Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Why do Zangetzu and Juhabach look so similar?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's purely coincidental!!!

12 54.55%
  • Ichigo's Quincy heritage (of which Juhabach is the first) is reflected in Zangetzu's appearance.

7 31.82%
  • Ichigo has memories of Juhabach locked inside of him, and they've affected Zangetzu's appearance.

2 9.09%
  • They look similar for a different reason (please state).

1 4.55%
New Reply

Thread: Juhabach / Zangetzu Similarity Theories

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee.J.Baxter's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Juhabach / Zangetzu Similarity Theories

Hi all!!!

I believe that the similarities between Juhabach and Zangetzu may not be merely coincidental. Here's my theory...

I think that Ichigo has actually met Juhabach in the past (perhaps at the time of Masaki's death, or perhaps even at another time), and that a part of Ichigo remembers him. We know that a Zanpakutou's inner spirit is determined by its owner, and I think that Ichigo's memory of Juhabach affected Zangetzu's appearance.

Please share your own theories! Is their similar appearance purely coincidental, or are there reasons behind it???
    Predictions
    • Just as Quincies are evolved beings born from Humans, Shinigami are evolved beings born from Hollows.
    • Once Yhwach dies, Ichigo's Quincy powers will disappear and his soul will become unstable, causing the onset of Soul Suicide.
    • Yhwach isn't going to be the final antagonist.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Juhabach / Zangetzu Similarity Theories

Kubo draws all his character in a similar way.
    So I think that is just a coincidence the fact that he looks like Zangetsu.
    But if what you say it's true, then I'll give you the merits you deserve.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think juhabach looking like zangetsu is also a bit of a coincidence. If there is a relationship between ichigo and juhabach it has to be on masaki's side to begin with. If juhabach having a similar appearance to zangetsu is not a coincidence then it would imply that the relationship of ichigo to juhabach comes from his father's side, not masaki's.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I just dont see it-
    First - Juha back only has facial hair on his cheeks and his mustache. He shaves his chin hair completely and it looks kinda like a gay 16 century pirate Imho.

Second- Juha back does not wear sunglasses.

third- Zangetsus beard in shikai covers his whole face and is more closely shaven than juha back... did i mention the sunglasses.

4th.- Just because hes got dark hair and some facial hair and has dark cloaky robes...doesnt make him in any way related to zangetsus cool semi tattered glalctic looking cloak... I dont buy it. I voted for pure coincidence.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bajan4eva1's Avatar
    Country
    Barbados
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think juhabach looking like zangetsu is also a bit of a coincidence. If there is a relationship between ichigo and juhabach it has to be on masaki's side to begin with. If juhabach having a similar appearance to zangetsu is not a coincidence then it would imply that the relationship of ichigo to juhabach comes from his father's side, not masaki's.
    Well i'm actually kind of torn on whether its coincidence or not. However, if it's not coincidence then why couldn't his zan resemble Bach if Bach is related to Masaki? You figure two parents make a child so both parent's genes could influence the child (hence Ichigo and Karin's different hair color). Also like genes, his soul would be made up of aspects from both parents and his zan is an extension of his soul. So if Ichigo is related to Bach via Masaki then I don't see why his soul couldn't resemble someone from his mother's side even if his father is the shinigami in the family.

Like I said I'm torn on what to think now as for coincidence or not so I'm just playing devils advocate. But one thing that would help would be to see what Engetsu looked like. If his father's zan looked like Zangetsu then I think it's pure coincidence between Zangetsu and Bach. If Zangetsu and Engetsu look nothing alike then this theory can't be proved nor disproved until we find out if Ichigo is indeed related to Bach.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm somewhat undecided myself. When we first saw Bach, the first thing that popped into my head was that he looked like Zangetsu, but as we've seen more of him I've become less and less convinced. To be honest I think his tattered cape has something to do with it. If he had a normal white cape like the rest of the Quincy I suspect we might have been less quick to draw a comparison to Zangetsu.

But then Bach revealed his sword, the blade of which looks undeniably similar to Ichigo's new Zangetsu. With the implied link between Ichigo/Masaki and Bach and the Quincy, there could well be something to it. As he seems to have inherited a -Getsu zanpakuto and the Getsuga Tenshou from his Shinigami blood from Isshin, it's possible Ichigo inherited other traits from Bach, if he is indeed descended from Quincy. But like Bajan4eva1 said, it might become clearer if we see Isshin's shikai and whether or not it's similar to Ichigo's new Zangetsu.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Kyodai Senkan Mora's Avatar
    Country
    Kenya
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.J.Baxter View Post
    Hi all!!!
    I think that Ichigo has actually met Juhabach in the past (perhaps at the time of Masaki's death, or perhaps even at another time), and that a part of Ichigo remembers him. We know that a Zanpakutou's inner spirit is determined by its owner, and I think that Ichigo's memory of Juhabach affected Zangetzu's appearance.
    I don't see how Ichigo meeting someone who went on to play no role whatsoever in his life after that would manifest in him shaping his Zanpaktou spirit in that person's likeness. If people could shape their spirits after who they saw then I believe they would choose people who mattered to them instead of casual acquaintances they happened to see...by this logic therefore Zangetsu would therefore look a lot like say Masaki.....I do however support your theory that the likeness is not coincidental but that the reason is purely the potential familial relationship between Ichigo and Bach
    "Unless I grip the sword, I can not protect you. While gripping the sword I can not embrace you." -Tite Kubo

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member deadsuit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Their Zanpakto look too similiar to be a coincidence

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bajan4eva1 View Post
    Well i'm actually kind of torn on whether its coincidence or not. However, if it's not coincidence then why couldn't his zan resemble Bach if Bach is related to Masaki? You figure two parents make a child so both parent's genes could influence the child (hence Ichigo and Karin's different hair color). Also like genes, his soul would be made up of aspects from both parents and his zan is an extension of his soul. So if Ichigo is related to Bach via Masaki then I don't see why his soul couldn't resemble someone from his mother's side even if his father is the shinigami in the family.

Like I said I'm torn on what to think now as for coincidence or not so I'm just playing devils advocate. But one thing that would help would be to see what Engetsu looked like. If his father's zan looked like Zangetsu then I think it's pure coincidence between Zangetsu and Bach. If Zangetsu and Engetsu look nothing alike then this theory can't be proved nor disproved until we find out if Ichigo is indeed related to Bach.
    Well, my idea was that zangetsu and engetsu are similar to begin with. Wouldn't it make sense that ichigo's shinigami powers would look more like ishin who has similar shinigami powers to ichigo? In turn not only we have no reason to believe masaki had any shinigami powers but ichigo noted no similarities between zangetsu and the juhabach so far.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Bajan4eva1's Avatar
    Country
    Barbados
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thats true, being that his shinigami powers are descended from his father it makes more sense for Zangetsu to be similar to Engetsu but part of me hopes that he's so out of the ordinary that he's influenced by both parents in unusual ways. Sort of like he gets the power from his father but his soul is more influenced by his mother. And yeah I think Ichigo would have immediately stated a resemblance between Zangetsu and Bach unless Kubo is waiting to have Ichigo mention that later.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I'm hoping Masaki will have had something to do with Zangetsu's appearance or ability as well, though she probably had little to no effect on it, but it'd be cool. Maybe she affected the growth rate of his powers, or the way the bankai manifests or something.

One thing I don't get is why Zangetsu has sunglasses, you'd think zans are like mythical spirits...but he looks quite modern, much like Ichi himself

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be very surprised if it's just coincidence. It certainly seems like something's going on, whether it's Quincy heritage or something else. I guess we'll see.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Nigeria
    Post Thanks / Like

I vote "It's purely coincidental".
    The zanpakuto is a reflection of the user's spirit (It's all Ichigo).

New Reply