Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: DGM Chapter 218 Discussion/219 Predictions

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner CrossCrow's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DGM Chapter 218 Discussion/219 Predictions

posting two weeks later (like a boss)

Firstly, Kanda wasn't promoted to General, Teidoll doesn't have that kind of power. Teidoll was suggesting that apply for the open General position to appear as though he is still loyal to the black order. There is a road behind all this, Kanda has been an exorcist since he was 'spawned' out of the pools at about five years old I think he was. Kanda was 19 when Allen first arrives at HQ, so we have roughly 14 years where we don't know what Kanda was up to. And the Time Kanda spent guarding General Teidoll, (I think this spanned a two month period if not more) we didn't hear much from him. As far as characters go, we know very little about Kanda, although that said we know very little about Allen as well.

The reason Allen and Lenalee haven't become Generals is probably because; Allen was exposed as the 'Player' right after he exceeded the critical point, having ties with the 14th/Noah and he was basically placed under arrest, he couldn't go anywhere without Link following him. Lenalee did acquire the crystal type innocence first, but last I checked her sync rate hasn't broken the critical point, and the formation of crystal innocence doesn't seem to rely on sync rate at all, but rather relies on the values and desires of the host being alligned with the values and desires of the innocence, otherwise all the Generals would have crystal innocence by now (except Klaud, I don't think she would be open to eating her monkey)

Back to topic, Damn I loved the emphasis placed on the 'fat suit' I just wonder why the Earl even wears it at all. My prediction for the next chapter; continuation of the fight between the Earl and Allen, but to what conclusion? maybe even a panel of Kanda threatening to Slice up Komui if he doesn't make Kanda a General.
    Damn I love watching the machinations of Hoshino's mind.

2. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner LunaLupus's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

did I miss something or why is chapter 219 still not out?
    What do you see in those yellow Eyes..?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

You missed a lot of somethings, DGM is on hiatus again :'D You might want to check the hangout thread for more info.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner LunaLupus's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

oh.. okay... thanks
    What do you see in those yellow Eyes..?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCrow View Post
    Back to topic, Damn I loved the emphasis placed on the 'fat suit' I just wonder why the Earl even wears it at all. My prediction for the next chapter; continuation of the fight between the Earl and Allen, but to what conclusion? maybe even a panel of Kanda threatening to Slice up Komui if he doesn't make Kanda a General.
    Damn I love watching the machinations of Hoshino's mind.

/replies to this post fourteen days late with Starbucks/

BASICALLY EVERYTHING CROSSCROW AND CAPRICORN SAID. i've been following this conversation for a month or so and i've been dying to add to it but y'all seem to have done that quite beautifully already

but aNYWay, what i wanted to address here was the Earl's "fat suit" and what the deal is with it when he wears it, because i honestly don't think he has much of a choice when it comes to "wearing" it. In fact, it seems like it's something that is more of a necessity because of his Noah "memory" than conscious decision. Sure, earlier on in the series (like in chapter 188), it looked like something that he could pull of and put back on at will, but...in this chapter it seems a lot more involuntary than it did in the past, like he's somehow losing his sense of self to the Noah memory, which brings forth a lot of interesting questions:

like why did the mentioning of Neah and Mana completely make him flip out like it did? Like, why would those two characters cause him to "lose control" of what looks to be his Noah memory like it did? It makes me wonder (yet again) just what kind of relationship the Earl has/had with the "Walker" brothers, and wtf they did to cause him to get like this (other than try to destroy him, i mean, because really i think that's a pretty common thing to encounter when you're the perceived "big bad" of society xD)?

It also make me wonder how different the first Noah's memory is to the rest, in terms of how it takes over it's host
    because of the way that the Earl usually seems pretty um crazy whether he's in his human form or the "fat suit", but in this recent scene it's different, like the two sides are at odds or, more accurately, that the "puppet" is driving the "puppeteer" insane, instead of vice-versa (Puppeteer driving the puppet "insane" in making them Noah in the first place, which seems to be the case with the rest of the Noah).

Also, i dunno about the rest of you, but i think the fact that the "fat suit" seems to be reacting to it's hosts heightened emotions and going all haywire KINDA LIKE the innocence and akuma do with their respective hosts and the way that Neah KINDA does the same thing with Allen but you don't see the OTHER noah freaking the fuck out all the time, is... pretty interesting

oops went kinda off topic there, got a little excited :'D

but yea, the Earl was being real weird in this chapter, wow
    Last edited by RandomCuteOtaku; March 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kannazuki's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Earl's behaviour was very weird last chapter. Heartbreaking as it would be if true, I think the answer to all the questions about the Earl's behaviour and connection to the Campbell brothers (and Allen Walker) is probably going to be that Mana is the Earl. If this is your first time hearing that it might sound ridiculous to you, but it makes more and more sense the more you look through the manga and think about it. It could possibly even explains some things as well (such as the Earl's flashback in 187 of Nea saying he'd always stay by his side, or who Allen loves that he would have to kill when he becomes a Noah? Nea promised to kill the Earl, so it would be Mana). I'll start a new topic on it if you guys are totally new to the concept (or if you just want a detailed explanation).

I like the idea of the puppet driving the puppeteer insane, but if I'm right, the puppeteer himself (Mana) was already insane to start with, so why not the puppet too? xP

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i only meant that in the sense that the 1st Noah's memory (being the puppeteer) was being affected by it's hosts emotions and going wacko, instead of the other way around..

I have indeed heard that particular theory, many, many times (there's actually a lengthy thread about it on this forum already), and quite frankly i don't want to put much faith in it for the time being, mostly because of the two crucial flaws in it; the fact that the Millennium Earl has not died and, therefor, not had to regenerate and pass the memory on to a different host, in the last 7000 years, or so says the Earl in chapter 187, and the fact that, you know, Mana kinda DIED and was brought "back to life" then DIED AGAIN. I mean, i know the whole dying process in dgm is a bit iffy but, when someone is turned into an akuma and then killed off i'm PRETTY sure that that means their soul is kinda done, you know?

So unless the Mana that Allen knew and turned into an akuma was a different Mana from the one who's related to Neah and the one that everyone is saying became the Earl that we know in the series,
    or if you all can come up with some other way that Mana managed to worm his way out of the whole akuma incident AND around the fact that the spot for Millennium Earl was never open in the first place when Mana and Neah came into the picture,
    then i can't really settle for that theory as an answer :\

There are other familial bonds that exist that could possibly explain the Earl's attachment to Neah. They don't have to have been brothers to have a connection, and i find it odd that most of the fandom would jump to that conclusion, as Hoshino has done her best to showcase different kinds of relationships between people in this series and, what with how unhealthy the relationship between the two of them seems. I mean, we don't really know much about the relationship between the two brothers, other than the fact that, in the beginning they seemed to care for each other very much (which obviously would have changed since then, since according to the "Mana is the Earl theory", Neah now has his heart set on killing his brother), so the possibility that they're relationship could have taken a sour turn and become a bit unhealthy for one of them still stands. But the Earl's borderline obsession with Neah seems a bit beyond that of brotherly love, and if it IS, the Noah part of him might've taken whatever ill-feelings he'd had for his brother and made them stronger? idk that's all pure speculation right there, i just mean that their relationship doesn't look like a good one ;v;

As for Neah promising to kill the Earl and replace him, I don't see why he'd do that if the Earl that he was threatening to kill was his own brother who he has been, according to Road (chapter 205, pg.25), fighting for? Why on earth would he kill the one person in the world that had stayed by his side throughout the entire time that the MILLENNIUM EARL had been trying to track him down (chapter 167, pg.5) and kill him? If everything Neah ever did was for Mana then how the hell does killing the Earl, whom you all claim IS Mana, and becoming Millennium Earl himself benefit Mana in anyway??

holy moly, that turned into a rant by accident heh. well, what i meant to say was, you can believe whatever theory you like but i personally don't believe that one. Until we get more information on that front i will remain the skeptic in this situation becauseitlookslikenooneelsewantsto ;v; If i turn out to be wrong however i shall surrender gracefully.

Anyways, getting back to my previous post, i've just reread it and reread chapter 218 and realized that the Earl is flipping out because he's remembering things from the past but uh
    can someone explain to me wHY HE FORGOT? Also why is it that everytime he encounters the 14th he remembers a bit more?? Like, i think i've seen some theories around somewhere that the Earl's loss of memory could've been cause by Apocryphos but
    if it was than why is he only remembering when he runs into Allen?

idek if that made any sense, i've been typing this out for a few hours now OTL

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Without getting into that theory again for the moment:
    - The Earl is a "mad puppet" who has lost his memories, as Nea described in 198.
    - Johnny sparks memories of Mana because of the way he kneels over Allen to check if he's okay-- just like Mana did for Nea. In 218 Mana is seen apologizing to Nea, much like the scene in 212 (from Nea's POV), where Mana asks Nea to forgive him. I think those are both parts of the same scene, incidentally. The part in 212 comes first and 218 is after Mana's already hit the ground.
    - Allen spurs on these recollections further because the Earl is purely seeing him as Nea only. (He doesn't say Allen's name even once.)
    - Also, as shown on the first page of 203 and again in 218, the Earl has some kind of "eye connection" with Allen, so that probably has something to do with it.

Regarding Earl = Mana theory:
    That's fine, those are perfectly good challenges, which I've discussed with people elsewhere too. I can answer those questions (you still might not accept those answers, but I'd do so just to show that those of us who have accepted this as a realistic scenario have thought those things through ). I'll see if I can find that thread and try to answer you there when I do find it...

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

so i finally caught up after taking a break from this manga for a few months

and im glad to see my beloved rhode is still alive!!! her and kanda are my favorite characters

i definitely want to see what happens in this flashback, i cannot figure out what was up with the earl or fake earl we saw in the alley....

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The earl we saw in the Alley was not a fake earl, i thought that at first too, (jasdevi's creation ability always freaks me out). The reason the Earl was acting so strange was because of whatever inner turmoil this situation with Nea is causing him (remember, Nea did kill every Noah except for Road and the Earl). The strange appearance of the Earl appears to be the 'fat suit' [as i have called it] responding to these emotions and taking shape. Although we still have not seen or heard anything from Road since she disappeared when Apochryos tried to absorb Allen. The only times we have seen or heard anything of Road since then has been in flashbacks. Unless my memory fails me.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you're right, we haven't seen her since then except in the flashback. I suspect that Road's return will probably make things considerably easier on Lavi for one.

Nea and Mana's past obviously has some direct connection to the Earl, seeing as he's been crying over/trying to kill one of them and angry as heck at the other...

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    can someone explain to me wHY HE FORGOT? Also why is it that everytime he encounters the 14th he remembers a bit more?? Like, i think i've seen some theories around somewhere that the Earl's loss of memory could've been cause by Apocryphos but if it was than why is he only remembering when he runs into Allen?
    I've been thinking this over (for a scary amount of time) and the only theory I can come up with is that the Earl got hit in the head when Nea tried to kill him, or the trauma of killing Nea (or the trauma of being betrayed by and having to kill one of his Noah, which ever the Earl finds more traumatic) sent the Earl into a depressed state and he suppressed his memories regarding Nea.

I know, I apply real life logic to the fantasy world too often but it still has it's merits when the author chooses to use it. It can explain why the Earl has forgotten certain memories but still retains all his memories regarding other matters, and depending on which memories he forgot, it can explain why the Earl is all creepy, lovey-dovey I want to kill you weird with Nea.

It might be that the Earl has a deeper connection to each Noah than has been explored by the manga, and he naturally loves each one of them like a parent loves their own child. This explanation could explore the whole 12 apostles aspect of the manga since in the bible Noah only had 3 sons, even if you include their wives and Noah' wife, we come to a grand total of 7 humans on board the ark, not including Noah himself. Where as Jesus Christ had 12 Apostles, are you trying to tell us something Hoshino????

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're pretending to understand the Millennium Earl as a character too much here. I mean, what do we REALLY know about the guy? He creates demons from the sorrow of loss and has immense power. But where did he get his power, why does he create the demons, why does he look the way he does, and why does he want to destroy humanity?

It could be possible that the Earl has lost many memories of Neah in his attempts to dehumanize himself. From what I can tell, it is very possible that he used to be human. Something along the line happened where he decided to leave it all behind and detach himself from the human race enough to want to obliterate it. Or if he is some sort of reincarnation like the other Noah, how "black and white" (as Tykki would put it) is he?

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to know what I think, then check HERE. :P

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kaite1211's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kannazuki View Post
    If you want to know what I think, then check HERE. :P
    I have suspected that that particular theory might be correct for some time now, but as I was catching up on this thread, I started to wonder a couple of things due to some points that were brought up (I forgot the specific points, so I won't be able to quote them immediately, but I'll edit this post later):

-As proven by the Skulls, and Marian Cross, magic does exist in the DGM universe, but I was wondering... Do the the members of the Noah Clan, and/or the Millennium Earl have the knowledge and/or ability to preform magic (besides the use of Dark Matter if it can be considered to be a form of magic)?

-Is it possible that Mana, and Neah had a third (possibly Mana's twin) brother?

-If a third brother does exist, was he the one who went on the run with Neah with an alias of Mana Walker, or is it possible that the third brother is the one that became the Earl instead of Mana?

-If Mana D. Campbell, and Mana Walker are two aliases for the same person (I'm pretty confident that they are the same person despite the wording in my question), then what suddenly prompted him to change his last name to Walker instead of keeping it the same, changing his first name as well?

-Is there something strongly significant about Mana choosing to use the last name "Walker," especially when a quote from him that seems to hold more significance than it was first implied was "Never stop, keep walking?" If so, why wasn't it changed to something like "Strider," or "Rider" instead?

Anyway... I'll add the specific quotes that started this thinking process a little later...

(Off topic, but I really hope that this month will bring a new chapter, and the end of the current hiatus)
    Last edited by Kaite1211; July 01, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

New Reply
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast