Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Looking for a little advice or help with my manga :)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Northern Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a little advice or help with my manga :)

So I’ve been working on ideas for manga for a while now, well to be honest ever since I got hooked on it which is only a few years ago. My ideas normally are more Shounen-esk, with a touch of Seinin here and there. I’ve watched that much anime that all my ideas are probably collaborations of them all but it still feels like they’re my own in some way. I have two main ideas in my head, I’m going to try to make a summary of both in a few lines just to see what people’s first impressions are and if anyone even likes them for a start.

My first idea was made over years of watching anime, so I’ve made it span a good bit in my head. The main protagonist in this story is a young boy around the age of 16-18, who doesn’t know much about himself. One day he was found by passers-by and he couldn’t remember anything. Where he came from, why was he covered in blood or even his own name. The only thing he can remember is the image if a woman smiling and a deep blue sky in the background. Being the only thing he could remember he begins calling himself Sky.
    The reality of the situation is that he has been granted a power by an organisation that has a larger influence on his life than he knows. In order to make him more willing to cooperate he had his memories wiped and their main aim is to reclaim him as the weapon they see him as. As the story continues he’ll grow stronger, meet new friends, and come in to a new found darker power.

It may seem typical shounen but who doesn't enjoy a good story were the main character grows and suffers hardships along the way.

My second idea I've only recently began working on, adding to it in little bits here and there. I could see it as a much shorter series overall. The main protagonist in this story is a young man searching for answers, the questions being who massacred my entire town and why. The first part of the story follows him as he searches for the people responsible for the trauma he’s suffered so far. To get to the bottom of it all he begins to ally himself with people on the wrong side of the law, with himself slowly slipping into a world of blood and money. He begins to close in on information that could finally get him out of this world but it only ends up in him being butchered and left for dead by the people he was searching for. Before the final curtain closes on him, a new found power locked within his genes awakens allowing him to continue his quest for vengeance.

I've yet to find a name for this character; I’d want one that suits just right. His main choice of weapons are a set of handguns and chains. I wanted to make it a little different from the usual sword etc. His skills are later amplified by his superhuman abilities such as enhanced strength, speed, accuracy and healing. But not having complete compatibility with his powers he is limited to using them for initially 15 minutes. The story then develops showing other characters with similar abilities but with much more enhanced attributes and experience.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Anyone willing to help out with it or even with a concept drawing or two would be a great help. I have no one who is this much into manga near me so I’m sort of on my own here. Thanks to anyone who reads it, just glad to get my ideas out of my head for a change

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a little advice or help with my manga :)

I just want to help you so please don't take any of this personally. I carefully analyzed your ideas and this is what I think of them. Please keep in mind that I am just another user of this community and I am no professional critic, so you don't need to take everything I say so seriously.

For your first idea, I find it a bit strange that he calls himself Sky based off of the only thing he can remember (the memory of the woman smiling with a deep blue sky in the background). I think in that sort of situation he wouldn't really want to give himself a new name, but rather he would want to find out his real one. Also, if the image is of a smiling woman with a deep blue sky as the background, wouldn't the woman normally stand out more? Therefore, wouldn't his mind rather be occupied with figuring out who that woman really is?

Another thing that seems strange to me is the part where the organization erased the boy's memories so he'd more "willing to cooperate." What happened after? Did they lose him or something? You said he was found by passers-by, not the organization. Are the "passers-by" from the organization? Either way, I think you should clear that part up.

I think the second idea is fine except for this part. "He begins to close in on information that could finally get him out of this world but it only ends up in him being butchered and left for dead by the people he was searching for." What kind of "information" could get him out of a world full of blood and money? I don't think any sort of information can do that. Also, why would he want to get out of that world in the first place? I thought he entered it because he wanted to find out who massacred his entire town and why. Did he change his mind about wanting to pursue the killer? The part just doesn't seem clear to me.

I hope you can make use of what I have to offer. I wish you the best of luck with your work

Thanks for reading,
    -Changster1123

Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a little advice or help with my manga :)

None of this is ment for personal harm at all.

changster1123 in some ways I agree with you but, and this goes for you and xerobloom:

Please read the book: Maze runner and think of the first idea. It is very similar to each others and still different.

About the name, I thin it's a good idea to use something from his only memory to create a name. And yes changster1123 ofcause he should aim to find out what his real name is, but he needs a name while trying to find his real name.
    He is probaply also looking for that woman as the story goes on.

About the thing where you ask what happened before he got away. I think it sounds like a good way of making an on-going series about how he searches for his family and his identity and his past. Could really be good, so I don't think it needs any explanation.

changster1123 about the the information thing. Think of it as the mafia, they need to get him away so that they don't get cought. What kind of information it is dosn't really matter before close to the end. So therefore I like the idea they are both great.
    And the protagonist will maybe want to get out of that world after seeing what he has seen I mean he kills alot of people and sees alot of blood, maybe he wants to get out of it? maybe he regrets it? who knows?

Hope oyu could use all of this

Good luck

New Reply