Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has the story taken a wrong turn? What's the next step?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Skyfall's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz Has the story taken a wrong turn? What's the next step?

Don't get me wrong,
    I am a big fan of the gantz series and I think that the story is fantastic.
    But I think that the whole story-line went the wrong way at the point where they where at war against the giants and their big spaceships.

The beginning of those missions, like infiltrating the spaceships was still exciting, but after that it was getting boring and slow.
    After they defeated the giants they confront some sort of all-mighty alien species. And that could have been interesting, but instead they ask uninteresting and pointless questions and the replies from those god-like-aliens where even WORSE.

Next to that they made 2 terrible live action movies instead of continuing the awesome anime...
    I don't think that gantz will be as awesome as it was before.
    There doesn't seem to be any good or interesting chapters coming out and no good ending for this manga anymore in my opinion.

Please let me know your opinions about this!
    What do you want or expect to see in future gantz series?
    What did you thought was wrong in the story-line? (except the whole TAE's-SHITTY-SURVIVAL-CHAPTERS)

*Sorry for my bad English!*

GAT-X252 - i Changed the title since it made the thread look like a bashing thread.
    Last edited by GAT-X252; December 07, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The story has failed

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
    Next to that they made 2 terrible live action movies instead of continuing the awesome anime...
    The people and the companies behind the production of the film put their cash into a theatrical release, there was no instead here, it was the movie or nothing.

Also, i like the anime, but even i have to acept it's mediocre. Also, there is absolutely no way there could be a continuation of it. Why is it that people want a continuation instead of a remake, there is a bunch of horrible filler and ugly CGI in the Gonzo anime.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the story has been that bad. I mean yeah obviously a lot of people aren't really liking it atm (myself included) but the concept behind it has been fantastic so far. I think the only problem has been that Oku has rushed through the story. Instead of fleshing out awesome ideas like Tae lost in space, random civilians trying to survive after escaping capture, plus the Gantz vs. aliens gladiatorial exhibitions and stuff like that, they're over within 5 chapters every damn time, and we quickly move along to the next gimmick so the story can be wrapped up by the end of the year.

If Oku had taken the time to explore each segment of the story a little better and stayed far away from the deus ex machinas (like the memory scanning dna tracker BS) it would have been a great story arc imo.

---

anyway I think everybody agrees that the movies were pretty fucking shit. As for the anime... I think they did a decent enough job right up until the ending. In any case I'd rather they just continue the anime from mission 3 onwards. As much as I would like to see them redo the manga and stick to it, I'd rather just skip the first three missions and move on with the newer arcs.

In any case I would expect to see an anime reboot fairly soon (assuming Gantz either ends or goes on hiatus or whatever the hell is going on). The movies and the spin off series demonstrate to me that the producers or whatever have a lot of interest in milking Gantz for all it's worth.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GAT-X252 View Post
    Also, there is absolutely no way there could be a continuation of it. Why is it that people want a continuation instead of a remake, there is a bunch of horrible filler and ugly CGI in the Gonzo anime.
    Yes, that's what I am hoping for, a remake, but a remake that will go further then the two stage's of the original.
    I don't think they will make another gantz anime anytime soon, maybe when they end the manga series.

BUT IF they would make a remake and they would do it right this time, the gantz anime could become a great succes.
    The whole story from beginning until the middle of the giants arc was fantastic. Sometimes they have to go more into detail, like the whole German gantz mysteries and the brother of Kei Kuruno, Akira Kurono, and their whole vampire clan left me with a lot of questions. And so are there a lot more unsolved things they skipt threw in the manga series.
    Since it was along time ago and many chapters have passed, I can't even remember everything that has happened in the manga.

You're right about their is no way they could continue the old gantz anime, because it's of course simply too damn old now.

And about Gonzo anime, I don't really know much about them since I have only watched their: Welcome to the N.H.K., Hellsing and Gantz And those series are totally different and made by different people under Gonzo Anime.
    Last edited by Skyfall; December 07, 2012 at 05:53 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the story taken a wrong turn? What's the next step?

^

If it was up to me, I would have kept Kei searching for Tae (with no DNA tracker bullshit and Tae huddled scared in a corner with that other group of survivors) while the rest of the Tokyo Team stranded in the weird part of town with all the aliens and Nishi stealthing through the city pranking random people by blowing tiny chunks off their body or something with the x rifle.

Meanwhile keep Cherry and the attack on the tower the same up until their failure, and then all of a sudden the Americans are shown to have captured the tower on the ground level and obliterated the army or held the alien generals hostage or whatever the hell it takes for a ceasefire, and then all of a sudden everyone's in the room of truth and then transferred back to their positions on the mothership with all the gantz tech disabled.

And then it's just 'fuck we're in space what now' as the series continues for a few more years. And stuff.

But that's just if I was hovering over Oku's shoulder whispering "what the fuck is this bullshit Oku?" whenever he tries to rush anything.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Galactic Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

^

I agree, but the part when they get transferred to the room of truth had to be done totally different.
    I really hated that part, because you expect the ending, the facts, the truth, but instead there were no interesting questions or answers.
    The answers they gave were so obvious I could have come up them myself, like ''thats how things are'', ''existence is like this''.
    They should have given the answers more meaning and depth.
    And also it would have been interesting if the all mighty aliens were helping earth with the Gantz-balls for an even bigger cause, instead of just saying ''we did it, because we did it''

And when they got transferred back to the mother ship, they should not had been able to transfer back to earth that easily. Instead they had to go on a longer quest for example. Maybe they were needed in another galaxy or they are going to search for more answers and clues of what Gantz really is and why all the aliens go to earth.
    Because simply going back to earth is a bit boring after the whole invasion, unless Oku wants to end the story.

I really wanna know why Oku has to rush everything and why he is making a beginning of such a crappy ending(if this is the ending).

And Damura Thanks for changing the title of the thread. I thought the first one was to negative myself and wanted to change it, but could not find the option.

Btw it's weird that so many people read this thread but don't reply..
    Last edited by Skyfall; December 08, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: crappy grammer and spelling

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
    ^
    And Damura Thanks for changing the title of the thread.
    ???

Country
    Galactic Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

^

It wasn't you who changed the title? Then who did?

*edit* Nvm I just saw that GAT-X252 has changed the title. Thanks for changing.
    Last edited by Skyfall; December 09, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^

I'm not really a mod or anything like GAT.

While I'm possibly dedicated enough (at least to the Gantz board), I couldn't care less about the rules or any of that stuff tbh.

The power would probably go straight to my head anyway. Would be total anarchy.

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Damura; December 09, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I love the story line but I agree with Damura, he just rushed it and didn't add more to the almighty god aliens.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member anime9999's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I am lost as well. The giants' surrender was quick and unexpected. The battle between gantzers and the giants' insects/spores/microorganisms suggests that the giants be much stronger than that. I still wonder how the hell "America" managed to win.

Btw, anyone still remembers the Katastrophe day when it was reported that America has been wiped? How logically can we accept that with the fact the America is the winner??

Oh.. and the 21 grams of data thing is epic!

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

There's just one thing I want to say:
    Please let it end. Please, please, please. It's painful to see how this manga went from my favorite one of all time to one of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see Gantz start again as in with different Characters, isn't Oku creating a new manga soon? Hopefully.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

It took the wrong turn as soon as this arc started up. Katastrophe had potential, but it has been fraught with pacing and writing issues. It's clear as day that Oku has little-no idea where he intends to take the manga and has been draggning things out, such as the Kei-Tae rescue or rushing through the conclusion of things, like with this climax. What doesn't help is that he attempts to force drama by, as someone said in another thread, kicking the characters in the nuts at every turn. It's just poor form and it's rather repetitive since it always happens.

Hell, the fact that he literally used a Deus ex Machina to write out the Kei-2 and Reika story in such a blatant fashion sums up his capability, or lack thereof, really. Don't get me started on his attempts to sound deep when he harps on about the worth of human life like any other nihilist does, but then asspulls things like proper reincarnation into the story.

I think Oku bit off more than he could chew with this arc, to be entirely honest. It's understandable as the series has been escalating since day one, but it's obvious that he's struggled through this arc.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your reply's!
    I was already wondering if I was the only one who felt this way about Gantz current story line, because I never really used forums before.
    Let's just hope that Oku makes a nice ending or a better arc somehow.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast