Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: X-Ball Discussion Thread

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kaoz's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

X-Ball Discussion Thread

Figured we could use a thread dedicated to the x shots at once feats, given that they'll probably be in the focus in the near future.

Discuss anything related to them here, what they actually enable the player to do, whether the lack of such a feat can be overcome by other abilities, which levels the various characters are currently at, both from what we've seen and what you expect, and anything else that comes to mind.

Might make a chart with the levels we've seen so far later on and edit it into this post.

EDIT:

Spoiler: X at Once Levels show
    Last edited by Kaoz; December 10, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: X-Ball Discussion Thread

Yukimura really is at higher than 2. It's 2 half balls, which is wayyy harder to hit back.

Good idea for a thread, though.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    Yukimura really is at higher than 2. It's 2 half balls, which is wayyy harder to hit back.
    I'm not really doubting that he is, but we have no way to determine whether he's at 5, 7 or 10 (at least for the time being, maybe we can determine some sort of trend for other players and make guesses based on that).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    I'm not really doubting that he is, but we have no way to determine whether he's at 5, 7 or 10 (at least for the time being, maybe we can determine some sort of trend for other players and make guesses based on that).
    When he saw Oni and Kintarou rallying with 8 balls, he wasn't impressed at all, but that could mean a fully healed Yuki could easily hit 10? Or that he wasn't impressed because he is confident he would beat both Kintarou and Oni

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Yukimura should be in this at all.

He hit hit two half balls far away from one another. Unlike all the other instances we have seen X-ball, Yukimura is the only one who had to sprint to cover the big distance between just two balls. Half balls.
    I don't think two shots at full blast by an opponent in TnK that Yukimura was able to return really count to the 10ball that these guys are doing whilst not in TnK and none of them are that far from one another really equate to it.

He shouldn't be in this. Tanishi in theory can hit 4 at once. He should probably be here.
    I don't remember how many Kenya can hit.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    I don't think Yukimura should be in this at all.
    It's true that his situation was rather different from the others but I imagine that that point could be the origin of the x-ball feats, so I figured I'd keep him on the list. If everybody else thinks otherwise though, I'll take him off.

I don't remember how many Kenya can hit.
    Right after Tanishi returns 4, there's a panel with Kenya having 4 balls on his racket. Whether that means he can actually hit that many, I'm not sure about which is why it's marked as controversial. I would imagine everyone who played in the revolution should be able to hit four or more though since Tanishi didn't play.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
    Right after Tanishi returns 4, there's a panel with Kenya having 4 balls on his racket. Whether that means he can actually hit that many, I'm not sure about which is why it's marked as controversial. I would imagine everyone who played in the revolution should be able to hit four or more though since Tanishi didn't play.
    I don't think we should assume this at all.
    Tanishi and Kenya went on that stupid mission with Ryoma so I think Konomi gave them some added improvement along with that.

I don't think Oishi can hit 4 at once lol.
    I think they can all hit just 1 until stated otherwise.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Kaoz: like idk... someone like Atobe should be capable of returning say 5 balls stat wise (after the Irie match), but maybe you need to do something besides stats to actually create the additional balls... ikd
    Kaoz: so if someone who has the stats were to return a x-ball, he'd return them all as a single ball again maybe?
    Sai: maybe
    Kaoz: this would kinda work with how Yukimura returned Samurai Drive... he "split" to hit both halfs at the same time but they basically came back together again... and I'm guessing Konomi got the idea of using x-balls from there in the first place
    Sai: he did
    Food for thought maybe.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Sai words were so deep and inspiring.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Akutsu have 5 at the start?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we should assume this at all.
    Tanishi and Kenya went on that stupid mission with Ryoma so I think Konomi gave them some added improvement along with that.
    That mission had nothing to do with Ryoma getting 5-ball, because Ryoma got it from the sportsman hunt. Kenya said the only thing that mission accomplished was better balance. This means their 4-ball status (and Tanishi's skinny status) was most likely obtained by practicing on the irregular court.
    Last edited by Fayte; December 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything under 5 is not even worth mentioning. You don't see Ryoma practicing how to hit 2 balls first and the first relevent point is clearly 5. Unlike most techinques there isn't an 'equivalence' relationship, like you're never equivalent of X-ball by doing something else. The story was rather specific that you must be able to do 10-ball to beat Oni/Tokugawa. There's nothing equivalent of 10-ball besides 10-ball itself. The tiers are also absolute. Kintaro's 8-ball cannot return Oni's 10-ball until he surpassed his limit. I see the X-ball as mostly a tier mechanism to deal with annoying, otherwise unreturnable techniques. It's not unlike Yukimura initial ability to return any tech for no reason whatsoever but in a more quantifiable form.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Didn't Akutsu have 5 at the start?
    He first showed it during the team shuffle, there's no reason to assume he could already do it at the beginning of the camp.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you should put 'practice with X balls' the same as 'X-ball'. Kintaro and Ryoma are more or less supposed to be toe to toe with each other (they can hit 5 balls at the same time) and yet it took a 'my life flashed before my eye' kind of event for Kintaro to achieve 10-ball so I really doubt Ryoma is just supposed to be able to do 10-ball casually just because he can hit 10 balls at once in practice with Tokugawa. Oni, when he did the 10-ball, is clearly quite serious compared to the casual rally using 10 real balls between Tokugawa and Ryoma and I doubt this is because Ryoma has a better mastery of this previously elusive technique. Being able to hit X real balls is more like the minimum you need to do to even attempt X-ball but I just don't see how they can be the same.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Anything under 5 is not even worth mentioning. You don't see Ryoma practicing how to hit 2 balls first and the first relevent point is clearly 5.
    For the upper tiers this may be true, but when we're getting to people in mid and below, I'd imagine 3 or 4 at once are very much relevant.

If we're taking Kenya's 4 balls at face value for example and assume that it is indeed a tiering mechanism, 4 or 5 balls are the threshold for 1st String level.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast