Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: An Ambitious American Mangaka's Journey

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner xchainlinkx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up An Ambitious American Mangaka's Journey

Just like every other manga artist out there, my goal is to eventually have an anime made. Before I go into my two current projects, here's a little background on myself. (If you want to skip these first two paragraphs go ahead I don't mind) ^^;

I've been an avid gamer for the longest time and transitioning into the manga scene was quite difficult with many other issues laid on top of me in the last months. I combated many habitual and health problems, from excessive, unproductive use of the internet, YouTube, and Facebook, to back problems. たいへんむずかしいですよ。

After many months of struggling to get into the habit of drawing and writing, despite my main project being worked on and off for about 5 years, I now managed to get myself fully productive! It was quite a day with a significant synchronicity when my recent triumph over my hardships has begun. It was a Friday morning and I decided to close down my Facebook, which caused about half of all of my distractions. When I logged in to do so, Doug Walker, who I was following, posted that he will be at a local anime convention just 10 minutes from my home. I was blown away by it. I had no other plans on that day so I decided to go and meet him. As most of you know (I hope.) Doug is better known as “The Nostalgia Critic.” So I went to the convention called “Ramencon” and I had a lot of fun! There were many events and great cosplayers and stuff you can buy, even an artist corner where people were selling their own works and opening commissions and whatnot. So I got Doug Walker to sign a drawing I made of my main character which I will go into in a moment. And after that day concluded, I decided to really begin my journey as a mangaka.
    I got a new scanner and uploaded almost all of my drawings onto deviantArt, and now am working on coloring before I begin commissions. I made a ton of progress in the last month alone which I never would have if I didn't go to that convention. So enough about my personal life story about how I pulled myself into this, lets get on with my manga pieces.

========

Title: Black Medicine
    Genre: Action, Zombie-Survival, Horror, One-Shot, Conspiracy
    Suggested Audience: Teens and Up. Contains language and violence.

The first one I'll summarize is my one-shot piece called “Black Medicine.” Basically it's a zombie-survival story where the protagonist, John Kimble, is actually succumbed into the zombie virus. He remains conscious throughout his troubles yet maintains no control over his body. After many horrific events, he finds himself cured of the disease from the help of some underground scientists. Near the end it gets more action-packed in a Shounen way, but I won't spoil anything. The western name for the main character is due to the location being set in Chicago. Might not seem like a manga at first, but I do aim for that art style and that's what counts in my opinion. The reason for this one-shot is to help me test the waters and get me going, also to help me focus on something else since my main project is such an enormous piece with a lot of thought put into it and I just needed something to help me leverage it off of my shoulders.

Title: The Spirit of War
    Genre: Action, Adventure, Military, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Suggested Audience: Mid to late teens and older. Contains violence, explicit language, sexually suggestive scenes.

Now as for my major piece. The story tries to merge the Shounen and Seinen formulas together in a strange way, especially later on...Anyways! It begins on a fantasy, futuristic world of Overon. There are four super-power nations, and our nine hero's are assembled into the Special Task Force for the country of Rhondrallis. The leader, Dreadnaught Crow Neverborn, was originally trained as a lone assassin, super-soldier under a once-secret military project. His key ability is to adapt to any environment, but the one that stands out the most are his prosthetic limbs that carries deadly blades with useful utilities. Crow is assigned to lead Rhondrallis “foundation for all operations” as they are first sent in to dispatch the four leaders of the elements.
    Each of his squad mates take important roles throughout their journey. Though some of them don't get along, and though Crow first struggles to get a hand for leadership, they eventually find themselves doing great things once thought impossible.
    The world they all live on has four sentient races. The first are humans; no explanation needed. There are also Hulks, who are enormous beings with great strength, and when they age they usually gain great political and strategic wisdom. Xaelins are a rather mysterious race of great intellect and wisdom of the universe. They are tall, yet skinny creatures with a single eye covering up most of their head. Xaelins are the only race who are able to master and manipulate time, space, and matter through magic. The fourth race are Karokauvs. They are an ancient race that has existed for centuries, though have been underground for many of them. These are dragon-like beings with great adaptability power and agility, as well as possessing greater strength than humans. Their skin is made of scales and have beaks that carry sharp fangs of their ancestors. Karokauvs are a proud race, so much so they even have their own separate language, second to the global language, and are one of the four super power nations which used to only allowed Karokauf beings in. Now the Karokauf Empire is now much more open to all races, and is embracing the global language more and more.
    The four super powers include Rhondrallis, The Karokauf Empire, The Federation for a New World, and the Xin Republic. Each of these nations utilizes a mix of advance technology, magic, and divine powers in their armies, complete with their own mix of unique combatants. Rhondrallis tries to use the best of the best, which have been completely shown through their technology which seem many years ahead of all the other nations. The FNW are trying to catch up to Rhondrallis in terms of technology, though have made great strides in their magic and divine powers. The Xin Republic maintains a more traditional approach to their army, keeping their rectangular symbolism in their weapons and armor, and going for a more steam-punkish style mixed in with a little Asian culture. The Karokauf utilizes organic matter for all of their weapons and armor. Though the nation is built upon the honor of the dragon, they utilize every bone and scale of every fallen dragon (not karokauvs but their evolutionary ancestors) into their technology. They feel if a dragon is left to rot to the earth it would be a waste of his or her life and body. They create a most unique style with their “Zerg-like” weapons, armor, and even vehicles, which all have powerful regenerative properties.
    Of course death is pretty much irrelevant (almost) thanks to the discovery of Resurrection and divine magics. There are limits however to how someone can be revived. It's not as if you can wave your hands in the air and suddenly someone with a bullet in his head will start walking again. Organic matter Mages are needed to recover tissue, and even that will take time and concentration which is scarce on the battlefield. On the other hand, a simple medic with the right nano-technology to recover a victim will be much more efficient and user friendly. You also need a cleric of some sort, any which can cull spirits towards him or her to bring the spirit back into the body. But with the research and technology at the time, a soul is lost permanently after about an hour of a victim being dead, and resurrection attempts after that period of time will yield...consequences.

This is a world with many complexities that if I continued on describing it, I may spoil something. I have 7 or 8 arcs thought out and summarized, along with a list of side characters that will be revealed throughout the story. Even made a list of potential flaws I might have with this series and had solutions to counter them. This is something that has been in my head for at least 5 years and I'll be damned if I can't get something out of this, and I'm going to work hard to get this story turned into an anime. And after I get the results I want, think I'll work on a biography-manga before I move on to other ideas I have in mind.

What do I need now? Well I'm working on patience for one thing...hehe...
    But also if you like my ideas, please support me by checking out my deviantArt page, commenting on my pictures and watching me on there. When I figure out how I want to color and shade I will be opening commissions to help motivate me towards my goals. Anyways here's my deviant art account. My OC's are on there if you want some more information on the characters. Support me if you like these ideas!
    http://xchainlinkx.deviantart.com/

Also do plan on starting my own productions company sometime that would be producing mostly manga stuff. Perhaps anime as well but that would be way further down the line. For now though I'm just a one-man team. An assistant writer or artist to help ease the load, or even a critic could be a lot of help for such a major project. Or anyone who can give advice at the very least. Want to make this piece as perfect as possible.

Thank you all for taking the time to read through all of this. Hope you enjoy and stay tuned!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: An Ambitious American Mangaka's Journey

I'm going to say a few things that are sort of criticisms, but realize I'm saying this because I want you to improve and reach your goals. I'm not saying it to go against you, rather I'm saying it to support you.

You have potential, but the vast majority of your art seems very 2d face-looking-at-camera and nothing else. I realize a lot of them are portraits, but even in the ones that aren't portraits, it seems like you have a very hard time drawing characters from any angle aside from them looking at the camera or to the side. (sometimes you mix this up with a head looking at the camera and the body to the side, but it's the same thing.)

anyway, I'm not going to go too much into the fact that you need to improve because you do have potential and I'm sure you know you have a long way ahead of you anyway. What I would actually recommend is to force yourself to draw a manga. It doesn't matter if the story is shit, just draw something. You have to teach yourself what goes into creating a manga. Drawing characters from all angles, doing all kinds of movements with all kinds of expressions. This is experience you're simply not going to get if you're going to keep drawing pictures the way you're drawing them now.

So that's what I have to say, I guess. If you want to really be a professional one day, you'll have to start with that much at least.
    Last edited by DoctorApollo; October 12, 2012 at 06:34 AM.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda funny. When I went on hiatus of drawing I went straight to poses for some reason when I should've just started on portraits. A little frustration made me want to take another month or two away from drawing and I returned going back to basics with face portraits. I did try doing an upward angle shot on one of my drawings which I know I need to work more on. Sort of what I had in mind with trying to figure out how I want to color and shade so I can use commissions as a way to help me practice by offering them at cheap prices under $20.

But anyways yea I see what you mean. Though I did discover a couple useful tutorials on drawing characters in eagle-eye and frog-view angles, though I haven't utilized them yet. Perhaps I can sketch portions of either of my manga projects without giving any spoilers, practicing with action scenes, or perhaps friendly duels among allies, stuff like that.

I appreciate the advice. If I didn't hear it from you it probably wouldn't have crossed my mind. ^^;

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member DoctorApollo's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly it, you don't really know what you're going to need until you need it, y'know? That's why I think you'd benefit so much from creating a manga from scratch, because all those things you never even thought of are suddenly there. Even if it's not your stories, you can come up with a story to practice on. I guess what I'm saying is that in order to know what you'll need to draw, you have to start drawing it. Then you see what you need.

Anyway, I PM'd you something that might interest you, so you can just respond to me there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess that's sort of the point of my one-shot story, to help me realize what I'm missing so I can look back and find out what I need to improve on. If it gets a lot of attention I might turn it into a series and expand on it, though it might not be likely due to what I really want to have made.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The only amateurs I know that had an anime, they actually made it themselves lol
    Traces of The Past : InkBlazers | Batoto

New Reply