then there is a question which is, how does Kintarou make balls clones himself?
    Well, by returning Oni's balls, he in turn hits the ball in multiple directions at the same time, and since he has a lot of power in his shots, he has enough power to make the ball unstable and go off the original course.
    "Sorry, but I never lose to the same opponent twice." - Fuji

  16. #30
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shin Prince of Tennis Chapter 91 Discussion/Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Shusuke View Post
    Take my theory,

    To force the ball to clone, all you need to do is hit the ball in completely different directions at the same time. This may be simple but this is actually quite hard to do since if you hit the ball with the racquet, having a second racquet hit it at the same time is impossible since the first racquet blocks off the second racquet.

    However, if it is a clone of yourself, both racquets are "real" and will make contact with the ball, but the non-clone racquet will pass through clone racquet since it is just an after image. Therefore allowing the ball to be hit in two different directions and with enough power, the ball will grow unstable and shake off the original course to "relieve" its instability from hitting in one direction but move to the other side almost instantaneously to "relieve" that instability caused by hitting it in the other direction. If you make more clones and have enough power to cause instability in the ball, you can make as many "clones" of the ball as you like.


    Now for returning the ball...

    You may say, "but there is only one real ball, how did Kintarou return Oni's shot(s) back as if there were 10 balls?"
    Well... this explanation took me a while to figure out. My explanation involves the neutralisation of the direction change.

    If Oni hits 8 balls, he puts on 8 ball direction changes. When Kintarou goes to return, he hits one of the balls. With that he neutralises one of the ball's direction changes. However, that is only one direction change, so the ball instead of moving to Oni, it will change direction to one of the seven original clone positions. Since Kintarou has cloned himself to make 8, he can counter all of the direction changes. Since the ball is moving so fast and this is done pretty much instantaneously the rules can be considered not broken.

    Then there is a question which is, how does Kintarou make balls clones himself?
    Well, by returning Oni's balls, he in turn hits the ball in multiple directions at the same time, and since he has a lot of power in his shots, he has enough power to make the ball unstable and go off the original course.
    This is just simply not true. Nothing is even mentioned about directions or aerodynamics.

New Reply
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts