Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin 41 Discussion / 42 Predictions

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member DassJennir's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin 41 Discussion / 42 Predictions

The "Ape Titan" was more likely a scout from some unknow faction considering how surprised he was when seeing humans fighting and killing titans.
    Shingeki no Kyojin

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Beatrice's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    It has been over 24 hours since the chapter has been released, so I'm dropping the spoiler tags.

Two things to note:

-If it is possible to force people to transform into titans as what might have happened in Connie's village, it is possible that the titan that met Ymir was someone that knew Ymir previously. This would work with the idea that Ymir did not intend to transform into a titan and rampaged uncontrollably after the wall fell. She somehow was able to figure out how to transform back while this person did not.

-The titan that attacked Ilse only did so after she told it to "get lost from this world." and ran away when it appeared to go insane. Had she not said that, it is possible that it never does anything like that.
    A - Sound reasonable, but that can hardly be it.
    I recommend the Norse, Ymir is the God of Titans, on the same level as Odin, the ruler of all Norse Gods.
    And even then, for someone that just knew Ymir previously it's way too off to regard her as "Sama" and "Great".

B - Seems more like the Titan just figured out it's actually not Ymir but just another snack.

Quote Quote:
    He too must be an undercover titan....
    While I don't know about him being an Half-Titan it's quite evident he is an Ally of Annie.

Spoiler show

"The Right Flank is where she came from"

Spoiler show

"I have a feeling she is looking for someone....Eren"

Spoiler show

Reiner: But wasn't Rivaille's squad Eren is a part of supposed to be in charge of the right flank where she came from?
    Where might Eren really be?
    Armin to Reiner: "He should be in the safest spot....the back of the center."

Spoiler show

Look at what Area of her Body Reiner is held at.
    Spoiler show

And Annie headed straight to Eren next.

Spoiler show

Reiner being the one who proposed to save the Titan "Eren", Jean even questions if he's out of his mind.
    Annie being the sole one to go along.
    Last edited by Beatrice; January 14, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
    "Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice."

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice View Post
    While I don't know about him being an Half-Titan it's quite evident he is an Ally of Annie.
    If by quite evident you mean there is some possibility, then yes.

Annie immediately running off to the center of the formation to find Eren is indeed questionable, but even if Reiner told her his location, that does not automatically mean he is her ally. There are at least two plausible explanations as to why he might tell her other than being her ally:
    1) He thinks his life expectancy will increase exponentially if he is not near an intelligent titan. Letting her rampage through the whole operation also makes it less likely that they survive to make it back to safety.
    2) He thinks that the only person capable of taking on an intelligent titan is another intelligent titan.

Reiner wanting to keep the titan alive to possibly gain more knowledge is not indicative of anything.
    Evaluating Annie's motivation behind that statement is impossible given we know absolutely nothing about her goals and almost nothing about her motivations. (The only thing we know about her motivations is her father's statement for her to view the whole world as her enemy)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I just intervene and say let's not turn this into a "is Reiner a titan" debate, as we have a thread about that a few floors down below.

Quote Quote:
    One thing I don't necessarily understand is what makes the "dumber" (for lack of a better term) titans decide whether a titan is to be considered hostile or not? I mean they just attacked Ymir, as they did Eren, and if she indeed did belong to the other side (until we get confirmation) how do they identify or decide to attack certain titans? We know Annie had some type of command that worked for her but Ymir didn't exactly do anything of the sort other than being aggressive though these titans seemed to belong to another group, the one outside, still I do wonder how they identify or decide to attack another titan how do they even distinguish one another.
    I think it does have to do with being hostile. Ymir clearly threw the first punch before they ganged up on her. As did Eren, when he took out a decent number before they preyed on him (during the second time the collossal titan appeared). There's probably more to it, but in Ymir and Eren's case, they did attack first.

As for whether Ymir is alive or dead, I'm leaning more with alive. While it's not clear how she lost her limbs, there's the possibility for her to grow them back (similar to Eren and his tooth, but on a larger scale I guess). It just seems too easy to die when you compare to what Annie did in the forest. Didn't she get mauled, manage to escape in her human form and then transform again in less than five minutes. Experience might be the difference, but compared to Eren, Ymir doesn't seem like a noob.

From the plot's perspective, she has the potential to provide insight into some behind the scenes stuff. I don't think Christa knows the entire story. And frankly, we should start moving to the revelation about the human-turned-titan thing in the next few chapters. As we've learned a few months ago, there is no breach in the wall.
    Last edited by Knifeshade; January 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    I think it does have to do with being hostile. [url=http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/40/41]Ymir clearly threw the first punch[url] before they ganged up on her. As did Eren, when he took out a decent number before they preyed on him (during the second time the collossal titan appeared). There's probably more to it, but in Ymir and Eren's case, they did attack first.
    Unless titans have a collective memory/conscious or higher level thinking skills, there were titans that showed hostility to Eren before he attacked them. (e.g. this titan and this one)

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't expect him to take a jab at every titan before they all crawled over him. What I mean is, as soon as a titan see you attacking them and not eating a human, you're an enemy. Case in point of your second URL, the smaller titan saw Eren emerge from the titan's belly and having its head stomped on before he jumped at Eren.

I'm sticking with my theory for now unless we see titans smashing Eren/Ymir when they're just chilling around doing nothing.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't expect him to take a jab at every titan before they all crawled over him. What I mean is, as soon as a titan see you attacking them and not eating a human, you're an enemy. Case in point of your second URL, the smaller titan saw Eren emerge from the titan's belly and having its head stomped on before he jumped at Eren.

I'm sticking with my theory for now unless we see titans smashing Eren/Ymir when they're just chilling around doing nothing.
    That titan MIGHT have seen it (we don't know where it was before or really how good titan eye sight is.) but it understanding what happened there requires some serious higher level thought processes which we haven't seen outside of a few select titans. (See where they have a spike net with a bunch of titans stuck on. That's some pretty low level intellect.)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Not all Titans are buddy-buddy with each other. In chapter 39, there was a Titan who jumped on another and ripped an ear off.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/39/2

Anyway, the first Titan who attacked Eren only did so after he and Eren had a stare down

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/41

Probably attacked Eren cause Eren was making it way too obvious he was going to attack him.

As for the second Titan, it didn't look like it was interested in Eren until Eren roared at him.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/8/6

So, maybe there's a unspoken agreement amongst Titans to not mess with each other.

As for Annie, she's a bit more complicated. Right now, I think Annie lured all those Titans by hit and run. But I haven't a good explanation for how she got them all running into the forest unless Titans really are into cannibalism and can't wait to eat even each other when they sense/hear that a Titan's dead meat.

As for the Reiner being a Titan spy theory - right now, I don't think it looks like it. He looked very upset when Ymir turned out to be the Titan who ate his childhood friend. Also, with a back story like that, why would he be a spy for the Titans?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
    Anyway, the first Titan who attacked Eren only did so after he and Eren had a stare down

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/10/41

Probably attacked Eren cause Eren was making it way too obvious he was going to attack him.
    That titan has a hostile expression and all Eren does is look at it with a neutral expression and walk towards it before it attacks. Eren's actions are only hostile if you have higher level thinking skills to evaluate them.

Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
    As for the second Titan, it didn't look like it was interested in Eren until Eren roared at him.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/8/6

So, maybe there's a unspoken agreement amongst Titans to not mess with each other.
    That titan looked pretty angry the page before.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Ymir actually knows much though. There's all these different factions after different things.
    Last edited by ragna2400; January 15, 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ragna2400 View Post
    There's all these different factions after different things.
    I actually wonder about that. The only confirmed "faction" we've seen is the wall religion.

Colossal titan and armored titan? Who knows, but I say doubtful. If they are part of a human-titan faction hell bent on the destruction of humanity, their actions are strange.

Annie? Who knows. Her actions are confusing and the fact that her father told her to treat the world as her enemy make it extremely unlikely.

Ape Titan? Likely. I highly doubt he randomly decided to cross the wall, turn people into titans (if that was what he did), grab a 3d gear, then leave for no apparent reason.

I'm actually of the opinion that there is no grand conspiracy and that almost all of the actions were done by rogue individuals/cells.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    That titan has a hostile expression and all Eren does is look at it with a neutral expression and walk towards it before it attacks. Eren's actions are only hostile if you have higher level thinking skills to evaluate them.

That titan looked pretty angry the page before.
    For the first Titan, Eren stomped on upper back / nape area of his "mother" Titan while heading purposely towards the smaller Titan after they eyed each other. Among animals and even among people, staring/glaring is interpreted as hostile.

Second Titan does look mean but it may just be his default expression. (Eren's default expression looks mean because of all the teeth.) Also, that little Titan first appeared in volume 1 (http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/4/36), and already looked mean before Eren the Titan showed up.

Probably best to not judge on whether a Titan's angry based on his expression. There was a Titan who looked angry when his legs were blown off but another who kept on smiling even though half his head was blown off. And the little Titan who got his ear ripped out didn't look like he was mad while he was chomping on his attacker's arm.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ragna2400 View Post
    I wonder if Ymir actually knows much though. There's all these different factions after different things.
    A better question would be, is there anyone here who thinks Ymir is the same "Ymir" that's mentioned by that one titan in that one chapter where Beatrice posted some of the panels from?

Because I don't. I think there are other "Ymir(s)" out there.
    Last edited by Knifeshade; January 16, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
    -

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A better question would be, is there anyone here who thinks Ymir is the same "Ymir" that's mentioned by that one titan in that one chapter where Beatrice posted some of the panels from?

I think it's the same Ymir because the giant started getting all sappy when he saw how much Ilse looks like Ymir (brunette, female, and freckles). And then when Ilse started freaking out and decided to run the giant either realized that Ilse wasn't Ymir or it might have been his intention to kill Ymir and he was crying because he didn't want to kill Ymir, but had to do it anyway. Even in the last page, the giant seemed very sad, or at least the blood tears gave out that impression.

Link for reference.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it is the same Ymir, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it is someone like her mother who would also be named Ymir.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast