Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Comic Ranking, Updated

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Comic Ranking, December 3-9

Quote Originally Posted by Phantron View Post
    I'm not convinced Togashi puts more effort to produce a chapter of HXH compared to anyone else producing a chapter of whatever, but even if it does it's not like Shonen Jump even cares about these things.

In the end Shonen Jump is something that cares about the bottom line which is why it's very odd Togashi is able to get away with this stuff. Naruto has sold more than HXH + YYH combined but you sure don't expect Naruto to just take an year off like right now and get away with it.

Perhaps it says more about how there isn't anything else out there that's selling which is why Shonen Jump, an organization that is never known for flexiability, puts up with this kind of behavior.
    Yeah but HxH + YYH = 50 volumes. Naruto has 13 more volumes than YYH/HxH and it BARELY sold more. I think Naruto only sold a couple thousand more. If Togashi had 13 more volumes he'd have waaaay more total sales than Kishi. One HxH vol. gets like 2-3 million copies sold.
    Last edited by GingFuriksu; December 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

FutureFrog: Im not trying to be ungrateful, I appreciate What Togashi has done, and Im glad he's creating Hunter X Hunter , I don't mind that he is taking a hiatus' either as there are plenty of other manga to keep me busy, and these Hiatus' may help him craft the story better.

but, I won't act like Togashi can do no wrong, I know he isn't as young as he used to be and Im not trying to fault him because I believe he cares about the story he is creating, If he didn't why would he still be writing. I just think that Jump is really bending over backwards for him, and I don't know whats happening in Togashi's life, so I can't really make a fair judgement for that.

but, one other thing i want to bring up, is why doesn't Togashi just go monthly, even though I prefer weekly especially for him, they moved D. Grayman's author to Jump SQ, after she went on Hiatus 2 or 3 times because she fell ill, and she still takes breaks often, but not year long breaks anymore, so Im just wondering.

I really do appreciate what Togashi has done for us, and I really like the stories that he tells. Im fine with the Hiatus' like I said before, I don't mind too much, and I prefer it if it helps the him create a better story.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leiatte View Post
    FutureFrog: Im not trying to be ungrateful, I appreciate What Togashi has done, and Im glad he's creating Hunter X Hunter , I don't mind that he is taking a hiatus' either as there are plenty of other manga to keep me busy, and these Hiatus' may help him craft the story better.

but, I won't act like Togashi can do no wrong, I know he isn't as young as he used to be and Im not trying to fault him because I believe he cares about the story he is creating, If he didn't why would he still be writing. I just think that Jump is really bending over backwards for him, and I don't know whats happening in Togashi's life, so I can't really make a fair judgement for that.

but, one other thing i want to bring up, is why doesn't Togashi just go monthly, even though I prefer weekly especially for him, they moved D. Grayman's author to Jump SQ, after she went on Hiatus 2 or 3 times because she fell ill, and she still takes breaks often, but not year long breaks anymore, so Im just wondering.

I really do appreciate what Togashi has done for us, and I really like the stories that he tells. Im fine with the Hiatus' like I said before, I don't mind too much, and I prefer it if it helps the him create a better story.
    This all just my predictions, but I think he doesn't move it to a Monthly magazine because Weekly JUMP is the magazine that gets you the most money. ( pretty sure ) And also he still won't go on a monthly schedule lol Togashi likes to take breaks and spend time with his family. That's why he's gone for MONTHS.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There's really no reason to ever leave Shonen Jump if they let you get away with the stuff Togashi is doing. They are after all the biggest serialization around so if SJ isn't threatening to axe HXH there's no incentive for Togashi to leave it.

I'm pretty sure Slam Dunk sell by far higher per volume than any other manga in existence and Takehiko Inoue left SJ because he didn't like the schedule. He's generally even more well regarded by fans than Togashi, and although he has problem meeting weekly deadlines it's certainly not Togashi level of hiatus, and he generates more money than Togashi. Of course he also has some really fringe interest in topic (wheelchair basketball???) that is unlikely to be popular.

Again SJ isn't some kind of charity work and it's rather unique how it turns out because they're supposed to be very hard so far as meeting deadlines is concerned. SJ doesn't really care if Bleach needs 125 volumes to finally outsell HXH + YYH combined because it's not completely impossible to see 125 volumes of Bleach before HXH resumes, though I guess the fact that we may need 125 volumes of Bleach in itself explains why HXH has incredible staying power in terms of avoiding the axe.

This conversation reminds me of a fan parody with the Zodiac's first meeting dialogue, which went something like:

Original:

Pariston: I will be the chairman.

Pariston: Chairman Netero is too strong, so he doesn't understand how the weak feels, but I do. I will become a chairman that sympathizes with the weak!

Miz: 18 people, that is the number of missing Hunters while you are vice chairman.

Pariston: A truly unfortunate number. I believe when I become the Chairman it will be reduced.
    (Miz looks angry)

(some parts skipped)
    Pariston: Mr. Ging, I heard your son is in danger.
    Ging: Indeed.
    Pariston: Maybe I should visit him.
    Ging: Go on ahead.
    Pariston: I guess I shouldn't go, if he died then it'd be a waste of tme.
    Ging: Don't worry, he won't die.
    (Pariston looks at Ging menancingly)

Togashi version
    Togashi (as Pariston): HXH will go on monthly serial.
    Togashi: The Shonen Jump editor is too harsh, so he doesn't understand how a mangaka feels, but I do. I will become a mangaka that serializes monthly in Shonen Jump!

Miz: 180 weeks, that is the number of weeks HXH missed its deadline.

Togashi: A truly unfortunate number. I believe when HXH goes on monthly serial, it will be reduced.
    (Miz looks angry)

(some parts skipped)
    Togashi: Mr. Ging, I heard HXH is starting an Anime again.
    Ging (as director of HXH Anime): Indeed.
    Pariston: Maybe I should help out.
    Ging: Go on ahead.
    Pariston: I guess I shouldn't bother. If the Anime flopped it'd be a waste of tme.
    Ging: Don't worry, the Anime won't flop, as long as you agree to end the HXH hiatus in exchange for a role on the Anime.
    (Togashi looks at Ging menancingly)

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member souhail's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

hhhh good conversation.......

that why i call togashi the lazy genius.... hxh is a perfect work.. i hope he continue

with the release of the 32th volume ...i feel it coming

Spoiler show

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, I didn't even realize the manga is that close to the serial, though I guess that's not really surprising given there hasn't been any serials in a while.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

it's not that close ..the serial wouldn't catch up with the manga even if togashi did not return until next year.....i guess

the next year in june the chimera ant arc will start ..after it there is the elections arc ..so it will take quite a time
    Last edited by souhail; December 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Japanese Comic Ranking, December 10-16

March comes in like a lion, Chihayafuru, Attack on Titan, Hunter X Hunter, Saint Young Men in top 5

Hunter X Hunter 31 4th

147,147 Est. Weekly Copies

831,446 Est. Total Copies

2012/12 Release Date

Shueisha Publisher

surpassing ...Bleach..One Piece...Kuroko no Basuke...Toriko...Claymore...Beelzebub...and other known mangas

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kamen Rider Dragon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Japanese Comic Ranking, Updated

Well it surpassed One Piece because there wasn't a new volume released that week.

As for why they put up with his constant hiatuses well it just because Hunter x Hunter still sells regardless. Even the short story placed high in the rankings for Weekly Jump.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Which ones were released alongside then? I'm curious.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Which ones were released alongside then? I'm curious.
    Shingeki No Kyojin, Toriko, Kuroko No Basuke, Bleach, Shaman King Flowers, Reborn!, Claymore, GinTama and Nura. So I'd say that's pretty GOOD ! Out of ALL those mangas the only one that's higher than HxH is Shingeki No Kyojin. But HxH has more TOTAL volume sales than any manga on the list- 831,446
    Last edited by GingFuriksu; December 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, one might think that the sales can be attributed to the fact that people want HxH. And since we're not getting any new stuff (except for that 2-parter), we need to satisfy that HxH hunger somewhere -- the volumes even if we've already read them. It's like Harry Potter before. Kids who were waiting for the next book kept reading and rereading the ones that were already out while waiting for the next.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Comic Ranking, December 17-23

Detective Conan, To Love-Ru -Trouble- Darkness, Daiya no A, Kindaichi Case Files debut in top 4

Yoshihiro Togashi's hunter X Hunter 31. 14th

62,898 Est. Weekly Copies

894,344 Est. Total Copies

2012/12 Release Date

Shueisha Publisher

still big hxh

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I have a feeling it only counts Volumes 1-64 or so of JoJo's bizarre adventure because in 2005 it stopped being part of Shonen Jump and began serialization under the name Steel Ball Run, so its sales figures might be actually higher (almost certainly actually) Still for Yu Yu Hakusho which is only 19 volumes to be in the top 10 actually says a LOT about the power of Togashi! It makes me happy to see the Japanese sales correlate fairly closely to what I think are the 10 best Shonen books (and manga in general)
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

20. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece might as well be a Japanese cultural phenomenon so there's no point to compare to it in sales (it's sort of like trying to compare RPGs to Dragon Quest in Japan). HXH's per volume sales has always been very high though it's dipped some probably due to the hiatus. Honestly, a drastic drop in HXH's sales might induce Togashi to get back to work, though it's just as likely he doesn't care.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast