Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: On a 1-5 Scale, how much do you care about Horyang's story?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 (I care deeply.)

    1 5.88%
  • 4 (I definitely care.)

    12 70.59%
  • 3 (I care...I guess.)

    3 17.65%
  • 2 (meh.)

    0 0%
  • 1 (I don't care at all.)

    1 5.88%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

  1. #1
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    I'm sure you've all heard me mention how much a love it when my polls are divided. So you can imagine the smile on my face in seeing that the poll "Will Koon's group eventually pull together or fall apart?" was dead even.

    Now onto the review!


    Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Ah, measuring Baam's power by seeing how hard he kicks your ass. A bold plan!


    The Plot

    After we saw Baam's team finishing up the quick defeat of thier opposition, we got to see the real reason the plot started at the 28 Floor. That reason is the story of Horyang and the "Devil of the Right Arm", his former friend, Beniamino Cassano. Who is apparently the one who beat Hatsu and a person Horyang has been searching for. But we'll get into all that later.

    Koon, for his part, didn't seem quite convinced by Emile telling him that Baam is alive but he wasn't able to dismiss it either. Ultimately, he set it aside so that he could concentrate on his next little project, "catching" the man who defeated Hatsu Beniamino Cassano; setting himself on a collision course with Horyang and possibly the rest of Baam's group.

    Much of the second chapter was devoted to Horyang and Cassano's backstory as test subjects and how he got to where he is now. It was surprisingly in depth and seemed to put just about everything about his origin as a living ignition weapon on the table.

    After Horyang was done with his tale, and everyone had bedded down for the night, he calls Baam out to a secluded area and explains his original purpose of joining the group was to confirming whether or not Baam was like him, a living ignition weapon. He ignites his arm and steps forward to find out.

    The Art

    The art in both these chapter looked, at times, unpolished. The first chapter was the better of the two, but only managed to look about average. Mainly, because any character who was speaking was usually reasonably well drawn. The problem was that most everybody else usually wasn't.

    The second chapter, which was Horyang's tale, just didn't look very good. It had issues with lighting, shading, detail, and background issues coming and going throughout. This could have been a side effect of the chapter's impressive length but, whatever the cause, I wasn't impressed by the result. The greatest problem was how it failed to really capture and express the emotions of everyone listening to Horyang's story. From the way it was drawn it's hard to even notice Arkraptor in the room, that shouldn't happen.

    Overall Rating

    The preluede to the 30th floor took an interesting turn with "The Hunt for the Devil of the Right Arm". It's a shame the art just hasn't been able to hold up it's end so far.

    I give them a 3 out of 5


    Points of Interest


    The Hunt for the Devil

    Randomly being caught on camera by tourists. The bane of Waldo and Carmen Sandiego alike.


    It seems Baam's group and Koon's group may run into each other even before the 30th Floor, with Cassano drawing attention from both groups. For his own part it remains unclear exactly what sort of person "the Devil of the Right Arm" actually is; right now he's just something everyone's chasing.

    However, I'd be kind of surprised if this ends well. At least for Horyang and Cassano. I can't put my finger on what it is but something about this situation carries the aura of tragedy. So I am not expecting their reunion to be a happy one.


    The Human Ignition Weapon

    Such a lonely guy...


    Horyang's backstory explained a lot about him. He ability to go from a gentle person to scary person is representative of the two aspects of himself. One being the human, the other being the weapon living within.

    His interest in Baam also apparently stems from him seeing something in him that made him wonder if he was a human ignition weapon like himself. This is a concept that, while interesting, seems unlikely as none of his attacks look like they "ignite". The red skeletal defense seems like the only skill with even a ghost of chance of being an "ignition" skill.

    It also should be noted that Headon seems to have personally freed Horyang. This is no small thing. Why or for what purpose I cannot say but it's certainly something to keep in mind going forward.

    The Factory

    You, sir, are no Willy Wonka.


    The closer we get to the factory the more apparent it becomes that it is not a nice place run by umpa lumpas. Emile, and now Horyang, drive home the point that the 30th Floor is a place where bad people do bad things. This will almost certainly play a big role in the big showdown on the 30th Floor.

    The characters in Tower of God are not exactly champions of justice with an iron clad sense of right and wrong but it seems like the factory is the kind of place where the heating system is fueled by pure kitten blood. That kind of thing has a way of making even characters that dwell in moral grey areas, like Androssi, smite some evil.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 11, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Hestia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    21
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Most of my interest regarding these chapters is focused on the fact that A) Koon's group and Viole's group are looking like they're meeting before the factory round. and B) A lot of things are focusing on the Workshop.

    I'm not sure if everyone is as interested in the Workshop as me but I think it is going to play a big role throughout the rest of the series, maybe not the Workshop directly but its leaders(McSeth, Flux,etc.) and especially the weapons it has created.

  4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  5. #3
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    A good review, not your best, but at times, SIU was responsible for a lackluster story, so there wasn't a huge amount you could do with it. :P

    Horyang's arm was always a source of more interest to me than Wangnan's murky past (I've expressed the opinion before that I could care less about Wangnan, especially as SIU has done exactly nothing to make Wangnan interesting to us, aside from the ring thing, but Karaka has one as well, so who knows), so to some degree, I am interested in how this story plays out.

    If the question is, "Do I really care about Horyang in the grand scheme of things?," I would have to reply, "No." I care about seeing Androssi and the minor characters that we see along the way until we reach that magical moment aren't that interesting to me.

    I did like how there was a grand explanation for this whole living ignition weapon thing and we didn't just get cheated with some lame ass explanation, especially how Headon was brought in to the whole thing. In last chapter's afterword, SIU did say that the Arm of the Devil was connected to the lobster, so whether or not you want to believe that that makes the lobster a living ignition weapon, I can't say. It could just be that it's a similar idea, but for the side that says it's not a living ignition weapon, they do have a good point as it's not how Baam fights. Horyang's whole combat ability surrounds the Arm of the Devil, from increases in strength, the actual Devil ignition attack, to a speed boost, to that shield thing, although the actual Devil ignition attack could be an amalgamation of all of the weaker forms that the Devil can take on. Like the answer to whether or not Baam's lobster is a living ignition weapon, we'll see how the Arm of the Devil works next week.

    I agree that the art was fairly poor these last two chapters and that did detract from the story. The introduction of Cassano with that picture was horribly drawn, and, as you pointed out, the whole scene where you could gauge the reactions of Baam's team looked awful.

    While the Workshop/Factory doesn't appear to be a very warm place, it does fit in with the theme of the world of the Tower not being a very nice place. Look at how Androssi had to kill/injure the other girls in her family in order to get any recognition. Look at how Koon's father casts out his sons at times. Rachel has been convinced that she'll succeed in the Tower if she "kills" Baam. Headon's test for irregulars literally separates the men from the boys immediately, as if you're afraid of the eel or can't survive in that concentration of shinsoo, you're a failure, which, of course, raises the question of how many irregulars have failed the test. We know that Rachel failed the test (although she apparently hitched a ride on Baam's entrance door, even though she left first somehow, and wasn't truly supposed to be selected as an irregular, but that's all water under the bridge at this point), but it could point to the fact that all of the irregulars that the Tower has known recently have been godly fighting figures, as the weaker irregulars are always immediately weeded out. Androssi even tells Baam that he can't save everyone and if he's not willing to hurt people, he needs to stay out of the way, as the truth is that in a cold, cold world, you need to be willing to be just as cold and heartless as everyone else.

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #4
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    If the question is, "Do I really care about Horyang in the grand scheme of things?," I would have to reply, "No." I care about seeing Androssi and the minor characters that we see along the way until we reach that magical moment aren't that interesting to me.
    Haha, but by this, you can throw away many fairly important characters, and then the scheme of things won't be so grand at all...

    ---------- Post added at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Hestia View Post
    Most of my interest regarding these chapters is focused on the fact that A) Koon's group and Viole's group are looking like they're meeting before the factory round. and B) A lot of things are focusing on the Workshop.
    A) certainly seems so - no way it's an accident that both teams noticed the photo in box by accident.
    B) SIU said that the story will focus on Workshop a bit more. And we are getting close to the factory round
    Erfworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

  8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #5
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity TheBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Onett
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Yeah I noticed the artwork too.
    But at least for me, someone used to reading HunterxHunter xD, thats not a problem at all.
    What matters is the plot, and about that I have never had any complaints.

    Anyway, Its seems Headon have lots of hidden plans... He is messing with Fug, the 10 families and the Factories simultanisly lol
    Now that is someone that likes to stir things up xD

  10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #6
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    A good review, not your best, but at times, SIU was responsible for a lackluster story, so there wasn't a huge amount you could do with it. :P

    Horyang's arm was always a source of more interest to me than Wangnan's murky past (I've expressed the opinion before that I could care less about Wangnan, especially as SIU has done exactly nothing to make Wangnan interesting to us, aside from the ring thing, but Karaka has one as well, so who knows), so to some degree, I am interested in how this story plays out.

    If the question is, "Do I really care about Horyang in the grand scheme of things?," I would have to reply, "No." I care about seeing Androssi and the minor characters that we see along the way until we reach that magical moment aren't that interesting to me.

    I did like how there was a grand explanation for this whole living ignition weapon thing and we didn't just get cheated with some lame ass explanation, especially how Headon was brought in to the whole thing. In last chapter's afterword, SIU did say that the Arm of the Devil was connected to the lobster, so whether or not you want to believe that that makes the lobster a living ignition weapon, I can't say. It could just be that it's a similar idea, but for the side that says it's not a living ignition weapon, they do have a good point as it's not how Baam fights. Horyang's whole combat ability surrounds the Arm of the Devil, from increases in strength, the actual Devil ignition attack, to a speed boost, to that shield thing, although the actual Devil ignition attack could be an amalgamation of all of the weaker forms that the Devil can take on. Like the answer to whether or not Baam's lobster is a living ignition weapon, we'll see how the Arm of the Devil works next week.

    I agree that the art was fairly poor these last two chapters and that did detract from the story. The introduction of Cassano with that picture was horribly drawn, and, as you pointed out, the whole scene where you could gauge the reactions of Baam's team looked awful.

    While the Workshop/Factory doesn't appear to be a very warm place, it does fit in with the theme of the world of the Tower not being a very nice place. Look at how Androssi had to kill/injure the other girls in her family in order to get any recognition. Look at how Koon's father casts out his sons at times. Rachel has been convinced that she'll succeed in the Tower if she "kills" Baam. Headon's test for irregulars literally separates the men from the boys immediately, as if you're afraid of the eel or can't survive in that concentration of shinsoo, you're a failure, which, of course, raises the question of how many irregulars have failed the test. We know that Rachel failed the test (although she apparently hitched a ride on Baam's entrance door, even though she left first somehow, and wasn't truly supposed to be selected as an irregular, but that's all water under the bridge at this point), but it could point to the fact that all of the irregulars that the Tower has known recently have been godly fighting figures, as the weaker irregulars are always immediately weeded out. Androssi even tells Baam that he can't save everyone and if he's not willing to hurt people, he needs to stay out of the way, as the truth is that in a cold, cold world, you need to be willing to be just as cold and heartless as everyone else.
    I personally don't think so, based on this page:
    http://i28.mangareader.net/tower-of-...od-1466975.jpg
    When an immortal being like Headon says that it's been a long time since an irregular opened the door, then it must have been a very long time indeed, so I doubt anyone has entered after Urek aside from Baam (and Rachel)

  12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #7
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ThatoneGuy1277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marina Del Rey, CA
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Ok so here is my attempt. Please enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdxeXpAfyU
    ThatoneGuy1277

  14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #8
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Hestia View Post
    Most of my interest regarding these chapters is focused on the fact that A) Koon's group and Viole's group are looking like they're meeting before the factory round. and B) A lot of things are focusing on the Workshop.

    I'm not sure if everyone is as interested in the Workshop as me but I think it is going to play a big role throughout the rest of the series, maybe not the Workshop directly but its leaders(McSeth, Flux,etc.) and especially the weapons it has created.
    I'm very interested in the workshop. Especially with Emile and her "love".

    I'm such a sucker for that kind of thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    A good review, not your best, but at times, SIU was responsible for a lackluster story, so there wasn't a huge amount you could do with it. :P
    As a reviewer, I respect an honest review.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    If the question is, "Do I really care about Horyang in the grand scheme of things?," I would have to reply, "No." I care about seeing Androssi and the minor characters that we see along the way until we reach that magical moment aren't that interesting to me.
    Any chapter without Androssi in it is a chapter that isn't as great as it could be, and that's a fact; but we just have to hold out a little longer...

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I did like how there was a grand explanation for this whole living ignition weapon thing and we didn't just get cheated with some lame ass explanation, especially how Headon was brought in to the whole thing. In last chapter's afterword, SIU did say that the Arm of the Devil was connected to the lobster, so whether or not you want to believe that that makes the lobster a living ignition weapon, I can't say. It could just be that it's a similar idea, but for the side that says it's not a living ignition weapon, they do have a good point as it's not how Baam fights. Horyang's whole combat ability surrounds the Arm of the Devil, from increases in strength, the actual Devil ignition attack, to a speed boost, to that shield thing, although the actual Devil ignition attack could be an amalgamation of all of the weaker forms that the Devil can take on. Like the answer to whether or not Baam's lobster is a living ignition weapon, we'll see how the Arm of the Devil works next week.
    Ahh, I missed that because I tend to skip the afterwords. SIU gives away a little more information than I feel comfortable with and I don't like to be spoiled.

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    While the Workshop/Factory doesn't appear to be a very warm place, it does fit in with the theme of the world of the Tower not being a very nice place. Look at how Androssi had to kill/injure the other girls in her family in order to get any recognition. Look at how Koon's father casts out his sons at times. Rachel has been convinced that she'll succeed in the Tower if she "kills" Baam. Headon's test for irregulars literally separates the men from the boys immediately, as if you're afraid of the eel or can't survive in that concentration of shinsoo, you're a failure, which, of course, raises the question of how many irregulars have failed the test. We know that Rachel failed the test (although she apparently hitched a ride on Baam's entrance door, even though she left first somehow, and wasn't truly supposed to be selected as an irregular, but that's all water under the bridge at this point), but it could point to the fact that all of the irregulars that the Tower has known recently have been godly fighting figures, as the weaker irregulars are always immediately weeded out. Androssi even tells Baam that he can't save everyone and if he's not willing to hurt people, he needs to stay out of the way, as the truth is that in a cold, cold world, you need to be willing to be just as cold and heartless as everyone else.
    Even by the Tower standards this Factory is pretty bad. Using 100,001 kids in an experiment that killed all but two is a pretty epic kind of evil.

    And that was just one experiment

    As for irregulars it's certainly plausible that some have been killed along the way but I doubt there have been all that many. As abc1233 said, Headon came out and said it's been a while since he's let anybody in and if they were more common you'd thing FUG would be collecting an army of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Yeah I noticed the artwork too.
    But at least for me, someone used to reading HunterxHunter xD, thats not a problem at all.
    What matters is the plot, and about that I have never had any complaints.

    Anyway, Its seems Headon have lots of hidden plans... He is messing with Fug, the 10 families and the Factories simultanisly lol
    Now that is someone that likes to stir things up xD
    I try to grade art on a bit of a curve. Perfect comic art to me is on par with the best I think the artist can draw. I'm not sure what I'd do with HunterXHunter though.

    And I agree about Headon. Time to add another mastermind onto the pile.

    ---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatoneGuy1277 View Post
    Ok so here is my attempt. Please enjoy!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdxeXpAfyU

    LOVE your choice of music! The scroll speed was a little to fast for me when things got wordy but still awesome work.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #9
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,564
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    I personally don't think so, based on this page:
    http://i28.mangareader.net/tower-of-...od-1466975.jpg
    When an immortal being like Headon says that it's been a long time since an irregular opened the door, then it must have been a very long time indeed, so I doubt anyone has entered after Urek aside from Baam (and Rachel)
    Perhaps, although that was the first chapter, so SIU could retcon that scene out at some point. Or, that could mean that Baam was the first irregular in a long while who had the ability to pass the test. You'll notice that when Rachel enters ahead of Baam, Headon verbally abuses her and doesn't mention anything about her being the first "irregular" he's seen in a long time, although she did sort of cheat, so he didn't recognize her. We'll find out at some point, probably, but there's not always certainty in SIU's words, especially as he often chooses not to reveal stuff to us. You'll recall how we were going to learn about Karaka, but then SIU decided to hide his face until later.

    It's also unclear what a long time is. In the life of the Tower, a few hundred years (especially as a year in the Tower isn't nearly as long as a year in the real world) might not be that long. I suppose that 1000 years might be considered a long time, as that's how long each Lord rules in turn for.

    ---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I'm very interested in the workshop. Especially with Emile and her "love".

    I'm such a sucker for that kind of thing.
    The Workshop does seem to be just about the most evil thing going around, so it's definitely interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    As a reviewer, I respect on honest review.

    Any chapter without Androssi in it is a chapter that isn't as great as it could be, and that's a fact; but we just have to hold out a little longer...

    Ahh, I missed that because I tend to skip the afterwords. SIU gives away a little more information than I feel comfortable with and I don't like to be spoiled.
    Our interactions wouldn't be the same if there wasn't honesty between us.

    Of course, and hopefully, it won't be more than another 6-7 weeks before we see her.

    Yeah, I know that his afterwords often contain possibly large spoilers, but if you don't read them, you sometimes miss out on things or don't get a clarifying explanation concerning something from a previous chapter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Even by the Tower standards this Factory is pretty bad. Using 100,001 kids in an experiment that killed all but two is a pretty epic kind of evil.

    And that was just one experiment
    Yeah, it is. However, what if almost no one in the Tower knows how the Workshop/Factory works? All they know is that it produces weapons, arms inventories, pockets, lighthouses, and observers from suspendium, and in terms of the Factory Round, the Regulars think that it's just something fun to win items with, not that it represents something cruel and evil.

    The deaths of 99,999 children really is quite reprehensible, and considering that this was just for one experiment (albeit possibly one of the largest experiments that they'd ever undertaken), they could've killed millions and millions of children. The blood of children coat the Factory's deeds, apparently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    As for irregulars it's certainly plausible that some have been killed along the way but I doubt there have been all that many. As abc1233 said, Headon came out and said it's been a while since he's let anybody in and if they were more common you'd thing FUG would be collecting an army of them.
    I'm not arguing that irregulars have made it into the Tower, but that irregulars have entered, but failed Headon's test. Clearly, there aren't many irregulars running around, and there had only been known three irregulars in the Tower for who knows how long, and now we have the addition of Baam (plus the cheater Rachel). There could have been more that didn't make it pass Headon's test. Although, if the Tower allows you in through that teleportation system, it could be argued that you possess the qualities to pass Headon's test, as the four official irregulars that we know of clearly did pass the ball test. Rachel, someone who counts as an irregular but wasn't truly chosen in the same way, shied away from the test, so who knows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I try to grade art on a bit of a curve. Perfect comic art to me is on par with the best I think the artist can draw. I'm not sure what I'd do with HunterXHunter though.

    And I agree about Headon. Time to add another mastermind onto the pile.
    Hunter x Hunter is just an enigma. There's really nothing to do there other than have Togashi as the story writer and bring in a new artist, which clearly won't happen, so nothing's going to happen there.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #10
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Country
    Winterfell
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Perhaps, although that was the first chapter, so SIU could retcon that scene out at some point. Or, that could mean that Baam was the first irregular in a long while who had the ability to pass the test. You'll notice that when Rachel enters ahead of Baam, Headon verbally abuses her and doesn't mention anything about her being the first "irregular" he's seen in a long time, although she did sort of cheat, so he didn't recognize her. We'll find out at some point, probably, but there's not always certainty in SIU's words, especially as he often chooses not to reveal stuff to us. You'll recall how we were going to learn about Karaka, but then SIU decided to hide his face until later.
    Well it would be a pretty major thing for irregulars to be that common, so I'm sure SIU knew from the beginning whether he wanted to make it so or not. Trouble is that Headon had no idea if Baam was worthy or not, right up until Baam started walking to the White Eel, Headon was trying to convince him not to do so. That was the whole point of the test, to see if he is capable otherwise he could have just sent him up straight away. With Rachel, Headon knew that she wasn't the one who opened the door, but she just fell in because of Baam, so he knew straight away that she wasn't capable but he obviously still had plans for her. True, SIU is prone to changing things, but something like this is much more major than simply not revealing Karaka's face until later.

  20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #11
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Slovakia
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    We don't really know if other irregulars had to take the ball test or any test at Headon's place whatsoever (Phantaminum sure didn't have to). Headon could've just made this test in order to trick Rachel and Baam.
    Erfworld

    Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

  22. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  23. #12
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    you guys have a weird way of critiquing the art when it sound like your bashing on the art work left to right

  24. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  25. #13
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by mup View Post
    you guys have a weird way of critiquing the art when it sound like your bashing on the art work left to right
    That's what "critiquing" is, more or less.

    It's not meant in a mean-spirited way but the only way I know to judge artwork is to look at it with a critical eye and ask yourself, within the context of the story, "What didn't work and what did? " If you can spot an imperfection, that's something you need to cover. If you spot something amazing, you need to talk about that too.

    Sometimes it does seem like "bashing" because focusing on the negative is part of what you need to do to rate anything fairly. At least, that's what I think.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  26. #14
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member mup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    That's what "critiquing" is, more or less.

    It's not meant in a mean-spirited way but the only way I know to judge artwork is to look at it with a critical eye and ask yourself, within the context of the story, "What didn't work and what did? " If you can spot an imperfection, that's something you need to cover. If you spot something amazing, you need to talk about that too.

    Sometimes it does seem like "bashing" because focusing on the negative is part of what you need to do to rate anything fairly. At least, that's what I think.
    i understand what you mean tho if SIU had time the quality of the art work would be different if he had a month to prepare and work on the little detail that you mention but he has to write the plot of the chapter draw it out and color it by the dead line that ruff on any artist i always look at art as imperfection that for me is what make art what it is the little details that are uneven that is perfection

  27. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  28. #15
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    United States
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Tower of God Chapter 121 & 122 Review

    Quote Originally Posted by mup View Post
    i understand what you mean tho if SIU had time the quality of the art work would be different if he had a month to prepare and work on the little detail that you mention but he has to write the plot of the chapter draw it out and color it by the dead line that ruff on any artist i always look at art as imperfection that for me is what make art what it is the little details that are uneven that is perfection
    I'm astonished by what SIU can do, as drawing an acceptable stick figure is leagues beyond my talent.

    But what I was always taught is that art is about relaying intent. For example, if you draw a picture of a "table", you want people to look at that picture and think "this is a table". As long as they can do that it's a success. If you want them to think of a "specific type of table" then the artwork has to step it up in order to more effectively relay that. Comics step that all the way up to relaying a "complex story." How well the intent of chapters are relayed through the artwork is the only thing that's really important. Detail, lighting, and such is only really important as tools for helping to do that

    I don't consider perfection photorealisim or anything like that. It's when the artwork helps tell the author's story seamlessly. To me that's the threshold for perfection.
    Last edited by Jammin; December 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

  29. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts