Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mangahelpers Anime Awards 2012 Discussion Thread

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mangahelpers Anime Awards 2012 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    These awards are for fun only, not intended for any grander purpose. It's more fun to talk about all the anime we like, rather than just the new ones. Why arbitrarily limit ourselves to a calender year if we do not have to? The results of these polls are not important, just an informal popularity contest among fans. Ghan already said what really matters: it's an opportunity for everyone to share their favorites, and discover anime they had never heard of. Finding new anime is easy, we have new season previews stickied in the Otaku Theater, filled with pics, videos, and comments. It's harder to find older titles, even recently ended ones, after discussion has died down and the thread is archived. So rather than impose a time frame, it's better to let fans be fans and just nominate their favorites, no matter when they aired.
    This would make sense if it was an event that occurs only once. But it now happens every year. So what do we discuss this year that we didn't discuss the other year already. What is the fun in having almost the same nomination every year ? They are already the same as the manga awards enough. If you want to make people discuss about old animes or old mangas why not make a dedicate award event for them ? There was a lot of discussion when it happened for the first time but it seems to me it was not as successful the second time. To me the reason is because they are repetitive. Personaly, these type of all time awards loses a lot of their interest and I'm not sure to participate in them anymore. It would make more sense if the 2012 award was the majority and not the exception. I don't know any other yearly awards that works this way.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    This would make sense if it was an event that occurs only once. But it now happens every year. So what do we discuss this year that we didn't discuss the other year already. What is the fun in having almost the same nomination every year ? They are already the same as the manga awards enough. If you want to make people discuss about old animes or old mangas why not make a dedicate award event for them ? There was a lot of discussion when it happened for the first time but it seems to me it was not as successful the second time. To me the reason is because they are repetitive. Personaly, these type of all time awards loses a lot of their interest and I'm not sure to participate in them anymore. It would make more sense if the 2012 award was the majority and not the exception. I don't know any other yearly awards that works this way.
    I disagree that the nominations are always the same in every categories (or were you talking about Best Anime Overall and Best Classic?). What you said in some cases might be true if we talk about Manga awards, but in Anime, I couldn’t notice any exact similarities between the previous awards and now. For example, Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood were dominating in the previous award, but this year I haven’t see any of them being nominated (except Code Geass in the best OP), because either they won the previous awards or members prefer newer Anime. I’m almost one hundred percent sure that trends would change by next year too.

With all due respect, I think you’re being too skeptical about this award. The purpose of this award, like Kait have said, is mainly for fun. Promoting new Anime is a great purpose, but that’s a bonus. There is nothing wrong with nominating old Anime. If you want to promote new Anime, then do it, nominate them in our nomination threads. I’m sure members who are visiting the nomination threads might want to try to watch a particular new Anime because many people are nominating it. Take Magi as an example.
    Last edited by Doraku; December 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

These awards are not intended to be objective critiques, reviews, criticisms, or year end anime wrap ups. They are only intended as fun way for fans to talk about the anime they like. The last thing we want is to draw imaginary lines around an activity only intended for fun. This is a fan forum, all we care about is giving fans the opportunity to talk about what they watch. And not just what they watched in the 2012 calender year, but everything they watch. If that risks a little repetition, so be it. If activity is any reflection, a lot of members are really enjoying the awards. Seeing so many new faces posting is a success unto itself.

Please remember that anime fandom is very different than manga fandom. Most anime are only 12 - 25 episodes long, with new shows debuting every three months. Part of being an anime fan is picking out new shows every season. There is natural turnover within fandom, necessitated by the format itself. Upcoming anime are announced months in advance, and receive considerable publicity in Japan, all of which is quickly disseminated around the net. Finding new shows to watch is a ten minute affair. As with all new TV shows, anime fans are accustomed to trying new shows without heavily vetting them first. Knowing where to look is easy; we keep upcoming and current season previews stickied at all times in the Otaku Theater. Most categories reflect fan emphasis on the new. While some old favorites have been nominated, all categories have been dominated by titles from 2011 and 2012.

The last anime only awards began in mid-February 2011, too early for anime from 2011 to be nominated. The 2011 winter season was barely a month old when the awards started, some of the most popular titles (for example: now classics Steins;Gate, AnoHana, and Madako Magica) would not debut until after the nomination process was over.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

These awards are not intended to be objective critiques, reviews, criticisms, or year end anime wrap ups. They are only intended as fun way for fans to talk about the anime they like. The last thing we want is to draw imaginary lines around an activity only intended for fun.
    I don't see how restricting them to a period of time would prevent these events from being enjoyable and people having fun. In what exactly would it make them something objective ? Isn't it interesting and fun to discuss what you have enjoyed the most last year compare to the other, what were your deceptions and your surprises ? Isn't that more interesting than nominating Akainu/Orochimaru for Best villain, Ace/Jiraiya for Best death for the N+1 times.
    Quote Quote:

This is a fan forum, all we care about is giving fans the opportunity to talk about what they watch. And not just what they watched in the 2012 calender year, but everything they watch. If that risks a little repetition, so be it. If activity is any reflection, a lot of members are really enjoying the awards. Seeing so many new faces posting is a success unto itself.
    Then what is the point in calling them 2012 awards ? There are others threads to discuss what we watch, have watched or will watch.
    Quote Quote:
    Please remember that anime fandom is very different than manga fandom. Most anime are only 12 - 25 episodes long, with new shows debuting every three months. Part of being an anime fan is picking out new shows every season. There is natural turnover within fandom, necessitated by the format itself. Upcoming anime are announced months in advance, and receive considerable publicity in Japan, all of which is quickly disseminated around the net. Finding new shows to watch is a ten minute affair. As with all new TV shows, anime fans are accustomed to trying new shows without heavily vetting them first. Knowing where to look is easy; we keep upcoming and current season previews stickied at all times in the Otaku Theater. Most categories reflect fan emphasis on the new. While some old favorites have been nominated, all categories have been dominated by titles from 2011 and 2012.
    Hopefully the awards are naturally biased toward the recent series and events and help renewing the nomination but then that make even less sense to not restrict the period of time. Well I guess it makes it a battle between the last one showed against the all time favourite...
    Last edited by k-dom; December 22, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The Viennese Pixie MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

It's 2012 because this is an annual event.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

And not just what they watched in the 2012 calender year, but everything they watch.
    Yeah, except most people nominate anime from this year anyway (or anime that are currently airing even though they've started earlier). It's most apparent in "Best Anime Overall" thread. For example Hunter x Hunter 2011 is way worse than 1999 version but because it's new it's one of the most popular series in this plebiscite.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goral View Post
    Yeah, except most people nominate anime from this year anyway (or anime that are currently airing even though they've started earlier). It's most apparent in "Best Anime Overall" thread. For example Hunter x Hunter 2011 is way worse than 1999 version but because it's new it's one of the most popular series in this plebiscite.
    Then nominate it
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

First, let's clear up one important thing: The "2012" part of "Anime Award 2012" does not refer to the time limitation of each categories. This is not an Oscar, unless it's explicitly stated, there is no time limitation in nominating. The year is referring to when the event is held, pretty much the same with the previous Anime award.

Could I ask what is wrong with that? Some people might nominate newer Anime over the old one in the "Best Anime Overall", since probably newer Anime is more memorable compared to the old one, and I couldn't see anything wrong with that.

Hunter X Hunter 2011 might be worse than Hunter X Hunter 1999, but remember, that's your personal opinion. We are trying to respect every member who are trying to nominate their favorites here, regardless whether other member think that such Anime might be undeserved to get nominated due to the lack of quality and the like. The best way to introduce your favorite Anime is, like Uriel said, nominate it. Only by such action, people could vote the Anime which you think deserves "Best Anime Overall".

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand your point. If only anime from 2012 were eligible then neither version of Hunter x Hunter would be eligible. And why are you posting about that here anyway? If the older version is that much better, go nominate it. Posting about it here doesn't do anyone any good. Who cares if it wins or not anyway? This is just an anime popularity contest at a medium sized manga forum, it's not like you get a prize for winning.

Honestly people, let's try and maintain a little perspective. This is not a matter of serious business, or a matter of dire consequences. We are not changing the awards to 2012 anime only this late into the nomination process. If all you want to nominate are anime from 2012, then only nominate anime from 2012. Don't like the anime being nominated? Go nominate what you like. Not interested? Don't participate. Breathe. Relax. Have fun.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 23, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

13. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Yuyunarutoballz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed that older animes are at a severe disadvantage in these award thingies. Seems like if the show hasn't come out in the pass 2 or 3 years, and or isn't ongoing they're hardly brought up or nominated whether they deserve it or not
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; December 24, 2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: no series discussing

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly, I nominated a lot of newer series (2 or 3 years old) because they're fresher in my mind than the classic ones, or even less recent ones (5 or so years ago). Not that the older ones aren't great or anything (TTGL is one of my top 5 anime), but in the moment of recalling anime that have made an impression on me, I'm going to naturally go for ones I remember more recently, like Fate/Zero or Madoka Magicka.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Yuyunarutoballz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why i keep an Anime-Planet. So i can keep up with all the crap i've watched.
    http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Yuyunarutoballz/anime

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There is only so much praise Grave of the Fireflies and Spirited Away can receive without it feeling forced. It's simply a matter of living in the present, rather than forgetting the past. We all probably have spent a considerable amount of time and effort recommending old favorites, there is nothing wrong with spending an equal amount of time praising the new. Nostalgia is for losers.

18. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand your point. If only anime from 2012 were eligible then neither version of Hunter x Hunter would be eligible. And why are you posting about that here anyway? If the older version is that much better, go nominate it. Posting about it here doesn't do anyone any good. Who cares if it wins or not anyway? This is just an anime popularity contest at a medium sized manga forum, it's not like you get a prize for winning.

Honestly people, let's try and maintain a little perspective. This is not a matter of serious business, or a matter of dire consequences. We are not changing the awards to 2012 anime only this late into the nomination process. If all you want to nominate are anime from 2012, then only nominate anime from 2012. Don't like the anime being nominated? Go nominate what you like. Not interested? Don't participate. Breathe. Relax. Have fun.
    I think HxH 2011 is eligible in this situation as it aired throughout this year and things that happened during this year deserve nomination for example Gon vs Hisoka for best fight.
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; December 27, 2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Will the HxH tards ever stop bashing each other?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question: Why is there no "Best OST" category? At first i thought that you guys did not want the music to be a part of the awards but then again, there is a category about the "Best opening" and "Best ending theme".

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast