Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster as Possible HBO Show

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster as Possible HBO Show

Quote Quote:
    The entertainment news website Deadline reported on Wednesday that acclaimed director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Pacific Rim) is developing Naoki Urasawa's suspense manga Monster into a possible television series for HBO. Del Toro and Steven Thompson (Dr. Who, Sherlock) will write the pilot that del Toro will direct. Deadline describes the story:
    The thriller is about the worldwide search by a young doctor for the most evil sociopath that has ever lived. He is a 12-year old boy, and the doctor's decision to save his life has unwittingly unleashed a Pandora's Box that leaves the doc battling to stop a plot of mass genocide.
    Angry Films' Don Murphy (live-action Transformers) and Susan Montford are executive producers along with del Toro. Thompson will serve as a co-executive producer, and Shogakukan — the publisher of the original manga — will be a consulting producer.

New Line Cinema acquired the feature film rights to the manga in 2005, and even assigned a writer, Josh Olson (Batman: Gotham Knight), to pen two possible films. However, Deadline reported that the project grew too big for a feature or two. Del Toro then convinced Urasawa to allow him to tackle the project.
    Found on ANN. What do you guys think? I know Monster has been in development hell for a while, but I think this time it might actually happen. A mini series sounds way more convincing than a 2 hour Hollywood movie, for one thing. Secondly, Monster's storyline has a cross-cultural appeal to it that means it'll be easier to adapt.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Guillermo del Toro Develops Monster as Possible HBO Show

I also agree that adapting Monster for a TV show would be much easier and better than a movie. HBO is one of the most popular networks out there so hopefully it will give Naoki Urasawa and manga in general a boost.

My only concern is that I don't want them to whitewash Dr. Tenma. Hopefully they can find an Asian actor who can speak German and/or English.

MH Senpai 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Monster...is one of my absolute favorites, if I had to pick one anime series I consider best this would be it. HBO miniseries is perfect as they could minimize cuts of story (unlike a movie) and there won't be concern about censorship. Del Toro seems like a really good fit, I hope this actually happens.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

A mini-series perhaps, but not a long running one. I think two or three seasons should be suffice for HBO to convey Naoki's magnum opus close to perfection. Obviously there's going to be some changes here and there, but hopefully they won't ruin the original work. I'm supporting the idea, in general.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope they make it different enough that it feels like its own thing. I definitely don't want to see a scene for scene adaptation.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner poncho1's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Del Toro: HBO Monster Show Would Follow Manga Closely
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne...-manga-closely

New Reply