Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Has the story taken a wrong turn? What's the next step?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has the story taken a wrong turn? What's the next step?

^

I believe it may have been stated during Gantz/MINUS but I can't be 100% sure.

At the very least we know HS and Izumi have met each other in the past. That was a pretty big clue.
    Last edited by Damura; January 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    @kliff2004:???

oh wait I just remembered

Spoiler show
    I conceded to your all mighty powers lol

But I guess to say has the story took a wrong step.

In the end I'd rather have finished the alien arc first, then just had the room of truth.

I almost thought he would end gantz at this, but I guess its still going.

I have fun thinking of american version's of gantz stories that will never get to exist.

Maybe someday I could write a story down.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know the exact chapter number, but one of the chapters that focus on Akira the teacher calls the Gantzers "Vampire hunters". So I guess they are a past failed hunt. If they are not a past hunt than they could be just paid off mercenaries paid off by some of the people that gamble bets for the Gantz game.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kliff2004 View Post
    Maybe someday I could write a story down.
    If I could draw, I would definitely try it!

Gantz provides the perfect format for a bit of creative fan fiction I think.

I have some great ideas (according to my brain) but unfortunately next to no talent Bad luck you guys.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it sort of has taken a wrong turn, this manga fells alot like the Lost tv series the only difference is that i saw Lost going downhill much sooner and dropped it right away. Anyway the author created way too many mysteries and now he just cant explain all of them in a matter that would make alot of sense, couple examples on top of my mind:

1-Gantz games: there was alot of mysteries resolving around the "game". What was its purpose? Why the rules? Who made it? How were people choosen to join gantz and how did gantz get a hold on their "form" and memorys? How did the powerful gun system worked? None of this got any decent answers, he just dodged the question. The God like aliens said it was all man made, and that hardly explains anything and i doubt any more light will be shun upon it. This fells like the author pulled a half assed explanation, hell this is as good as if he had come by and said something along the lines "it is magic just go with it my dear readers"

2-The german dude responsible for spreading gantz around the world. Another very poor explanation, it is stated that his daughter somehow picked up the god aliens signals and the german guy decided to use the information to its own financial gains. Now how does spreading gantz balls around the world and creating a death match game brings in any sort of income? In any logical world if you wanted to make money with gantz technology you would either sell it to the military/anyone willing to pay or use the much superior gear to seize whatever u wanted creating the game just makes no sense in terms of making money.

3-Gantz weird mal-functions: gantz started behaving strangely, at first the players could not be seen or heard and neither could the aliens but that changed. At the italian mission (the one that looks like it was in rome and had gants teams from all over the world) gantz even shutdown completely and was behaving erratic. Nothing was even mention about why any of these things happened.

4-The vampires: they were such a big part of the gantz universe and vanished in thin air without any sort of conclusion.

I liked some of the concepts introduced on the room of truth like humans being matter and nothing more but what was present there was far from being enough to explain everything the series has presented. Also since the mission against the 100 pointer i think the author set the enemie bar way too high, nothing presented so far could compare to nura but that aint really a big issue. I guess i just fell a bit cheated he cant explain everything he made up and he choose for the easy way out, give short answers and pretent some of the things werent even there.
    Last edited by Unholy; March 04, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Well we got an answer.. there are two parts to it though. I can accept that humans built this technology and put it to use dicking people over. In fact I think that's a great explanation. What I don't like is part 2, where this technology was communicated telepathically to some kid with down-syndrome, for the purpose of fighting and defeating a bunch of guys that the god aliens could easily just wipe out on their own anyway.

2. The missions were a form of gambling. It brings in a lot of money just like any other event. Could he make more selling it to the military? Perhaps.. but why give up all that power? Keeping it for himself makes a lot more sense to me.

3. Presumably the aliens were somehow blocking many of the functions of the Gantz balls as they were approaching the planet. OR perhaps the god aliens were responsible again, "just because".

4. Yep.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member GAT-X252's Avatar
    Country
    Peru
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's not forget Sebastian, maybe he was there in order to keep things in control and not letting the germans take over the world..or something.
    (キタ━━━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━━━ !!!!!)

心臓がドキドキドキドキ!!!!

06/25/09 - Goodnight Sweet Prince

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

this latest arc has to be the worst. i miss the manga when it was just on a smaller scale life or death missions.
    I'm here for the PoT and Gantz.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah it's not so bad. Next few will be pretty interesting probably.

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    1. Well we got an answer.. there are two parts to it though. I can accept that humans built this technology and put it to use dicking people over. In fact I think that's a great explanation. What I don't like is part 2, where this technology was communicated telepathically to some kid with down-syndrome, for the purpose of fighting and defeating a bunch of guys that the god aliens could easily just wipe out on their own anyway.

2. The missions were a form of gambling. It brings in a lot of money just like any other event. Could he make more selling it to the military? Perhaps.. but why give up all that power? Keeping it for himself makes a lot more sense to me.

3. Presumably the aliens were somehow blocking many of the functions of the Gantz balls as they were approaching the planet. OR perhaps the god aliens were responsible again, "just because".

4. Yep.
    1- We still got very few answer, the gantz "game" consisted of almost the entire manga the last arc being the exception and the only answer we got concerning all that was "humans did it". None of the other questions i posted were answered and never will be, i also agree that a down-syndrome girl randomly picking up the signals and her father interpreting in property and building it is pretty ridiculous and far fetch but nothing we can do about it.

2-I dont recall they saying that it was a gamble for money but i might be wrong since it has being so long. Still there were plenty of easier ways to make money with gantz technology, he could rob banks with it or build his own private army and seize control of the world, going with a life or death game sounds much more complicated and less rewarding.

3-This is just you guessing i believe but we were never given any sort of proper explanation, it is just an answered mystery and i doubt he will bother going back and explaining what was really going on.

One of i dont really like is this retarded shounen development we are getting on the last few chapters. For once the "alien hero" just being that insanely superior than anyone of his own race is hard to take but thats not whats truly bothering me.What seriously bothers me is he killing the american team and asking to fight kurono or he is gonna drop the ship on the Earth, there are hundreds of gantz players inside the ship they wouldnt just sit there watching it calmly, in fact if all those ganterz as much as sneeze on that "alien hero" direction there would be no way he could ever evade all of it. But instead we are stuck with a one on one between kurono and the "last boss" in the most moronic scenario possible where everybody will just sit watching with the fate of the world in check, sounds alot like any generic shounen out there dosent it?

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

2. Sounds a whole lot more fun than world domination tbh

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

3. The giants were seen to be messing with the Gantz man's abilities moments before they swamped the apartment with spidermen.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

back to 2. I agree, there are easier ways. Just as there were certainly easier ways for the God aliens to take care of the giants...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I can see where everyone is coming from, I personally don't feel the story has taken a wrong turn. Allow me to explain.

GantZ has always had a disorganized methodology to it. From the beginning of the series, one of the first questions we ask is why. Why the resurrection? Why hunt aliens? Why the vampires all of a sudden? To the current arc: why introduce the little insect cretins and then ignore them for the remainder of it? Why were such terrible questions asked to the seeming gods of the universe?

None of these questions have had an exact answer provided. Even at the beginning of the series, there was weird shit happening that was never answered. We haven't even had a guideline drawn out for us on more important and viewed things, like equipment(guns, suits, etc.). I just looked at another thread in this forum asking how come this kid's suit regenerated, when a chapter or two ago it was drained. How come? We weren't even given a proper guideline for how the suit functions in the first place! Maybe suit regenerates for kids. Maybe they just regenerate after awhile. Who knows! Oku has chosen to left us out on all sorts of "how comes."

I think this is one of the primary themes of GantZ: not exactly an unexpected factor but a "why" factor without explanation. You thought when Oku presented a god to us, we'd get answers? Lol. I understand there are some issues with the manga, like a disappearance/reappearance of a certain beard, but the why factor has prevalent all the way through. Oku could have easily pulled us aside and explained a few goodies about the plot or the equipment or ANYTHING but he really hasn't. Not in depth at least. Not once. It's not a daunting task to do either. I think he's done it on purpose.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3