Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: DGM Chapter 218 Discussion/219 Predictions

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DGM Chapter 218 Discussion/219 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Kaite1211 View Post
    I have suspected that that particular theory might be correct for some time now, but as I was catching up on this thread, I started to wonder a couple of things due to some points that were brought up (I forgot the specific points, so I won't be able to quote them immediately, but I'll edit this post later):

-As proven by the Skulls, and Marian Cross, magic does exist in the DGM universe, but I was wondering... Do the the members of the Noah Clan, and/or the Millennium Earl have the knowledge and/or ability to preform magic (besides the use of Dark Matter if it can be considered to be a form of magic)?
    Yes, there's magic all over this series. The most prominent example is probably Cross but the entire Chang family appears to be able to cast (healing and other) magic and the Epstains are said by Hoshino to possess magical abilities as well.

Quote Quote:
    -Is it possible that Mana, and Neah had a third (possibly Mana's twin) brother?
    I suppose it's possible but I consider it highly unlikely. I would think Hoshino would have started to show signs of this by now, if so. Are you thinking the babies at the end of ch 213 (that look like twins) are Mana and the missing mystery sibling? Seeing as the ensuing chapters focus on Mana and Nea, I find it bizarre that the sibling wouldn't come up again from then onward.

Quote Quote:
    -If a third brother does exist, was he the one who went on the run with Neah with an alias of Mana Walker, or is it possible that the third brother is the one that became the Earl instead of Mana?
    We don't know if there's a third brother (or sister) in the first place. Nea's eventual arrival as a character has been foreshadowed at least since Allen's near-fatal encounter with Tyki, if not earlier. I don't think it fits Hoshino's well-developed plotting to suddenly bring another Campbell sibling into being out of nowhere.

Quote Quote:
    -If Mana D. Campbell, and Mana Walker are two aliases for the same person (I'm pretty confident that they are the same person despite the wording in my question), then what suddenly prompted him to change his last name to Walker instead of keeping it the same, changing his first name as well?
    They are the same person, I assure you. Have you read the D.Gray-Man Reverse novels? Their contents are canon, and the "Lost Fragment of Snow" chapter in particular is focused on Mana and little Red (he was simply called by the colour of his left arm before he became "Allen"). Both in LFoS and in the chapter(s) in which Allen asks Cross about Mana, it's explained/shown that Mana wasn't in his right mind (at all) when Allen was little. If he chose the name, it was probably a brain-addled way of remembering his brother Nea's last words for him (check my post on Mana = the Earl for a refresher on that from ch 205): "Never stand still, always keep walking."

Quote Quote:
    -Is there something strongly significant about Mana choosing to use the last name "Walker," especially when a quote from him that seems to hold more significance than it was first implied was "Never stop, keep walking?" If so, why wasn't it changed to something like "Strider," or "Rider" instead?
    see above.

Quote Quote:
    (Off topic, but I really hope that this month will bring a new chapter, and the end of the current hiatus)
    It was already confirmed when you posted that this month wouldn't be it (but always see the hiatus and hangout threads for updates on this status). Soon would be nice but I think we'll have to wait a little longer yet. I think that at the end of the hiatus we're getting a HUGE reveal though. My guess is that it'll finally be confirmed Mana became the Earl of the Millennium. But we'll see.
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 03, 2013 at 04:20 PM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MSofAofCOCA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Today, I had an epiphany.

Road has been clinging to Allen like crazy since their first meeting, yes? And then in 206 we have Cross testifying that Allen has taken on the speaking characteristics and mannerisms of Mana. (and then some time back, in a chapter number that i don't remember, Cross also references Allen wearing a "mask of Mana).
    ....And then in 218's flasbacks, Road is seen holding a sleeping/comatose young!Mana.
    ...I'd assumed Road had a thing for the 14th, and was therefore attracted to Allen by some weird bond. But what if she's attracted to Mana, because right now, Allen is essentially acting/speaking the same way Mana did?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read the manga in Japanese (it's also in a scanlator's translation notes in the margins for chapter 173 iirc), you notice Allen has in fact been speaking less and less politely and more and more plainly as time wears on. He kind of goes back and forth between polite speech and plain speech depending on his state of mind or who he's speaking to. It's very possible Road loved Mana but Nea didn't approve, but personally I think that's because she saw the Earl's presence in him (or beginning to take over) and she was attached to that. If you look at chapter 202 (beginning of Lavi's torture), you get a clearer idea of how much all the Noah clan love and care about their Earl (look at Tyki's jealousy that Road understands their Earl better than he does-- why does she think the Earl is "scared" to see the 14th?). They are willing to follow literally any order he gives them but in that chapter they've essentially noticed the Earl is a bit messed up when it comes to the 14th, and now they've got these conflicting orders about how to handle him (destroy him or protect him with their lives?), and just don't know what to do.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    It's very possible Road loved Mana but Nea didn't approve, but personally I think that's because she saw the Earl's presence in him (or beginning to take over) and she was attached to that. .
    yo yo yo i am confused by who you mean here, like when you say "the earl's presence in him" are you you talking about Neah or Mana or Allen please explain
    because i'm not getting how it explains Road's attraction to any of them ;v;

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey no worries. MS was talking about Road's clinginess toward Allen and relating it to her maybe having a romantic attraction to Mana, because Allen was behaving like Mana for so long. First, I acknowledged that's possible. Then I talked about the alternative theory that rather than it being "romantic," it's a semi-familial "affection" or "attachment" to the Earl being in Mana (which would be unrelated to Allen directly, but would explain her behaviour in 218 as referenced by MS). If Mana and the Earl are one and the same, it would be much like her behaviour in 202, where she's sitting on the edge of the Earl's bed (after he's apparently cried himself to sleep) and affectionately doting on him. Tyki says he's jealous in that chapter, apparently because she seems to have a deeper understanding of the Earl's feelings than him (even after he's been serving the Earl for 10 years).
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 06, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

why do the chapters take so long to come out!!! argh earl is the most mysterious character, and after 218 chapters I still don't get him. I think mana's evil side is earl. I think earl couldn't kill allen because deep down in earl's core mana's will was preventing him. I think the cardinal will do something crazy next chapter. Personally, I feel like Earl is the heart--which I know it sounds crazy but I'm willing to bet my money on it.

Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member candy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

so i decided to go back and take a look at some of the most important chapters of DGM, including the most recent chapters, and i want to bring back the possibility that at the end of chapter 218 it was not Allen speaking but instead Nea. what do you guys think nea would do in a situation like that and what of the other noah, tyki and wisely, who were hanging around the town earlier? are they just going to stand by the sideline whilst the earl loses his mind???? and what the hell will apocrophos (spelling) do?! sorry if any of this has already been mentioned in previous posts i can't really remember what's already been said since its been 7 months since we've last had a chapter....

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're talking about the last page of the chapter, the only one speaking there was the Earl of the Millennium. :/

Anyway going by the look on his face (page 21), I don't think Nea was in control again already. (I mean his plan was to let Allen see some "dreams" first and then sort of "fade away," from them, wasn't it? Now Allen has seen a slice of the Earl's, Nea's, and some of Mana's perspective too in that dream sequence/flashback.) Going by facial expressions, Nea should either be all emotional, or should be smiling that creepy slasher smile of his. The look on Allen's face is one of unbridled rage. Looks like he understood some of what happened in those strange flashbacks and it's only fuelled his anger at the Earl of the Millennium's tendency to feed upon tragedy.

If it's page 20 you mean, where it's definitely either Allen or Nea speaking, then I suppose it could be Nea but it kind of contradicts what Nea said already in chapter 215. It's possible, but I'd think Allen is just saying "Mother" because he's dazed and confused. imo, he gets a grip on things again in the next page when you can see how angry he is becoming.
    Last edited by kannazuki; July 10, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i did mean page 20 but "allen" seemed to be genuinely mourning the loss/memory of mother's death. almost as if he knew her as his mother his entire life....

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting idea. I'm not convinced Allen wasn't simply confused and sympathizing though. I believe Allen even did the same thing with both Suman and Kanda's memories, where he forgot who he was for a few minutes at the end of each series of flashbacks. I can't believe Nea would react with such anger on page 21 either. He was so friendly and familiar with the Earl (who I think is Mana) in chapter 189-ish, like he's made peace with the past and is only concerned with his future, just like he's said he's resolving to do in 215. Then there's also the issue of Nea telling Tim he'd give Allen "dreams" so he'll come to "remember" something.

*edit*
    Hey, I wonder if Tim's "death" (he's coming back man, I refuse to believe he's gone for good) will change Nea's plan...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually believe it was nea at the end of the chapter as well. Mostly because of three reasons (reference to page 20):

1) The drawing of Nea's face superimposed over Allen's at the top. For me that looked like Hoshino was indicating Nea being in control.

2) He then says "shit what just happened...... like a flashback". Why would Allen consider a series of images he's never seen before as a flashback when he has never experienced them before. Whilst it could be argued that Allen was just making a hunch, you still have to question why it is that there is no indication of confusion or inquiry (like using a question sign at the end of his statements). Even when he goes to say "Mana.....!" and "..Mother...", he says them with a sense of familiarity rather than confusion.

3) In 215 http://mangafox.me/manga/d_gray_man/v24/c215/8.html, Nea tells Tim to give Allen clues to stimulate memories of the past (not just memories of the past from his perspective in particular). Considering that the Earl himself could be considered a very big "clue" and assuming that the Earl has visions of the past as well that can be triggered in the same way it, could be possible that both their consciousnesses fused for a short instance in chapter 218 http://readms.com/read/dgrayman/218/1719/16.

Well that's just what I think about that but when all has been said and done I personally think reason #1 was the most ponounsed indication. However in my opinion I think Hoshino did that scene specifically to be a bit ambiguous to provoke the minds of her fans LOL (Hoshino you sadist) Really want chapter 219 to confirm this...

On a slightly separate note I actually don't think Nea forgave the Earl at all. In chapter 189 it looked more like Nea was trying to be snarky and provocative. Especially with the Earl choking him and Nea going as far as threatening the Earl's life, I'd say that a great deal of tension and hatred (mixed in with a strange sentiment of love) is present between the two.

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

also just because neah wanted tim to give allen clues doesn't necessarily mean everything goes according to plan. the earl is definitely a wild card here. is it possible that when the earl and neah/mana's memories fused allen was rendered unconscious so that neah was sort of forced out?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kitchel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Candy. When the Earl knocked Allen into the wall, I think Allen lost consciousness for a bit at that point, and for the most part when Allen sleeps a bit of Nea's memories emerges. I believe at that point in chapter 218 Nea, as Candy put it, was forced out due to the current situation.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Quantized's Avatar
    Country
    Imperium of Mankind
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree a memory did emerge in the chapter, but I don't think Nea took control of Allens body at any given point.
    Allen had a "flashback" from a real memory, a memory doesn't only contain information about the event, it also contains emotions, and Allen was probably flushed by these emotions along with the memory.

So when Allen "woke up" again from doing nothing in the physical world during the flashback, it was like he had just experienced these memories for the first time, despite of them being a memory, so I think it's normal for Allen to be shocked.
    After all, it's not any memory that he had himself originally, he never had time to "process" these memories, so I find it likely that he was shocked, and thus named the names that was emotionally important from the flash back.

Just my opinion

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Thinking about it for a bit, I never really thought this through probably before now, but the Noah doesn't seem to have lost the memories of their current host, if reflecting a bit on it.
    However what if "Noah" has a lot and really strong memories, perhaps it overwhelms most of the hosts and thus claim their body in a complete hostile takeover rather than a merger.

On the other hand, what if the Host is strong and have valuerable memories, then these memories won't be overwritten by Noah's memories.
    But perhaps even in weaker hosts, it seems like not all memories are overwritten, as such, the Noah has a problem, but that's really just an assumption.

In the end a Noah seems like a merger between the current Host and the Noah's memories, becoming a being that is neither pure Host nor pure Noah, but a being of both, different everytime the Noah finds a host.
    So put in other words, Allen can have huge influence of the 14th Noah, essentially becoming a mixture of the 14th and himself.

But if that is so, the question is whether previous hosts has any influence on the current host, or whether the host can permanently change the Noah's memories onward to the next time it finds a host?
    I certainly find these questions interesting, I hope we'll one day have answers for them!

But I find it likely that Allen will keep important aspects of himself, I think he's strong, but will eventually probably end up merging with the 14th.

This new memory that Allen got this chapter will probably be too strong for Allen to shake, it's become important for him it seems, and thus one of the first real merges with the 14th perhaps.

- - -

Essentially if the Earl's past different hosts had a different view on the 14th, perhaps this is what is causing conflicts in the Earl? Assuming the Noah's memories takes a part of their changed self with them onto the next host? or is it a clean sheet every time a Noah finds a host?

Also the possibility that the Earl's Noah is suppressing these memories, because they're painful, and therefore this is the first time the Earl is having these memories too, as such, it would explain his weird behaviour, although none of this can be considered fact or anything, just theory.

19. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kitchel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's actually a very interesting theory. A merge between Noah, and the host, thus creating a new being for the most part. I hope we get a clear understanding of this in the series. If Skinn Bolic, er I should say Raasura (Noah of Wrath), returns he could be a determining factor of this theory.

New Reply
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast