Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Comic Ranking, Updated

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Japanese Comic Ranking, Updated

Japanese Comic Ranking, December 3-9

New volumes of Hunter X Hunter, Kuroko no Basuke, Saint Young Men, Bleach, Toriko in top 5

Rank

Hunter × Hunter 31

Est.
    Weekly
    Copies

Est.
    Total
    Copies

Publisher

Shueisha

always big hxh

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Comic Ranking, December 3-9

HXH's numbers once again prove that hard work do not matter. I bet plenty of authors look at HXH and say 'why are we working so hard week after week for???'

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Salce's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    HXH's numbers once again prove that hard work do not matter. I bet plenty of authors look at HXH and say 'why are we working so hard week after week for???'
    Well, if you compare one volume of HxH with one volume of Kuroko, HxH sells more.
    But Kuroko no Basket's author has won a lot more than Togashi this year, because he works harder and releases about 5 volumes a year.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Still, if we compare work versus reward...

But we have to credit Togashi, He climbed his ass off to be in this position.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I knew HUNTER x HUNTER was going to be the most sold manga this week ever since they announced vols 31 and 32 lol 32 will also be number 1.

@Phantron : Because not everyone can go on hiatus every 20 chapters for 1 year and still sell millions off of just ONE volume Togashi is BOSS.
    Last edited by GingFuriksu; December 13, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi has earned this over 30 years making manga, his name is now enough to sell a manga alone.
    He is one of the most well-respected mangaka still in the game.
    For over 30 years of career, he has created countless classic manga.
    There is a reason he is considered one of the 3 Ts.
    These sales don't lie, Togashi is a true visionary and all the hard work in the world doesn't necessarily mean quality.
    Togashi takes breaks a lot yes, but his story quality never drops, he is always telling amazing stories that will go down in history as some of the greatest.
    Good on Togashi and can't wait to see Volume 32 at number 1!

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Togashi has only one major success prior to HXH and usually people don't get away with this kind of laziness for just being successful once.

Sure he's talented but there's nothing normal or even deserved about HXH. Togashi pretty much lives a dream job for the lazy artist. Do your job whenever you want and still make millions.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    Togashi has only one major success prior to HXH and usually people don't get away with this kind of laziness for just being successful once.

Sure he's talented but there's nothing normal or even deserved about HXH. Togashi pretty much lives a dream job for the lazy artist. Do your job whenever you want and still make millions.
    I agree with you, Im a big fan of Yu Yu Hakusho, and I really like Hunter X Hunter, but Togashi seems to sell every time for some reason, when others have worked a lot harder recently at least.

Togashi is great, but other successful mangaka aren't as lazy, take Akira Toriyama he created Dr. Slump, and Dragon Ball which are two extremely popular manga (Dr. Slump mostly in japan), how popular was Cowa, I liked it.

but back on topic, Hiromu Arakawa, FMA and her new manga Silver Spoon is popular as well, but she isn't taking year off hiatus'. Yes, I know Togashi can do what he wants too but he seems to be a very special case, and Im starting to think these Hiatus' are on purpose to maximize profits or something, but I think the anime is going to catch up at this rate.

Though, I wont fault him, he has a pretty good set up, and If I were in his position I'd probably want to do something similar, I have done my fair share of slacking off as well.
    Last edited by leiatte; December 14, 2012 at 05:56 AM.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If the quality of his book is greater than the quality of another person's, shouldn't his sell more?

Should another mangaka who churns out manga consistently at a low level really DESERVE to be making more - granted, they probably WILL make more, overall. But I mean on a volume-to-volume basis. Do they deserve more?

And given the time-span between releases, it wouldn't be a leap to believe that, though another mangaka puts in more work overall, Togashi puts in a greater amount of work for each chapter and volume? That 1 chapter of HxH takes more effort then 1 chapter of Toriko, or Naruto, or something?

In this case, a greater amount of work is being paid off, as more work went into 1 volume of Hunter x Hunter then 1 volume of another manga.

Though whether or not this is the case is a question, it is something to consider.

If anyone knows American music, they know who Lil Wayne is. In 2008 Lil Wayne released (either as the main artist or as a feature) over 500 tracks. That's more than 1 track a day. That is, to a large degree, more prolific than probably any other artist of that year - yet for some of those verses, he literally just walks into a studio, spits a dumb freestyle, and walks out with a paycheck - literally putting in 1 minute of work for 1 minute of rapping.

Does he deserve more money/fame/respect then an artist who might, yes, take some breaks, but then spend a painstaking amount of time on each song for an album, and thus only get an album out every 2-3 years?

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not convinced Togashi puts more effort to produce a chapter of HXH compared to anyone else producing a chapter of whatever, but even if it does it's not like Shonen Jump even cares about these things.

In the end Shonen Jump is something that cares about the bottom line which is why it's very odd Togashi is able to get away with this stuff. Naruto has sold more than HXH + YYH combined but you sure don't expect Naruto to just take an year off like right now and get away with it.

Perhaps it says more about how there isn't anything else out there that's selling which is why Shonen Jump, an organization that is never known for flexiability, puts up with this kind of behavior.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at it that way, then, Shonen Jump probably puts up with it due to the dedication of the fanbase. Looking it up, I see that, while Naruto has 4-7 manga volumes released a year, for Hunter x Hunter there is a year gap between every grouping of 2-3 volumes, sometimes being as bad as one volume released a year for a span of years, and there was nearly a two year gap between volumes 27 and 28. But if the fans are dedicated enough to still respond to that schedule, then there is no reason for Shonen Jump to not let him keep it. It's the reason why a band like Tool can go 5 years between album releases, or why Daniel Day Lewis doesn't need a new starring role every year (or couple of years) to stay relevant.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member zzigg's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

^

right
    and who would resist a volume cover like this

we hope just to hear news about the return.... actually togashi may make his hiatsu even longer after this numbers of sales
    damn

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by souhail View Post
    ^

right
    and who would resist a volume cover like this

we hope just to hear news about the return.... actually togashi may make his hiatsu even longer after this numbers of sales
    damn
    Nah I doubt it. 500K - 600K is about how much a HxH volume sells in a week, its not anything unusual. Another reason being is because Togashi said he doesn't want the anime to catch up with the manga. And lastly, March 2013 is HxH's 15th Anniversary, that's why I keep saying he's going to return in March (but hopefully sooner) I can't wait till all the mangaka that like HxH draw their versions of the manga :3 I know Inoue-Sensei is a fan.

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that many of you don't understand is how successful Togashi really is.
    Take a look at this http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...e-volume-sales

As you can see Yu Yu Hakusho is seated at the number 10 spot.
    Now take into account that Yu Yu Hakusho sold that much with only 19 volumes.
    Now look at JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for example which has 100+ volumes.
    The difference in sales is not very much.

Even compare Hunter x Hunter's 31 volumes with JoJo's Bizarre Adventures 100+
    It's simply incredible that Togashi can put out so little amount of content but still be highly successful.
    The reason is that the quality of the product speaks for itself. No knocking JoJo's here just comparison of sales.

Togashi is not the same person as all the other mangaka, he has been making manga for a very long time.
    The only mangaka who matches him in time as a mangaka and still going is Araki (JoJo)
    Even Araki has slowed his pace dramatically, only putting out 1 a month, sometimes there is few month hiatuses.
    Even Berserk has the same issues.

These are mangaka who have been doing this job for around 30 years since they debuted with their one-shots.
    They are all old men now, pushing 50. They have families and health concerns, yet they still make manga.
    I never will understand people being ungrateful to mangaka like Togashi, acting like he should work the same schedule as the young mangaka.
    When you're in your late 40s, have 2 kids and a wife, would you really be able to do this job at a regular pace?
    Being a mangaka means that you must spend every waking moment working pretty much.
    I respect Togashi and I know if I was in his position I'd pace myself as well, we don't want another Yu Yu Hakusho incident now do we?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

27. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Togashi has earned this over 30 years making manga, his name is now enough to sell a manga alone.
    He is one of the most well-respected mangaka still in the game.
    For over 30 years of career, he has created countless classic manga.
    There is a reason he is considered one of the 3 Ts.
    These sales don't lie, Togashi is a true visionary and all the hard work in the world doesn't necessarily mean quality.
    Togashi takes breaks a lot yes, but his story quality never drops, he is always telling amazing stories that will go down in history as some of the greatest.
    Good on Togashi and can't wait to see Volume 32 at number 1!
    Seriosuly, imagine if Akira Toriyama was still making manga, it would sell like crazy off his name alone.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast