Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Human ♥ Non-Human

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Human ♥ Non-Human

Some fantasy or supernatural shoujo and josei series would often feature a love between a human and a non-human entity. Say, between a human and a ghost, a human and a god/goddess, and so on. What do you think of such romance? Do you like it, or do you prefer love between those with equal status of humanity? Which human&non-human pairings do you like?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Human ♥ Non-Human

You are inspired by Natsume Yuujinchou and Hotarubi, aren't you?

I cannot really say that I think it is that much different from the usual romance between human and human, even though the stake is obviously higher. The possibility of not being able to stay together is higher, but it doesn't mean it cannot end happily. Happiness for everyone is different after all, it doesn't have to be growing old together with your love. Simply staying with them albeit a while can be counted as happiness too.

I do admit that it is hard to create an ending for this kind of relationship. If, for example, there are a human and a demon who fall in love, and then in the end, either the human becomes a demon or the demon becomes human so that they will be able to grow old/stay together forever, it becomes rather cliche. (Twilight, much?) Sometimes the resolution seems either too easy or too forced. If the writer is not clever enough, this kind of resolution won't work out.

The usual ending for this kind of relationship is bittersweet ending. Maybe the human and the demon decides to part because they prefer to part now rather than to be parted by death (like the human and youkai in Natsume Yuujinchou). Or maybe they keep staying together, and while the human grows old, the demon still stays besides him/her because the demon still loves her no matter what, then when the human dies, the demon keeps loving him/her but still goes on with his/her life (like in Hana to Akuma). Or maybe other kinds of similar ending. It all depends on the characters themselves (and of course, the writer). They have different choices and different view on happiness and love.

Sometimes I think that human and non-human love can open our minds of our own mortality. Compared to non-human who usually have longer life span, it will be easier for us to think deeper about love and what it means to love someone. Different endings can give us different lessons. Again, it's all about your values and perspective on love and happiness. For me, I do not like the ending where the human becomes non-human or the opposite, since I do not value giving up the identity as a human (or non-human).

I cannot say I prefer this kind of love or the human-human one since it all depends on the plot (whether it works out or not) for me, and also my mood. When I feel like reading more happy endings, I think I'll read more about human and human love, but when I feel like reading bittersweet ones, I'll read the human and non-human love.

The pairings I love? I can mention some like Hana and Vivi, Tomoe and Nanami, Gin and Hotaru... I read quite a lot of this kind of story... (Can't be helped since I love reading supernatural/fantasy genre where this kind of love often occurs)

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Human ♥ Non-Human

LOL~ I probably was inspired by them. Or I was reading quite a lot about different pairings when I made that thread.

In general, love between people from different status (in this case, their "humanity" status) always bring a bittersweet situation. So much must be sacrificed if the couple decided to be together or apart. I think that's why such theme is still popular even though it's used a lot. Also because it is a good medium to remind us about how we should appreciate our lives (or so I think; like what we see in Natsume and his interactions with those youkai).

All in all I like it equally with human-human pairings since they also have a lot to offer, chances to exploit, to make readers sympathize and think deeper about the message.

New Reply