Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Connecticut School Shooting

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Connecticut School Shooting

Quote Quote:
    Twenty children and six adults have been killed in a shooting attack at a primary school in the US state of Connecticut, police say.

The gunman also died, but was not formally identified by police.

However, officials told US media the killer at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, was a 20-year-old son of a teacher at the school.

It is one of the worst-ever US school shootings, with a toll close to the 32 who died at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Early reports named 24-year-old Ryan Lanza as the gunman, but anonymous officials later said his brother Adam, 20, was the suspect.

He is thought to have killed their mother, named as Nancy Lanza, before heading to the school where she worked as a teacher to carry out the killings.

Ryan Lanza was being questioned by police, the Associated Press news agency and New York Times reported, but has not been named as a suspect.

'Safest place in America'
    Police Lt Paul Vance said 18 children were pronounced dead at the school, and two died after being taken to hospital. Six adults were also killed, and the gunman died at the scene.

One person was also injured, and police were investigating a second crime scene in Newtown, where another victim was found dead - understood to be the gunman's mother.

Police were also reported to be investigating a location in Hoboken, New Jersey, but it is not clear whether there is a connection to the shooting.

Dressed in black and wearing a bullet-proof vest, the gunman is thought to have had several weapons, although it is not clear whether he used more than one.

The weapons included two handguns - a Glock and a Sig Sauer - and a .223-calibre rifle, reports said.

The killings took place in two rooms within a single section of the school, police have said.

One parent, Stephen Delgiadice, whose eight-year-old daughter was at Sandy Hook School on Friday but was not harmed, said the shooting was traumatic for the small town.

"It's alarming, especially in Newtown, Connecticut, which we always thought was the safest place in America," Mr Delgiadice told the Associated Press.

A memorial service is taking place at a church in Newtown. People crowded outside the doors of the church as Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy addressed those gathered.

He called the attack a "tragedy of unspeakable terms", saying "you can never be prepared" for an event like this.

In Washington, about 200 people held a candlelight vigil for the victims outside the White House.

Deadly US mass shootings

Friday's shooting is the third major gun attack in the US in 2012.

In July an attacker killed 12 people at a premiere of a Batman film in Aurora, Colorado. In August six people died at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin.

Just this week two people died in a shooting at a shopping mall in the state of Oregon.

At the White House, an emotional President Barack Obama cited those incidents as he called for "meaningful action... regardless of politics".

"Our hearts are broken today, for the parents, grandparents, sisters and brothers of these children, and for the families of the adults who were lost."

Mr Obama offered condolences to the families of survivors too, saying "their children's innocence has been torn away from them too early, and there are no words that will ease their pain".

He wiped tears from his eyes as he spoke of the "overwhelming grief" at the loss of life.

The American flags on Capitol Hill were lowered to half-mast in the wake of the attack.

Police arrived at the school soon after 09:40 local time (14:40 GMT) on Friday, answering reports that a gunman was in the school's main office and one person had "numerous gunshot wounds".

Witnesses reported hearing scores of shots fired, with one suggesting there "must have been 100 rounds" in an interview with CNN.

Parent Richard Wilford said his seven-year-old son Richie described a noise that "sounded like what he described as cans falling".

Mr Wilford said his son's teacher locked the classroom door and told the children to huddle in a corner until the police arrived.

The authorities said they mobilised "every possible asset" in their response to the shooting. Teams of officers, some with dogs, combed the school and evacuated the building.

Firefighters reportedly told children to close their eyes and run past the school's office as they left the building.

Sandy Hook School - described by correspondents as a highly rated school has more than 600 students - spanning the ages five to 10.

Witness Mergim Bajraliu, 17, said he heard the gunshots ring out from his home and ran to the school looking for his nine-year-old sister, who was not hurt.

He spoke of an emotional scene at the school as anguished parents rushed to find their children.

"Everyone was just traumatised," he said.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20730717
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Connecticut School Shooting

I can't even express how devastating this feels. It's hard even watching the news. Other than 9/11, I can't think of anything this tragic, or this devastating. Most of the victims were in kindergarten. Right now it's to hard to talk about this in political terms.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

President Obama's speech was heartbreaking:

Last edited by Kaiten; December 14, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

This tragedy is beyond tragic for me personally. I cannot express how I felt with words.. when I saw the news how children got massacred. Moreover, this wicked crime happened in kindergarten where normally nobody would suspect that there is someone out there would done such an odious action. I hate to say this, but however sooner or later some crazy figures would speak about this tragedy in political terms, or specifically about the regulation about gun control.
    Last edited by Doraku; December 15, 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The children he targeted were his mothers students. He killed her, went to the school, and murdered them.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

No place feels safe anymore. There was a shooting in gurudwara in Wisconsin few months ago, we had Columbine and Virginia Tech, and now this. I mean, at the very least, kids should not ever feel unsafe at all, whether at home, school, or at a mall. Not only that, but there was another shooting at a mall (?) and someone stabbing twenty-two students in China. What the hell is going on with the world?

Sad thing is, I read that the mother got into guns after the divorce and taught her kids about guns, even how to handle it. She legally owned the guns, and despite her son being autistic, taught him the ways of guns. Why would she teach a mentally ill person how to handle a gun, or even put him near one? Was that kid ever violent or had outbursts? If so, even more of a stupid move on the mother's behalf.

Thanks to the adults at the school, and some kids from what I've read, many lives were saved. Man, thinking about the future that these kids and the young teacher could have had is just heartbreaking and sad.

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The children he targeted were his mothers students. He killed her, went to the school, and murdered them.
    I think it has been denied that his morther was even teacher there. She loved guns and used to share her passion with her children, by making them use those etc.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

It really hits you when you read the ages listed next to the children's names; they all had a bright future ahead of them, and it was taken away just like that. Huge respect also goes for the teachers who put their lives at risk for the sake of their students' safety. I heard that one of them was just hired this year for a permanent position so this is tragic all around.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply