Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Opinion?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay!

5 27.78%
  • Nay!

12 66.67%
  • Pollwhore

1 5.56%
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Timeskip YAY or NAY

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member syx's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Timeskip YAY or NAY

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    I liked the Mashima timeskip in which He made the world more powerful to be on pair with the main characters (Sorta)
    Wow, it's really interesting to see how opinions can differ (I'm the complete opposite). But let's not start talking about other mangas or comparisons.

I wouldn't have a problem with a timeskip per se. The problem is that I have made bad experiences with timeskips so far. Just to name some of them (without going into detail):
    • Fairy Tails timeskip was an absolute no-go for me
    • Naruto Part 2 started good, but went downhill after/during the Pain arc imo
    • the first two arcs of One Piece (after the timeskip) really disappointed me

While I'm confident that Togashi could indeed handle a timeskip, I'm afraid of Togashis note in the last chapter before the timeskip:

"Next chapter we will have a 3 year timeskip.
    Starting next issue, this manga will be on a hiatus for 30 years in order for me to prepare everything. Stay tuned!"

• ⁞ Avatar by xhunter924 ⁞ Signature by ThePowha ⁞ •

• ⁞ Tower of God Section136th FloorToG Section's Lighthouse ⁞ •

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member DraMas26's Avatar
    Country
    Albania
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah lol I forgot that Togashi will probably use the timeskip as an excuse to go on an even bigger hiatus. He'll say he needs time to give them new character designs lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing a timeskip and after Chapter 339 I think a timeskip would make much sense. It basically concludees the first part of HxH as Gon finally acheives his goal of finding his father. Now he needs a new goal and new goal = timeskip from what I've usually seen. In a way almost all the 4 main protagonists have somewhat achieved their goals so far. Killua got a friend, Leorio is going to become a doctor, Kurapika has gotten a lot of his clan's eyes back.

Togashi has never done a timeskip before in any series he has written so I really want to see his approach to it.

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Nay, Togashi doesn't seem to be the Time Skip type but a couple months wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't like for years to have gone by, that would suck.
    The world is in a frenzy bout Koukin going into the Dark continent, Zodiacs have to decide to hunt him or not, Gon is presumably trying to find a new adventure, Killua is traveling with his lil Bro.....The manga starting 2-3 months after that last chapter with Beyond being hunted or other Characters proceeding on to something else wouldn't be bad at all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member thatguy3331's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm mostly nay on timeskips but they can be useful.

I'm mostly nay because not only do I like the fact that Gon's a kid in a dangerous world and having him suddenly be 16 would ruin it for me, but I haven't exactly heard a really fantastic timeskip going well recently if at all...

Small unimportant rant
    Spoiler show

The only possible good thing I see in any timeskip is that Leorio will be out of medical school and he can be more involved in the story in SOME WAY! (his presence in the election arc however was appriciated and enjoyed, even though I'm not quite sure how that'll stack up for future events.)

Togashi being Togashi he'll probably do something to throw us all in for a loop, so I guess we'll just have to see which side of the bed he wakes up on when we get off Hiatus.
    for anyone who likes my HxH mots, find em all here! and here too! My blog

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    So far most of you voted NAY and for all very good reason. Personally, I leaned to the timeskip side purely out of seeing how main characters will physically look badass in the future and how be sexy their power levels have becomed compared to their former shells. But that's just it, everything will be become moot compromising the consistency and progression of the story akin to Dragonball Z (kill the next big thing and then have your offsprings kill the next big cheese and then your offspirng's offspring kill the next big potato). It does seem like a tempting notion at first but I do admit it does comes of as lazy and uninspired.
    Not all of them are horribly wrong. I think the timeskip in One Piece didn't do any damage, but that's just it. It's there and barely contributed to the plot. Other than giving Nami bigger boobs and missed opportunity of Luffy magically mastering Haki instead of us actually seeing it progress. But in the end if you ever look back and wonder what the heck everyone was doing for 2 years, then that's a problem. And I've never watched a series where I didn't think that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Raad View Post
    I don't agree with some of what was said about character developpement, I think we've seen quite enough of the "innocent child facing a cruel world" aspect, and I believe it'd be a good time to take a look at the fruit of that long upbringing, what kind of man will Gon become in the future? I don't think I'm the only one who asked himself this question, and I don't mean his badassery... Of course, I'd rather see this show up gradually in a continuous timeline, but taking into account Togashi, it would be understandable to wish for it to happen sooner rather than -possibly- never.
    Age doesn't really have much to do with that. Actually if Gon comes back after a timeskip and is drastically changed from how he is now, that innocent naive kid that we've apparently seen enough of, I would be pretty pissed. Not because he changed per say, but that the author decided to crop out half of his character development because it wasn't important to the plot or something.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ish3's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Please refrain from mentioning OP for "example timeskips". Unlike most mangaka Oda waited 13 years and he's the slow turtle of manga. In short he slowly and delicately develops the plot and characters. So even if time passed because he didn't want to show training arcs more than likely their will be flashes back into what they'd learned. Fishman Island is the reintro punk hazard was the starter and I'm expecting a huge wave of flashy bouts and battles from 2013 and on. Those who are OP fans know to be patient with plot but I will admit I was expecting him to do the story a little different this time. Sorry for the off topic ness.

HxH is a profound story. I forgot who said it but whoever said "Togashi doesn't do timeskips" must have never read Yu Yu Hakusho. I will say that was forced though seeing it was a completely different time contract and he didn't get along with wsj but still. It's been done before. I think through his arcs he'd prefer these characters slowly grow throughout. We might get a short one during this outside world exploration though. I'd say eight ten months maybe.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner drsckarasu's Avatar
    Country
    Ukraine
    Post Thanks / Like

In a possible timeskip Gin joins Beyond crew and they will go to the dark continent where even they, with their great power fail and disappear obscurity. Back returns only one who miraculously survived and passes the news that they all were killed by some monsters, and that they was wrong in their expedition and goals. But Gon doesn't believe that Jin dead, he wants to find him and save him. In timeskip Gon gathers a team to go there and find his dad. So after timeskip we see grown up Gon with his gang, that ready to enter the dark continent.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a timeskip would only work if there would be something else filling in the story...let's say take an arc that would last 1 year in manga time...and don't focus on everyone...and after the arc ends show the results of the timeskip...much like how Leorio was treated I guess, even Kurapika...

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3